Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Recent Blog:
Happy to be here!

Thanked 7,513 Times in 1,843 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2
Default Charter Arms AR-7 Review...

Advertise Here

So a deputy desperate for money sold me his Charter Arms AR-7 for $125. I bought it because it looked like a novel weapon, was light, cheap, portable, and seemed like a good utility/ trunk gun.

The rifle was designed by Eugene Stoner as a “downed Air Force pilot” survival tool, and was marketed as such. The entire weapon breaks down to store inside the hollow plastic stock. It weighs in at 2.5 pounds. The magazine holds 8 rounds, and it has a semi-auto blow back action. The barrel is made up of a rifled steel tube housed in an aluminum shell. The receiver is aluminum. All the metal parts have some sort of polymer coating on them. The rear sight is a crude peep that’s held fast with a screw. You loosen the Screw to adjusts up and down. The front sight was plastic, and adjusted just fine with my thumb nail (not too sturdy). Honestly, the entire rifle has sort of a fragile feel to it. You wouldn’t want to drop it lest something break.

I got it out today to zero it in and test it out. After zeroing it at 30 paces, I could regularly print 4” groups while proned out. At that distance. I couldn’t get any tighter than that, which isn’t to good even for my crappy shooting ability. I was able to hit a 8 x 11” sheet of paper 5 out of 8 shots at 100 yards.

The feed ramp is actually part of the magazine. The magazine does have a bit of play in the receiver, so no surprise it jammed regularly. About every other mag had a jam. I found that if I didn’t touch the mag while shooting, it wouldn’t jam.

Final impressions…It’s a piece of crap. I’ll be dumping it ASAP, hopefully for a profit. Any good .22 hunting pistol would be a better option than this AR-7.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Infidel/Warmonger/NeoCon

Funny how a design from 1956-58ish is still chugging along...
The Following User Says Thank You to strider72 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Hiker

Yeah no suprise really, the AR7 is nothing new and most people say pretty much the same thing. Its a great concept but the overall execution is poor and the gun sacrifices too much to be a serious tool.

I would recommend the Marlin Papoose if you really want a break down semi-auto .22LR. Mine shoots sub quarter sized groups at 50 yards with a 4x Scope and CCI Mini-Mags. The gun only weighs 3.25 lbs and it comes with a floatable carry case that can fit everything you would probably ever need in it. Since the stock is hollow I put 200 rounds in ziplock baggies in the stock and then I have a buttstock pouch (modified shotgun pouch) where I can put another five 10 round magazines in plus a 7 rounder in the gun. Thats 257 rounds with scope, sling, mags and tools with a total weight of around 5 or 6 pounds.

Since the pictures I have added a picatinny rail on the reciever. The scope rings would drift after heavy shooting so it really needs a solid base if you want to scope it. Since then, there is only a slight change of POI when I remove and replace the barrel. It only takes a couple rounds to get it back to zero so I don't consider this to be a deal breaker at all. It is really a true surival tool if outfitted properly, I have total confidence in it so far.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spitfire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Recent Blog:
Happy to be here!

Thanked 7,513 Times in 1,843 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2

Spitfire- I agree. I've got a Marlin model 60 and it's the bomb digidy yo. The AR-7 doesn't deserve to be in the same safe.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Endowed by Our Creator

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,073 Posts

Will, the AR-7 can certainly be a 'challenge'. Most people report more reliable functioning with CCI Mini Mags or Winchester Power Points. You may find CCI Velocitors or Stingers work well, although they may not be recommended by the manufacturer of your rifle.

http://ar-7.com sells a steel bull barrel, cantilever scope mount and collapsible stock that can get you 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Of course it weighs as much as a 10/22 and doesn't fit in the stock then. My next project is to get a steel factory profile barrel so everything will fit in a 14 inch wide laptop bag like the factory barrel, but shoot more accurately.
The Following User Says Thank You to patcash For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2010, 05:12 PM

i have the latest henry ar7...new barrel end is all metal; makes a big difference in the feed...i use only high velocity and good quality ammo; no cheap bulk stuff: cci minimag, stingers or velocitors...and my ar7 has yet to jam...and this is over 1000+ rounds to date...

not going to defend the charter arms version; clearly those were hit or miss...
The Following User Says Thank You to pilote For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Mu experience is like the above.
The CA versions do appear to be "hit or miss". Some good reports but the one I shot was not a winner.

Tried forever to get the AR-7 sighted in and once I finally got the front sight drifted correctly and the accuracy improved, then the jamming started...
The Following User Says Thank You to fatcat55 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,438 Posts

I had the same issues as you with the AR7 yrs ago. Got rid of it.

Tried the new Henry AR7 and it wasnt much of an improvement. To finicky when it comes to ammunition that would feed half reliably.

About the only thing either did well was float.

Marlin Mod 60, or Ruger 10-22 are much better rifles, and both have been reliable shooting various loads of 22lr for me at least.

I really liked the concept, but the design just didnt live up to my expectations, regarding the Charter, and the Henry.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcash View Post
Will, the AR-7 can certainly be a 'challenge'. Most people report more reliable functioning with CCI Mini Mags or Winchester Power Points. You may find CCI Velocitors or Stingers work well, although they may not be recommended by the manufacturer of your rifle.

http://ar-7.com sells a steel bull barrel, cantilever scope mount and collapsible stock that can get you 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Of course it weighs as much as a 10/22 and doesn't fit in the stock then. My next project is to get a steel factory profile barrel so everything will fit in a 14 inch wide laptop bag like the factory barrel, but shoot more accurately.
NEVER buy ANYTHING from ar7.com

they are crooks. they sell junk. after the sale they dont wanna know you.
nothing fits, nothing works as advertised. just a FYI
Old 11-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I love this forum

why does the rossi combo get overlooked? cuz its not tacticool? hands down the best survival/packable type rifle there is right now. .22 and .410, light weight, small, accurate, dependable, packable, hollow stock. versatile. oh yeah and costs $99 brand new with a warranty.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=trixie;2086392]why does the rossi combo get overlooked? cuz its not tacticool? hands down the best survival/packable type rifle there is right now. .22 and .410, light weight, small, accurate, dependable, packable, hollow stock. versatile. oh yeah and costs $99 brand new with a warranty.

cause i never heard of it...now that i know about it, it looks kinda neat; i might get one...
Old 11-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Survivor

[quote=pilote;2086635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie View Post
why does the rossi combo get overlooked? cuz its not tacticool? hands down the best survival/packable type rifle there is right now. .22 and .410, light weight, small, accurate, dependable, packable, hollow stock. versatile. oh yeah and costs $99 brand new with a warranty.

cause i never heard of it...now that i know about it, it looks kinda neat; i might get one...
The days of the rossi combo and trifecta is over, now that they have produced this...
http://www.rossiusa.com/hot_items.cfm

Pick your favorite rimfire, shotgun, centerfire, and even a muzzle loader if the urge is there.

It is often overlooked because having a single shot in a defensive situation is not optimum, especially if thier is more than one hostile, and/or armed.

Tacticool is for video games.

11B
Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM
I love this forum

a survival rifle and a defensive rifle are usually differnt things although sometimes maybe the same. when they are the same the single shot part doesnt matter so much.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Endowed by Our Creator

Quote:
NEVER buy ANYTHING from ar7.com

they are crooks. they sell junk. after the sale they dont wanna know you.
nothing fits, nothing works as advertised. just a FYI
I wouldn't call them crooks.

The stock I bought from them fit perfectly. The instructions with the barrel said it might not fit all the older receivers. I sanded the blue off the barrel with some emery cloth where it goes into the receiver and it fits into a Charter Arms receiver. I would like to see them post the instructions on their site, so people aren't suprised like we both were. The barrel is tighter than the factory barrel, but that may be why it groups so much better. If I couldn't stand the few seconds longer to install the tight barrel, I would choose a pistol over the AR-7.

On their website, they say they take 2-3 weeks to ship and they charge credit cards when you place the order. I think it took a month for my order to arrive.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcash View Post
I wouldn't call them crooks.

The stock I bought from them fit perfectly. The instructions with the barrel said it might not fit all the older receivers. I sanded the blue off the barrel with some emery cloth where it goes into the receiver and it fits into a Charter Arms receiver. I would like to see them post the instructions on their site, so people aren't suprised like we both were. The barrel is tighter than the factory barrel, but that may be why it groups so much better. If I couldn't stand the few seconds longer to install the tight barrel, I would choose a pistol over the AR-7.

On their website, they say they take 2-3 weeks to ship and they charge credit cards when you place the order. I think it took a month for my order to arrive.
i say your associated with them somehow. i ordered some stuff from them based on a members reccomendations.

it was ****.

NOTHING fit. and the "bull" barrel? forget about it, it took a LOT of sanding to fit, and when it did, it shot 2 foot groups at 10 yards. the rounds were all over the place. absolute garbage. even the mags they sell are aftermarket, which DO NOT EVEN fit in the rifle much less feed.

they are crooks. everything they sell is garbage. they have shills like you post on "survivalist" sites and "gun" sites to sell product, which is ****.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Survivor

Quote:
a survival rifle and a defensive rifle are usually differnt things although sometimes maybe the same. when they are the same the single shot part doesnt matter so much.
If your using a rifle to defend yourself, then it IS your survival rifle. Nothing wrong with choosing a semiautomatic rifle for both roles, provided that the rifle chosen has proven itself to be reliable. Anyone else could be a threat, and may be rollin in a group. Shooting one, then calling timeout to reload may not be an option.It matters a whole lot IMO.

If the threat is simply starving to death, then I would agree with you to a certain extent, although a body with a 10-22 could drop more tree rats in less amount of time vs a single shot, have better odds of hitting it if the first shot missed vs a single shot, and overall weight of both is about the same.

The best attribute of the Rossi is the fact that it has less moving parts while in operation, so the odds of something going wrong is lessened...... and the rifle is so easy to take care of that a blind caveman could do it. ( No offense to them cave guys out there)

With that being said, I would pick the Rossi over an AR7, as I owned both, and the AR7 was not reliable enough for me to use it for anything other than a range toy. I prefer the 10-22 or Marlin mod 60 to either of the latter.

11B
Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,637 Times in 2,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider72 View Post
Funny how a design from 1956-58ish is still chugging along...
barely chugging along.
The Following User Says Thank You to matt18920 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 PM
I love this forum

the AR7 is the only rifle i have ever bought, used, then sold.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Endowed by Our Creator

Quote:
i say your associated with them somehow. i ordered some stuff from them based on a members reccomendations.

it was ****.

NOTHING fit. and the "bull" barrel? forget about it, it took a LOT of sanding to fit, and when it did, it shot 2 foot groups at 10 yards. the rounds were all over the place. absolute garbage. even the mags they sell are aftermarket, which DO NOT EVEN fit in the rifle much less feed.

they are crooks. everything they sell is garbage. they have shills like you post on "survivalist" sites and "gun" sites to sell product, which is ****.
Sorry, I'm not associated with them at all, except I have placed a couple orders with them online.

Like I said before, I wish they would have warned me that the barrel might require fitting before I ordered it. Sounds like I removed the right amount of metal from mine. If I was getting 2 foot groups at 10 yards instead of 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards, I would be complaining too!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt18920 View Post
barely chugging along.
i don't think so...it still sells very well; everytime i see one used it's gone in a few days...and i would depend on my henry ar7 in a survival situation, i just wouldn't load it up on the cheapest ammo available, which is what most people would do and why it would fail them...i know mine will not fail exclusively fed on minimags.