Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 05-20-2008, 05:12 AM

Default Tanto vs. Drop-point

Advertise Here

I was just wondering about the advantages/disadvantages between a Tanto style blade & a traditional blade especially as a survival knife.

Any info would be helpful

Thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Modern Day Nessmuk

I despise tanto blades. Tanto blades are ONLY For fighting. Droppoints are more useful, and can be used in a variety of ways.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giguere For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Something to consider that all knives are sort fo specialized basicall a survivalist should look at knives in more than one class like fighting, hunting, Fishing ect. One will not do all. At best you get a compromise. Defense I look to SOG's and Spyderco's Hunting Gerber Gator is a favorite. Compromise is my Cammillus Pilots Survival Knife. pocket every day Swiss Army
The Following User Says Thank You to forrestdweller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 7,881 Times in 3,575 Posts
Default Drop point

I have to side with Giguere on this one. Between the two, definitely go with a drop-point style blade. Tantō were designed as stabbing/slashing fighting knives. For survival purposes you'll be far and away better off with a strong drop-point blade.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:19 PM
veldskoen no socks

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,426 Posts

Perhaps Gents but a Tanto blade in an emergency is better than no blade at all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the hog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2008, 01:21 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 7,881 Times in 3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hog View Post
No argument there, but the thread was about a choice between the two. But you're right, something is generally better than nothing.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I love guns

advantages and disadvantages of the Tanto style blade & a traditional blade. This is my thought, I have sevevral blade designs of each.
The Tanto advantages is a strong point and the blade thickness is usually good. They are good for stabing and Puncturing things. but they were desined to Penetrate Armor. Limited in other uses.
A traditional blade or Drop-point or clip-point usually have a wider blade, and decent thickness. They are an Ideal for cutting, skinning, and carving. Some of my favorites are; Cold Steel SRK, Gerber Big Rock Camp Knife.
They are better choice of a survival Knife than a Tanto.
I agree with forrestdweller, I usually carry a good folding knife a good fixed blade, usually 4-6in in blade length, and my multi tool.
This is my thought hope it helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to m4shadow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
(not a) One Man Army...

I think a tanto is wonderful fighting blade but its specialized.
It would be better to learn to wield your survival knife...
Old 05-20-2008, 05:07 PM

honestly i dont like either. Im more of a clip point or bowie style blade. By saying that this doesnt mean i like rambo sized knifes
Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gear Review 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4shadow View Post
advantages and disadvantages of the Tanto style blade & a traditional blade. This is my thought, I have sevevral blade designs of each.
The Tanto advantages is a strong point and the blade thickness is usually good. They are good for stabing and Puncturing things. but they were desined to Penetrate Armor. Limited in other uses.
A traditional blade or Drop-point or clip-point usually have a wider blade, and decent thickness. They are an Ideal for cutting, skinning, and carving. Some of my favorites are; Cold Steel SRK, Gerber Big Rock Camp Knife.
They are better choice of a survival Knife than a Tanto.
I agree with forrestdweller, I usually carry a good folding knife a good fixed blade, usually 4-6in in blade length, and my multi tool.
This is my thought hope it helps.
Nuff said...
The Following User Says Thank You to Switchblade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2008, 04:47 AM

thanks for the info
Old 05-26-2008, 08:39 PM

I use a kabar tanto as my main knife and i keep a multitool backup, i prefer the tanto tip to a drop point because i prefer a strong spine all the way to the tip. i have use this knife as a machette and a hatchet and it has not failed me yet. it keeps a very good edge and so far I have been very pleased with it. so far it has been an all around great hiking/camp knife.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 PM

I prefer the Tanto design myself. But in reality, the drop point is more practical for a wide range of uses. Depending on the application, of course. The Tanto is primarily used for pure combat, whereas a drop-point is excellent at both combat and utility, as well as some field-dressing/skinning. The Tanto is a weapon, whereas the drop-point is a tool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rod For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Trapper

I have only had one tanto blade in my life a crkt m16. I liked it so much that when I lost it I purchased another and also wanted a fixed blade in that configuration so I ordered a kabar short tanto I have not used the kabar yet but the crkt while I admit is not the best configuration has cleaned/scaled fish opened cans processes food for dinner cut rope stripped wire opened boxes and also double duties as a backup weapon in my pocket when I could not carry so while the drop point is more versatile a tanto can and has been used succesfully by many for utilitarian purposes
Old 11-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Realist

Does anyone have any sources of evidence for tantos being stronger for stabbing?

Edit: even if its just personal experience

Last edited by ioda006; 11-20-2009 at 04:19 PM..
Old 11-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,899 Times in 6,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioda006 View Post
Does anyone have any sources of evidence for tantos being stronger for stabbing?

Edit: even if its just personal experience
Here is a little info on that topic. "Tanto" doesn't always mean stronger at the tip. It all depends on how the "tanto" is shaped and created. http://faq.customtacticals.com/geome...pe_amtanto.php
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 03:56 AM
Target Shooter

One other thing to note. If you don't know how to sharpen that tanto blade it can turn into a drop point of sorts.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,349 Times in 3,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hog View Post
Never take a knife to a gun fight...

A miss is as good as a mile...

In for a penny, in for a pound...

Duh, any other homilies, pearls of wisdom, you want to share with us?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,349 Times in 3,184 Posts

The thick diamond point of the tantos available here you can almost thank Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel for as he was one of the first to really incorporate that in a knife…You see the traditional tanto, chisel ground, didn’t have a strengthened tip as it was used to perform eating/cooking duties as well as performing seppuku, a last ditch knife or in the longer version as a short sword for interior combat, much like a wakizashi was used for…

Traditional tanto of the Aikuchi style (no tsuba) 9.25 inch blade - Kris Cutlery

The traditional style is as much a stabbing as it is a slashing blade but the straight, narrow blade diamond tip versions you mostly see here are primarily stabbing (because of the beefed up tip) and very poor slashers as they don’t have sufficient “belly” to them…

The best slashing blade of all is the back curved style of blade from the B.C.E. Iberian designed Falcata to the Nepalese Kukhri but they aren’t the greatest stabbers as the point is far below the wrist…

Falcata 20.125 inch blade - Museum Replicas

A drop point blade is a hunting design that aides in skinning as the shape offers better control and that means fewer punctures of the skin with lots of belly to make long, sweeping cuts…

D.H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife 4 inch - Grohmann Knives –

This is a combat, CQB, knife--strong point for stabbing, lots of belly for slashing, thick spine for strength, top edge sharpened to aid is stabbing and also so that a back hand slash can be accomplished without having to turn the hand, double quillons so your hand doesn't go sliding down the blade when you stab, long enough reach but a little hard to carry on your hip if you intend to sit for long periods of time so a strap or vest mount or a horizontal sheath should be used…

John Horrigan Elite Knives Military Fighter 7.5 in blade - My ideal fighting/combat knife style!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM

Default tanto tip strength

In reference to your question of evidence to tip strength, I have a personal experience to tell. A friend of mine (not sure why, but he was an MP at the time), put a "warrior spirit" made by Chax Knives, pictured below, through the door of a BMW without any damage besides a few scratches to the bead blast coating.

http://www.chaxknives.com/Warrior_Spirit.html