Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Preacherboy Preacherboy is offline
Learning
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,316
Thanks: 1,837
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default All about the m35a2 deuce & a half 6x6 multi-fuel



Advertise Here

The m35a2 is a 2.5 ton truck (on road it is rated for 5 tons) that has an air engaging front axle. Some come with winches on the front...

These trucks are capable of going almost anywhere they can fit, they are large, loud, and slow (with larger tires these trucks will still barely hit 60mph).

But the amazing part about them is they have a true multifuel engine!

They run on primarily diesel, but will run on regular gasoline with some added oil to lubricate the IP (about 1qt for every 5-10 gallons). Other known fuels that it will run on are: kerosene, jet fuel, used motor oil, transmission fluid, hydrolic fluid, and veggie oil.

The only types of "fuel" that shouldn't be run in the truck are aviation gas and alcohol based fuels. Alcohol destroys the rubber parts on these old trucks.

I am very happy with my truck, plates are cheap ($35 for authentic historic plates for lifetime in Michigan) and insurance is cheap $260 per year for full coverage...and for me at least the truck was cheap!

These trucks can be had anywhere from $1000-3000 through the government auctions and $3000-10,000 through private sales (all based on conditions and options). There are all kinds of upgrades to do as well.

If you have any questions just ask away!
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 183.jpg  
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 02:09 PM
trixie trixie is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,011
Thanks: 2,692
Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts
Default

can i have it?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
AlgoRhythms's Avatar
AlgoRhythms AlgoRhythms is offline
Old Noob
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pennsylvania woodlands
Posts: 4,518
Thanks: 2,339
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,263 Posts
Default

That's really cool.

A few questions:

1. How large is the fuel capacity? MPG?

2. How old is yours and are there electronics in the engine?

3. Will you let me borrow it for a long weekend?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 PM
rice paddy daddy's Avatar
rice paddy daddy rice paddy daddy is offline
Old Soldier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The piney woods of North Florida
Posts: 4,929
Thanks: 7,108
Thanked 9,600 Times in 3,235 Posts
Default

I never saw one as nice as that photo. My issue truck stateside was a 1967 Willys built M35-A1. Going out into the field at Ft Carson in the winter, following along behind our self propelled artillery, was an adventure for this Florida boy! Just put the granny stick down and all 10 wheels would drive, useful in churned up mud.
In Nam the trucks would run snow chains during the monsoon period 'cause the mud would get really deep.
That picture brought back some memories, thanks for sharing!
Ooops. Almost forgot - We ran no tops in Nam, it was easier for any guys in back to stand up and hang their arms over the wooden bows. Newbies learned real quick that sitting down would beat you to death.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Preacherboy Preacherboy is offline
Learning
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,316
Thanks: 1,837
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default

You can have the truck, my trailer, and the title for 80 real $100 bills!

The fuel tank is 50 gallons, my truck is originally a 1952, but it was rebuilt by the military probably more than once. If it was from 1952 it would have been upgraded to the multifuel from a gas engine. But the military kept replacing parts over the years...the newest part I've found is the light switch from 2004 and the engine was rebuilt 87 or 89, the transfer case says 83 and the drive shaft looks pretty new.

There are no electronics to speak of except the ignition and lights; but the truck is a 5 speed, so it can be drag or push started without batteries even. Once the truck is driving down the road you can even turn off the "on/off" switch.

You can't borrow it, but our church is hosting a military vehicle show Nov. 13 and lots of different trucks will be there, in fact I'll be giving rides in mine!

My planned mods are to get the cab quieter and add another 50 gallon fuel tank. I figure that I'm getting close to 10 miles per gallon, I'm sure that I can go 400 miles on road without a fill up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 03:13 PM
rice paddy daddy's Avatar
rice paddy daddy rice paddy daddy is offline
Old Soldier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The piney woods of North Florida
Posts: 4,929
Thanks: 7,108
Thanked 9,600 Times in 3,235 Posts
Default

Oh, yeah. Forgot about backing up with the little cargo trailer - dang thing would be half way around before you could even see it in the mirror.
If you want to get the cab quieter, just use the old anti-mine trick: line the floor with sandbags.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
NUFIN NUFIN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit (not for long)
Posts: 212
Thanks: 1,989
Thanked 255 Times in 70 Posts
Default

more pic please
Old 11-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Preacherboy Preacherboy is offline
Learning
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,316
Thanks: 1,837
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default

here is some more pictures, you'll see my dad's truck with the stock tires too. That is the 9'x7' cargo trailer that goes behind the deuce.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 192.jpg   Picture 001.jpg   Picture 005.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Georgiarebel Georgiarebel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
I never saw one as nice as that photo. My issue truck stateside was a 1967 Willys built M35-A1. Going out into the field at Ft Carson in the winter, following along behind our self propelled artillery, was an adventure for this Florida boy! Just put the granny stick down and all 10 wheels would drive, useful in churned up mud.
In Nam the trucks would run snow chains during the monsoon period 'cause the mud would get really deep.
That picture brought back some memories, thanks for sharing!
Ooops. Almost forgot - We ran no tops in Nam, it was easier for any guys in back to stand up and hang their arms over the wooden bows. Newbies learned real quick that sitting down would beat you to death.
Rice Paddy Daddy - Always cool to hear how these trucks were really used. And thank you for your service!

Preacherboy - Thanks for starting the thread on the Deuce. Truck looks great! The one I'm bidding on is a drop side with a winch, heater, and hard top. We're those tires on it when bought it? They look bigger than the stock tires.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Disty Disty is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Preacherboy - I have a few questions about your proposed 50 gal additional tank? I also have a M35A2 Multi-fuel, I would also like to add another tank - because I want to have a "Virgin Diesel only tank" and an alternative fuel tank --- (I do not want to run veggie oil and then turn off the vehicle without running standard diesel through it) .

So my question is : where do you propose mounting the new tank? have you found a source for the tank, will it have it's own fuel pump? How will you disengage the original fuel pump.

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Disty


Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
You can have the truck, my trailer, and the title for 80 real $100 bills!

The fuel tank is 50 gallons, my truck is originally a 1952, but it was rebuilt by the military probably more than once. If it was from 1952 it would have been upgraded to the multifuel from a gas engine. But the military kept replacing parts over the years...the newest part I've found is the light switch from 2004 and the engine was rebuilt 87 or 89, the transfer case says 83 and the drive shaft looks pretty new.

There are no electronics to speak of except the ignition and lights; but the truck is a 5 speed, so it can be drag or push started without batteries even. Once the truck is driving down the road you can even turn off the "on/off" switch.

You can't borrow it, but our church is hosting a military vehicle show Nov. 13 and lots of different trucks will be there, in fact I'll be giving rides in mine!

My planned mods are to get the cab quieter and add another 50 gallon fuel tank. I figure that I'm getting close to 10 miles per gallon, I'm sure that I can go 400 miles on road without a fill up.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Pat7272 Pat7272 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 22
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiarebel View Post
They look bigger than the stock tires.
Bump for tire size
Old 11-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Preacherboy Preacherboy is offline
Learning
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,316
Thanks: 1,837
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default

Those are not original tires, you will see that my dad's truck has the originals dueled out. My tires are 46" tires.

I plan on getting another deuce tank intact or a 5 ton tank and the parts off of a 5-ton to switch tanks. It will go where the spare tires usually goes. My spare tire rack will be mounted on my m105 trailer since the 46" tire and rim can't fit there anyway. Then I'll move the pioneer rack up a bit and have plenty of room for the extra tank.

It is winter here now though, so it probably won't get done this year. I still have to flip my hubs too.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Preacherboy Preacherboy is offline
Learning
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,316
Thanks: 1,837
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default

Ok guys, I just bought a 5-ton truck...it was actually a cheaper deal than the deuce!

It will get a modified deuce bed and 53" tires. By the way, 11r20 tires & rims, and a 5th wheel plate & ramps will be for sale soon!
Attached Thumbnails
joshs 5 ton 1.jpg   joshs 5 ton 2.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Preacherboy Preacherboy is offline
Learning
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,316
Thanks: 1,837
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiarebel View Post
The one I'm bidding on is a drop side with a winch, heater, and hard top. .
Did you get the truck? If you did, post the pictures!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Preacherboy Preacherboy is offline
Learning
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,316
Thanks: 1,837
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default

I got my 5-ton home, not I am just looking for something made by Toyota to be my wheel chock...
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Georgiarebel Georgiarebel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
Did you get the truck? If you did, post the pictures!
Got out bid on that particular one by $120

But have a bid on another one already (we get them in our area pretty regular). Also have a bid in on a 10Kw diesel generator so I may try to get it first before I get the deuce. Dad already has a M35A2. I've been holding out for one with a winch.

Do you have to have a CDL to drive the 5-ton?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Preacherboy Preacherboy is offline
Learning
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,316
Thanks: 1,837
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default

Drove my deuce 2 days ago during our snow storm, it did ok. I was coming up to a stop light and down shifting and my back end started to come around some, but it did ok because the light turned green.

The bad was that it was very cold, my heater isn't working right now...haven't had time to figure out why. The passenger seat was covered in snow too, so that rider would have been really cold! Also, my wiper blade broke off, but it fell on the hood so I got it back!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
JSinAlaska's Avatar
JSinAlaska JSinAlaska is offline
Perfect Storm of Stupid
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 177
Thanks: 24
Thanked 116 Times in 64 Posts
Default

God I want a M35. I don't know why... not sure what I would use it for.. but I like them.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Cannon Fodder's Avatar
Cannon Fodder Cannon Fodder is offline
Sugar-free
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,184
Thanks: 2,174
Thanked 5,931 Times in 2,311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
Drove my deuce 2 days ago during our snow storm, it did ok. I was coming up to a stop light and down shifting and my back end started to come around some, but it did ok because the light turned green.

The bad was that it was very cold, my heater isn't working right now...haven't had time to figure out why. The passenger seat was covered in snow too, so that rider would have been really cold! Also, my wiper blade broke off, but it fell on the hood so I got it back!
I put thousands and thousands of miles on mine (4,500 miles in Iraq) while in the Army, and I loved it. It made all the right noises, and pulled like Jack-the-Bear! The only time I ever had an issue with it was in some really loose, fine sand in Kuwait. We called it "moon dust", and it was like 2 foot deep talcum powder. I had to get pulled out by a Bradley. Another time I drove it into a really deep mud puddle in Mosul, Iraq. I was thinking it was about 2 feet deep and it ended up being more like 5 feet deep. Water came into the cab. It stopped the truck, but I locked in the front axle and started to "rock" her front and back. It took about 10 minutes of coaxing, but I eventually got her out! The worst was driving her fully loaded stateside, on hilly roads. Lots of 30mph hills. Even if you hit the bottom of the hill at 60!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Preacherboy Preacherboy is offline
Learning
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,316
Thanks: 1,837
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default

Even unloaded hill climbing can take the wind out of her pretty fast!
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touring Katrina in a M35A2 deuce and a half DesertDave Vehicles & Transportation 6 09-02-2010 12:15 AM
Multi Fuel Generators kyle1337 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 07-20-2010 03:02 PM
What affordable multi-fuel stoves should I be considering? veganfarmer Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 03-30-2010 05:41 PM
Coleman 533 Multi-Fuel Stove - Help! Varmit Reviews and questions 6 03-01-2010 10:00 PM
Multi Fuel Stove ATM Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 33 07-13-2009 10:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net