Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 11-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,488 Times in 4,338 Posts
Default Man Made Flawless Gem Quality Diamonds

Advertise Here

Small poor quality man made diamonds are fairly common. Single Crystal Flawless gem quality diamonds are very rare.

To my knowledge they are only produced one place in the world. A former Soviet Military Science Complex. Debeers seems to have some smaller synthetic diamonds and much larger ones, but they are not gem quality. I'm not sure "where" Debeers makes their synthetic diamonds.

Years ago I sold a Robot to the owner of Lucent Diamonds. Lucent offers these "perfect" "real" diamonds. My Physicist business partner was inspecting the diamonds and apparatus for "smoke and mirrors".

You won't find prices on the links, the diamonds are many times the cost of naturally occuring ones.

By adding elements,(other than Carbon), colored diamonds are created. Again these are "real" diamonds.

After diamonds are created, by the Earth or by Man, they fluoresce under blacklight, after millions of years they no longer do this. All man made diamonds fluoresce, very few natural ones do.

Anyway, because of extreme temps and pressures needed production is limited and slow.

The U.S. Military has shown interest in the diamonds for their semiconductor properties and extreme resistance to heat.

Anyway, a buddy of mine asked me about this today, I thought I would pass along the story and some links. The second link, shows some technical details of the Lucent Diamonds and their Spectra details. I'm told the apple green diamonds were very pricey and sold well to wealthy japanese business men.

http://www.lucentdiamonds.com/

http://www.adamasgem.org/russian.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_diamond
The Following User Says Thank You to Robot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 06:30 AM

I know that green diamonds get their color as a result of natural exposure to radioactive materials. that's why it is difficult to determine whether diamonds are truly natural green diamonds or treated by man.
The Following User Says Thank You to rachel.lavie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel.lavie View Post
I know that green diamonds get their color as a result of natural exposure to radioactive materials. that's why it is difficult to determine whether diamonds are truly natural green diamonds or treated by man.
Thanks for the reply.

Lucent Diamonds uses the "same recipe" as Mother Nature to achieve their green diamonds. For some reason Japan is one of thier bigger customers for green diamonds.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 AM
bear

yep, and soon they'll be making gold out of lead (non radiation).
cool
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerian For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Para Bellum

Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,311 Posts

So if a man made diamond is flawless, can you even tell the difference between natural and man made? Or does it even matter, if they have identical qualities?
The Following User Says Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderBob View Post
So if a man made diamond is flawless, can you even tell the difference between natural and man made? Or does it even matter, if they have identical qualities?
"Almost" no natural diamond is "truly" flawless, or "single crystal" this is one way.

Also when a diamond is "made" by either man OR nature, it has a cetain type of fluorescent signiture. This signiture changes with age.

Since no diamonds currently being mined have been made by nature "recently", man made diamonds have a unique fluorescent signiture. Identifying and verifying this signitue is part of what my former business partner was paid to do.

It matters that you can tell the difference. Man made gem quality diamonds are more rare and cost more than their natural counterparts.

My "understanding" is that Nature, here on Earth, is currently not making any more large gem quality diamonds. The conditions for the making of these diamonds was an unusual situation, and no longer exists on our planet.

Last edited by Robot; 04-24-2012 at 08:30 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Robot For This Useful Post: