Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 10-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 28,191 Times in 11,540 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1
Question Opinions of these synthetic AR Mags

Advertise Here

I noticed that CDNN has 2 types of synthetic mags for real cheap (I know...I know....I'm familiar with the saying)

AR-15 .223 30rd Black Synthetic Mag New Replacement $6.99
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar230blsymag.html

Not familiar with this one.....is it possibly Canadian military or just some cheap P-mag knock-off?

AR-15 .223 20rd Thermold Master Molder Military Mag New $4.99
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/zzzar220thmi.html

Supposedly has "LE" markings so I assume these were made for various Depts.

Anyway....I have considered getting some of these for maybe 'range mags' or even use them for storing in caches because the price is pretty good.

Anyone have any experience with these mags?

Thanks.

LIST OF IMPORTANT THREADS FOR FORUM MEMBERS

KEEP THE FORUM GOING STRONG
Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 PM
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

I have pmags and I love em. I can also see the feed lips wearing out in time. I like my trusty steel mags that I get for $10 a piece brand new. But the pmags are nice because of the window. It's all personal preference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lt.Dan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,094 Times in 376 Posts

You get what you pay for - I would not expect much from a $6 mag. You will more than likely have feeding problems.

PMAG!!!!! Spend the extra couple of bucks and get the windowless ones, you wont regret it. I replaced all my metal mags with the Pmags because I was so happy with them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misanthropy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Thanked 10,313 Times in 4,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
I have pmags and I love em. I can also see the feed lips wearing out in time. I like my trusty steel mags that I get for $10 a piece brand new. But the pmags are nice because of the window. It's all personal preference.
pmags with the dust cover on is designed for long term storage per mag pull they ain t he 6.00 one though.
The Following User Says Thank You to 556X45 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Time to hit reset

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

I'm a big advocate for spend a little more now for the good stuff and buy cheap, buy often. I have a crap load of USGI mags and I plan on picking up some Pmags.

I was just looking at the CDNN site (they have $5 shipping this weekend) so I thought I'd see what new 'toys' I would get and saw these and thought I'd toss it out to you guys to see if anyone has any experience with them.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Hooligan on Holiday

Thanked 4,135 Times in 1,453 Posts

Years ago I went the "economical" route on some mags that I had never heard of made of what they called at the time composite material....they were plastic plain and simple and they sucked bad but untill I tried one or two I would not have known.....good thing I only ordered a couple so I stuck with my tried and true USGI mags untill years later the Magpul mags came out. I will not get rid of my trusty USGI mags but I am slowly stocking up on Magpul mags because I love them after buying and trying a couple to try myself dispite all the latest raves and reviews.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Thanked 10,313 Times in 4,418 Posts

I don't know about these poly mags but if they are made in Korea I would not own them. We sold some Korean glock mags looked just like the real thing they were P.O.S. had a lot returned to the store.
The Following User Says Thank You to 556X45 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Time to hit reset

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556X45 View Post
I don't know about these poly mags but if they are made in Korea I would not own them. We sold some Korean glock mags looked just like the real thing they were P.O.S. had a lot returned to the store.
Funny that you mentioned that....CDNN has those Korean Glock mags for like 6 bux each.. heard plenty of horror stories about those things....I'll stick my the original stuff!

The Following User Says Thank You to OLDWarrior64 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Beans, Bullets & Bandages

I run Pmags. I have 7 per ar and they are the best. I use the metal for the range.

I would order a couple and see if the work and keep them for range. I like to keep 1 or 2 mags I know do not work well. Keeps me up to speed on malfunction drills.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMgoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Trapper

They are fine for the range Im sure, but why not just go with USGI mags?

These are a better deal..
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar220pamawti.html

Or these are probably worth the extra dollar..
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ATB&groupid=14
The Following User Says Thank You to M.J. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Time to hit reset

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.J. View Post
They are fine for the range Im sure, but why not just go with USGI mags?

These are a better deal..
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar220pamawti.html

Or these are probably worth the extra dollar..
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ATB&groupid=14
Oh I have plenty of USGI mags (over 25) just was curious about these on CDNN is all.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:40 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDWarrior64 View Post
Oh I have plenty of USGI mags (over 25) just was curious about these on CDNN is all.
I think they would work fine for the use you described, they appear to be thermold, The 20rd one is for sure, I am really not sure what the 30rd one is. Thermolds are what the Canadian military used for years, they are not known for their durability, but they work just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to M.J. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2010, 11:32 AM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,993 Times in 2,988 Posts

pmag only.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sniperfx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.J. View Post
I think they would work fine for the use you described, they appear to be thermold, The 20rd one is for sure, I am really not sure what the 30rd one is. Thermolds are what the Canadian military used for years, they are not known for their durability, but they work just fine.
I think MJ has a good answer, the Thermolds probably would be ok for the use you suggested OLDWarrior64, but if you could come up with surplus USGI for about the same price I'd go that route. I picked up eight used GI 30rders for $8 apiece and they all work great. I inspected the feed ramps and picked ones that looked good and no dents in the mag body.

The rest of my mags are new GI and PMAGs, 20 and 30 rd. and of course work perfectly.

Maybe a few of the 20rd Thermolds since they are so cheap and probably will hold up better than 30s.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Time to hit reset

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I think MJ has a good answer, the Thermolds probably would be ok for the use you suggested OLDWarrior64, but if you could come up with surplus USGI for about the same price I'd go that route. I picked up eight used GI 30rders for $8 apiece and they all work great. I inspected the feed ramps and picked ones that looked good and no dents in the mag body.

The rest of my mags are new GI and PMAGs, 20 and 30 rd. and of course work perfectly.

Maybe a few of the 20rd Thermolds since they are so cheap and probably will hold up better than 30s.
Very good points!

Sadly thoe days of picking up 30rd USGI mags for $5 each are long long gone I'll get a couple of the 20rds. and see how they work out.....heck thats kinda like buying alottery ticket

Thanks for the input gang.

The Following User Says Thank You to OLDWarrior64 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Trapper

I only trust steel mags. They are worry free. I drilled a row of .125" holes down the back edge of a few of my mags. Now I can get a round count with a quick glance.
The Following User Says Thank You to hanklet0 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,847 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

It depends on the plastic used. Good polymer mags can be better than the thin metal mags that are available for the AR-15. But the cheap plastic used in some can be very problematic and short lived. Sometimes the feed lips will fade, or the mag will crack. So I'd be picky about which ones I used.

The first link doesn't show the brand. I'd avoid it right off. The Thermolds are good mags, but they don't handle heat well. They were called "Thermelts" by those who used them. If cost is a big issue, I'd either choose them or go with metal mags.

Now the better plastic mags like the P mags are really good. But they cost more.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry

Thanked 1,871 Times in 858 Posts

Absolute garbage. Magpul PMAGs or GOOD usgi mags with magpul followers. Lancers and Tangodown Arcs get good reviews but PMAGs work for me I have no reason to switch.
The Following User Says Thank You to NavigatinCollapse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Armed Border Collie

Thanked 6,547 Times in 3,200 Posts
Cool

Just last week I ordered 3 Magpul and 3 Tapco 30 rd magazines to try out. The Tapco arrived first and I pulled one out of the package only to find that it was very hard to insert and darn near impossible to pull out. It would not drop when I hit the button. Number two and three where the same. They look the same size as the USGI. The following day the Magpuls where delivered. I had great hopes, after all, they cost more. Nope. I could have better luck getting a magazine for my M1A before one of these is going to slide in. (I am trying very hard not to insert a dirty joke here), I got one to go in, but had to use both hands to pull it out while pressing the release button with a multi-tool. I pulled the AR from my vehicle to see if it was the other rifle. Nope, didnít fit this one either.

A mental image of me bleeding-out with an empty AR in my arms did not inspire me to rush out an order more. I am thinking I can sand these down to fit better to use on the range, but I will never trust them. This makes me sad because they look so cool. (Looking cool is so important).:/
The Following User Says Thank You to True Blue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Motivated

Thanked 4,521 Times in 1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Just last week I ordered 3 Magpul and 3 Tapco 30 rd magazines to try out. The Tapco arrived first and I pulled one out of the package only to find that it was very hard to insert and darn near impossible to pull out. It would not drop when I hit the button. Number two and three where the same. They look the same size as the USGI. The following day the Magpuls where delivered. I had great hopes, after all, they cost more. Nope. I could have better luck getting a magazine for my M1A before one of these is going to slide in. (I am trying very hard not to insert a dirty joke here), I got one to go in, but had to use both hands to pull it out while pressing the release button with a multi-tool. I pulled the AR from my vehicle to see if it was the other rifle. Nope, didnít fit this one either.

A mental image of me bleeding-out with an empty AR in my arms did not inspire me to rush out an order more. I am thinking I can sand these down to fit better to use on the range, but I will never trust them. This makes me sad because they look so cool. (Looking cool is so important).:/
sounds like your rifle is out of spec. Who made it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Jackson For This Useful Post: