Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 AM
ominous loomer

Default Best emergency candles?

Advertise Here

Was wondering what you guys carry for a candle if any in your back pack? Are all candles about the same on burn time to size ratio? Is some brands of candles better than others? I picked up a couple of the white emergency candles that I believe have a 12hr burn time. Anything better than this as far as candles go for the size?

thanks for any info in advance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theflatlander For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Prepared

yeah those jesus candles that you can buy for a buck last like a week of continuous burning and if your not into jesus he peels off very easy. I also use these as a method of heating my rv, i use from 2 to 6 of them depending how cold it is outside in a wood burning stove in my rv, the stove metal heats up from the candles and the co2 is directed outside in the stove pipe.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lunarkingdom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Target Shooter

Dollar Tree sells emergency candles, although they recently went from an 8 pack to a 6 pack and got shorter :-p
The Following User Says Thank You to hippytreehugger4ev For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 6,119 Times in 2,397 Posts

I have these for the house C i have 20 of em stashed in garage..

I use these for my GHB...REI Candle Lantern Candles i carry 3, 9hr each...

Along with my sierra cup, instant coffee and soup mix, i can use em to cook.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,618 Times in 1,299 Posts

Beeswax candles are a harder wax. They burn longer and the smoke is not toxic. In fact it is actually healthy for humans and helps with allergies - go figure.

But when it comes down to it, the best candle is one that you have!

I got some candles stubs from the church. Great find as they are at least 20% beeswax and although too short for church use, they are still around 2-3" long and 1" in diameter, which, I think, is a perfect size for the BOB.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Recent Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflatlander View Post
Was wondering what you guys carry for a candle if any in your back pack? thanks for any info in advance.
Jesus candles (those candles in a lidless jar with a picture of a religious figure painted on the glass) you can buy in most grocery stores are great for indoor (building, tent or cave) lighting and (to a lesser extent) heating but the glass jar is more weight then I like to carry when backpacking.

Short of a store bought lantern/cooking contraption I like the candle in a can concept. You take a can taller than the candle and using an old style churchkey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchkey pry/punch two or three triangle shaped holes in the bottom to let air in then place the candle inside. The sides of the can help keep breezes from blowing out the candle and the holes at the bottom of the can let air in to keep the candle burning.

In a pinch you can place the candle can between your knees as you sit in the cold, wind, rain, sleet, snow or hail under a poncho. The poncho protects the candle from wind and moisture while the burning candle in a can heats the space under the poncho.

"When seconds mean life or death the police are only minutes away."
-- John Connor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesertDave For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,332 Times in 2,041 Posts

In case you're worried about candles melting from heat, get some Liquid Candles.
Come in different size bottles. Got a small one years back for jack o lanterns.
Only bad thing is; lids are tough to pry off, but they don't leak either.

Heard different versions of poncho trick: Sterno can, tea lights and birthday candles.
I've also got some 60 hour Sterno candles, but have never used one yet.
The prayer candles are too dim for me. Okay for night light or bathroom use.

Last edited by bltjr1951; 11-13-2010 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: added sumtins
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,267 Times in 417 Posts

My Dad was a wax chemist and worked for several wax companies over the years. One of the things he came up with is a "candle in a can". Just a can full of candlewax with a wick. It had a pull-tab lid and was sealed with a pack of matches inside. I don't think it ever took off, but I have a bunch of them around the house. Taking off from that, I guess it might be a good idea to store the short emergency candle in a can with a resealable plastic lid (like a dogfood can) and a pack of matches inside. It would keep the wicks dry and you'd have matches right where you need them.

Mike
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeinLA For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,411 Times in 4,748 Posts

A box of inexpensive votive candles.
The Following User Says Thank You to WSierra For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 PM
ominous loomer

i like the idea of the jesus candle and bigger candles for at home use. what is the best bang for the buck when wanting one for a back pack? more of a BOB or 24hr pack. what I'm really looking for is the longest burn rate compared to size. not so much the price interested in the 60 hr Sterno candles but no nothing of them
Old 11-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,039 Times in 2,085 Posts

Yard sales
I buy as many as they will sell cheap.
I also will melt junk ones and reuse the wax in a new one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,987 Times in 3,332 Posts

After halloween I go to the stores and buy all the disposable oil candles used for jack-o-lanterns for 25-50 cents. They are like the 100-hour lamp above, but smaller.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 PM
ominous loomer

think im going to buy some of the oil burner candles and one of the mini candle laterns. are the laterns worth a crap or just waste of money and space?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,001 Times in 6,731 Posts

I do not keep candles in my pack, but my wife and I make homemade candles from time to time.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Default Candles

I don't know how long they will last,but I picked up 90 12 in" decorative taper candles at a local store that was going out of business. The price...$3.60 total. Anyone have any experience with these?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,410 Times in 31,921 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
My Dad was a wax chemist and worked for several wax companies over the years. One of the things he came up with is a "candle in a can". Just a can full of candlewax with a wick. It had a pull-tab lid and was sealed with a pack of matches inside. I don't think it ever took off, but I have a bunch of them around the house. Taking off from that, I guess it might be a good idea to store the short emergency candle in a can with a resealable plastic lid (like a dogfood can) and a pack of matches inside. It would keep the wicks dry and you'd have matches right where you need them.

Mike
It actually did take off. It's called NuWick. It comes in a 44 hour and 120 hour version and is quite well thought out. In fact, if I had to pick a candle for the BOB, the NuWick is what I'd pick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 09:59 AM
optimistic pessimist

Thanked 2,323 Times in 777 Posts

Why not just make your own and store them? Much cheaper and you can make them as you like them.
The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 10:16 AM
ominous loomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGal View Post
Why not just make your own and store them? Much cheaper and you can make them as you like them.
thanks for the suggestion. think im going to have to try it now after watching kevs video
Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 PM

i went for tealights as my emergency candles 500 4 hour candles cost me 19.09 ($30.73). i like that they have there own foil holders and being short with a wide base relitively stable
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 12:46 PM
optimistic pessimist

Thanked 2,323 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
i went for tealights as my emergency candles 500 4 hour candles cost me 19.09 ($30.73). i like that they have there own foil holders and being short with a wide base relitively stable
Tealights are usually cheaper to buy wholesale than make yourself... mostly because of the cost of wicking. Would welcome suggestions if someone has found a way to make them cheaper from home than buy. The wax tends to be inferior and doesn't always burn completely.

I am a candlewhore. and burn them all winter long. I have learned that by covering windows and doorways, if you burn a dozen or so votive candles...it can keep a small room nice and cozy. I have weathered a storm or two that way. It isn't always ideal and you do have to be concerned about creosote so keep the wicks trimmed. Cozy pillar candles. I would say my votives last at least 10 hours, maybe even closer to 12. I suppose I should time them and see. Just keep the wicks trimmed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoGal For This Useful Post: