Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Manmade and Natural Disasters
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 AM

Post Where Do i go when disaster strikes?

Advertise Here

I am brand new to this site so excuse me if i'm asking a question that's already been answered...I live in the Inland Empire (60 Miles East of Los Angeles). If disaster were to strike, i wanna get the hell out of major population areas. 1) where do i go and how do i plan it? Would I look for an area somewhere at the boundry of my car's gas tank? 2) for my wife and i, what items should i bring other than guns, ammo and as much food/water we are capable of carrying? 3) how do we find other "Friendlies" out there through some sort of portable communication? 4) anything i have missed? Thanks!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,669 Times in 2,379 Posts

You don't have many good options to travel. Perhaps head up the 15 towards Victorville. Once you are on the far side of the San Gabriels there are plenty of roads to take wherever you want. The alternate route is to head east into the desert towards Joshua Tree by the 10 or 210 or maybe the Salton Sea. Or south to Temecula via 15 or 215. Or you could just try to scurry up into the mountains and wait it out at Crystal Lake or Mount Baldy or Big Bear like every one else N of the 210 will try.

The map shows hwy 39 going thru to hwy 2. It doesn't. It is gated just past Crystal lake and has been for many years due to landslide problems. It would be viable for bike or motorcycle.

I don't see lots of route options for ANY of these possibilities. Too many people channeled onto too few roads in the middle of butt blistering desert. Disaster might well leave surface streets and freeways impassable. It did after the Northridge quake. Besides, there is no point in bugging out until you've a place to bug out to. If you plan to bug out, getting the place is priority one.

The only friendlies out there are people you already know. There is no network of "approved" survivalists just waiting to help you out.

Bugging in makes much more sense. Keep your preps quiet and defend yourself if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Image1.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 PM

to my hunting camp in the hills I'll be heading to the hills
Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Certified Organic Grower

Location: Enjoying life in California growing food for the masses while sipping iced tea
Thanked 4,513 Times in 1,692 Posts

Unless you live in the city, I would not bug out. The danger level increases once you leave your home. Load up on preps, secure your dwelling, and hold your own if possible. Bugging out to towards the Mojave desert can turn you into food for the wildlife or worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeftCoast Grower For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Thanked 10,314 Times in 4,418 Posts

try networking with like minded people you know but be very selective in those associations.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,868 Times in 636 Posts

If you can not sale out and move to a more rural area then in a shtf deal, bugging in would be your best bet. As mentioned, leaving your home into hostile territory (which will be everywhere) is not a good idea. Try to put things in place at your home that will deter problems. Bars on windows, double reinforce your doors, very strong dead bolts, dogs with an attitude for alarming you and for deterring scumbags. Anything you can think of no matter how small that can make your family safer is crucial. Unfortunately I don't think your chances of leaving the Los Angeles area in a true shtf scenario sounds like a good idea at all, especially if you have wife and kids with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartan300 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 PM

What makes you think you would get anywhere on a public road when millions of others with the same idea and no preparation would be clogging the roads with break downs and running out of fuel. Not to mention government road blocks. Remember, people in LA during Katrina were NOT ALLOWED to leave and forced into the stadium?

ATV / Off road bike / Sail boat.

Hunker down during daytime and travel at night with no lights.

Unlikely anyone will be "friendlies" including and especially the authorities.

There are ways that if you pre plan with a few others who are dependable you can make your neighborhood inaccessible to outsiders in a very short time, and more defend able at the same time. Only bug out if you must. Have a plan, and a back up plan when that one doesn't work. Own chain saws.

A life long friend in my neighborhood and I both own large areas of wilderness 300 miles north of Boston. He couldn't understand why I insisted on buying on a salt water river til I asked him how he planned on getting to his property in an emergency.

The only reason I'd bug out is if it was evident my front door was going to be smashed down. If your front door is smashed down, it would be a shame if the highlight of the breach was the door hitting the floor, if you get my gist. Diversions increase your escape time and give you a head start out the back, which you already planned, and planned again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spindrift For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Food Storage Solutions

Your home unless you are at ground zero is and will always be the best place. All the hype of bugging out is just that, hype. That doesn't mean there isn't a time and place for that - but unless your home is ground zero I would hunker down.

Store food preps, guns, ammo and most importantly get your family on the same page as you
Old 11-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Surviving selling labor

Hmmm, where do you go in California when disaster strikes? The only thing I need to know to answer that question is, how's your relationship with God?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 6,821 Times in 2,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNGEN View Post
Hmmm, where do you go in California when disaster strikes? The only thing I need to know to answer that question is, how's your relationship with God?
That depends where you're at. My location would be a quick bugout to the foothills or north to my Aunts house.
IF i needed to.

Where the OP is located, my opinion, if he owns his property and doesn't have close neighbors is to:

1) Make SURE you can secure a water source. You're in the desert and that will be your most pressing concern.

2) Build yourself a "safe area" or room in your house, even if it's under ground. You will need a place to hide when the heards of bleating sheeple come rumbling through your area. And they will, trust me. Make sure it's big enough to hide guns, ammo, food, water and your family.

If you rent? GET OUT while you can. Move to somewhere else. Desert travel is NO JOKE! You can't do anything with someone elses property. If the Land lord gets desperate, he may very well bug out to where you're at and "remove" you. If you HAVE to travel through the desert:

1)Travel at night with as little light as possible, as quickly as possible.

2) Take PLENTY of water! You're in the desert. At least three gallons/person/day MINIMAL for drinking only, for as long as you're doing desert travel.

3) Gasoline. If you see "it" coming, store up as much as you can. You do NOT want to run out in the desert.

4) You need a trailer to carry supplies. You're going through the desert, you'll need those supplies. Especially if you're stopped in the desert.

5) Make sure your BOV is well maintained, You DON'T want to break down in the DESERT. Desert survival is NO fun, and it's not a joke!

Normally, I am one of those people who does with as little as I can possibly get by with. However, if I had to prepare for traveling across the desert with my family, I'll take as much "gear" as I can get my hands on.

I have survived in the desert for a week with almost no gear at all, ONCE.
I was able to find water, but I got pretty thirsty and hungry a few times. I would NOT want to do this toting my family around, you'll most likely get them killed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 04:58 PM

If the SHTF how do you think those of us with mortgages will make it, do you think they will just kick us out?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 6,821 Times in 2,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKAREN View Post
If the SHTF how do you think those of us with mortgages will make it, do you think they will just kick us out?
Depends on how bad it is, It might be bad enough that they might be more worried about themselves and there families to worry about kicking you out.
Maybe not. Besides that, I was talking about if you OWN your house (such as it is). If you have a mortgage, you do not own it.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,223 Times in 536 Posts

I relocated here from looniefornia about 30 years ago, and have never regretted it. I would strongly advise you to consider doing the same thing.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Buy a 5-10 acre lot in the woods by water if you can, Also may want to consider building a hidden bunker/underground cabin stocked and ready to go. enough for the family. Make access to the camp as hidden as possable.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Master of Disaster

Hi Ebay.
I worked just south of you with Red Cross during the fires in 2007. Mostly S. Bernadina and Riverside, so I don't know that much about Inland Empire. With some disasters (wildfires) you may not have a choice of staying put. My suggestion is to start thinking hard about your choices now. Most of the people that show up in our shelters are those that drove till the tank was empty and we were their only option. While we will always try to make your stay as comfortable and safe as possible, a shelter is not a vacation. It should always be your last option. Plan now so that you don't become a refugee.