Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Target Shooter

Default SIG P229: .40/.357 to 9mm conversion?

Advertise Here

Hi guys,

I own a SIG P229 in .40. The gun is great, but the real reason I bought it was for the multiple caliber conversion: If you buy the gun in .40 S&W, all you have to do is drop in a .357 SIG barrel and you can shoot that caliber as well. Slide, mags, springs, and everything else don't need to be changed, ONLY the barrel.

However, there are apparently some issues with switching down from .40/.357 to 9mm. SIG makes a P229 in 9mm and makes spare 9mm barrels of course, but the company does not recommend that people with .40/.357 models try the same trick by installing a 9mm barrel and moving down. The reasons why have never been well explained.

I've researched this subject online, and everyone keeps saying you can actually do this conversion to 9mm, but only if you use a 9mm barrel made by Bar-Sto. Apparently, the 9mm barrels made by SIG won't work. People disagree over how reliable the resulting gun is, and over whether you also need to use 9mm mags instead of .40/.357 mags for the 9mm ammo, and whether you also need to buy a new SIG 9mm slide and 9mm recoil spring.

I wonder if anyone here has experience with this and could clear up these issues. It would be much appreciated since I am thinking of getting a 9mm barrel for my SIG. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,965 Times in 1,684 Posts

The problem with a Sig conversion is the extractor, ejector issue. Since their is any argument at all regarding Sig's normally famous reliability, that would cinch it for me.

Different calibers use different sizes. In my own experience the mags aren't an issue, especially the older zipperback models.

It's is not something I would do and bet my life on it. Poor decision all the way around.

Better to just get two guns to cover the calibers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,552 Posts

Choose a caliber and stick with it.

W.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKpredator View Post
The problem with a Sig conversion is the extractor, ejector issue. Since their is any argument at all regarding Sig's normally famous reliability, that would cinch it for me.

Different calibers use different sizes. In my own experience the mags aren't an issue, especially the older zipperback models.

It's is not something I would do and bet my life on it. Poor decision all the way around.

Better to just get two guns to cover the calibers.
How about just buying a whole new 9mm slide and putting it on whenever you want to shoot 9mm?
Old 10-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proyas View Post
How about just buying a whole new 9mm slide and putting it on whenever you want to shoot 9mm?
That might be an option but the price is generally pretty high. Often you can buy a whole new pistol for just a little more money. I would prefer that.

Thinking about it, the cartridge diameter of a .357 SIG and 40S&W is the same, however the cartride diameter of a 9mm is smaller. So I think a whole new slide might actually be your only option, because if you only change the barrel you might run into trouble there.

Is there a special reason you want to shoot diffirent calibers out of one gun? I think you're just making life hard on yourself, all modern calibers are pretty good (if you pick the right ammunition). And your shot placement is way more important than the diameter of the hole you're making.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
That might be an option but the price is generally pretty high. Often you can buy a whole new pistol for just a little more money. I would prefer that.
I don't know about that. You'd probably save a couple hundred bucks by just buying the slide assembly rather than a whole new gun. Remember this is SIG we're talking about.

Quote:
Thinking about it, the cartridge diameter of a .357 SIG and 40S&W is the same, however the cartride diameter of a 9mm is smaller. So I think a whole new slide might actually be your only option, because if you only change the barrel you might run into trouble there.
Yeah, you'd think so. But I keep reading testimonials from people on the Internet saying they just dropped in a 9mm barrel and were able to shoot their guns without problems. I was hoping to find someone on here with firsthand experience in order to clear this up, but no takers I guess.

Quote:
Is there a special reason you want to shoot diffirent calibers out of one gun? I think you're just making life hard on yourself, all modern calibers are pretty good (if you pick the right ammunition). And your shot placement is way more important than the diameter of the hole you're making.
Yes, there are two reasons. First, value for the money. If I can shoot three different calibers from the same handgun, it's effectively three handguns for just a bit more than the price of one. Second, versatility: I like the idea of having one gun that I can change to firing another caliber with only one or two minutes of simple modifications. That way, if I run out of one caliber, I can easily switch to using another.

I agree with you on the shot placement philosophy. Simply hitting your target is the most important thing. Most people either fall down, surrender or run away after being shot, regardless of what sized bullet they're hit with. That's why it's important to practice so that you'll be fast and accurate with your gun, and to adopt a "killer instinct" mentality so that you'll be able to actually shoot someone when the time comes.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:03 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
I don't know about that. You'd probably save a couple hundred bucks by just buying the slide assembly rather than a whole new gun. Remember this is SIG we're talking about.
Maybe, look into it. Remember (spare) parts can be very expensive too. If saving a couple hundred bucks is a priority of yours, you shouldn't be dealing with sig in the first place

Quote:
Yes, there are two reasons. First, value for the money. If I can shoot three different calibers from the same handgun, it's effectively three handguns for just a bit more than the price of one. Second, versatility: I like the idea of having one gun that I can change to firing another caliber with only one or two minutes of simple modifications. That way, if I run out of one caliber, I can easily switch to using another.
I'm a glock shooter, and between the glocks there's quite some modularity between the various models and I believe changing the slide will give you capability to shoot a diffirent caliber, maybe even a diffirent barrel will suffice. But I chose not to.

What happens is that you add complexity to your system. Say you have your pistol configured to shoot 40 but in an emergency situation under stress you accidentally slam in a .357 SIG mag. Then you're in a world of ****.

Second I would just stock up on one handgun caliber. I see your point; it's an advantage if you can shoot diffirent rounds when there's ammo shortage, you can just just whatever you get your hands on. But then again, I believe that just stocking up on ammo is a better way to prepare for ammo scarcity. It's more cost efficient now and it's better preparedness for later.

But I realize I'm not answering any of your questions. Just do whatever you yourself think is best (that's what I would do too). If you think this post isn't useful, just consider this a free bump of your topic.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,965 Times in 1,684 Posts

Quote:
Yeah but they are like $400 and if you look and wait, you may be able to find a nice used gun for that. I understand and sympathize with you. I went down that road before when I was really into 357 Sig many years ago. I discarded the idea when I started trying to reload it. Yuck! I now just have a factory Glock 32 and a factory 40 barrel.

The better solution is to settle on a caliber and train hard with it.

The DC area is loaded with cops and feds using 9, 40, and 357 Sigs. You may be able to find one around there. There is a guy named Faruk in Falls Church that handles trade-ins sometimes. His site and number escape me but he was a good dude to deal with. Great prices. We bought 4 Sig P220's and a slough of mags for like $450 each.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Target Shooter

Well guys, I'm at least going to get a .357 SIG barrel for it as well. FYI, I have a .22 slide assembly for the P229 as well. I had a lot of problems with misfires (misfire once every 10 rounds OR LESS) in the beginning and in fact had to mail it back to SIG to get it repaired. These guys put 50 .22 rounds through it and by some stroke of luck didn't experience any misfires, so they just concluded there was no problem and mailed it back to me. I was angry at that, but for some reason, the gun shot a lot better afterward. The gun now misfires on .22 only about once every 33 rounds. The trend seems to be going in the right direction, but I would never trust the .22 configuration for anything more than target practice.

I've never had a misfire or any other type of problem when using the gun in .40.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
The trend seems to be going in the right direction, but I would never trust the .22 configuration for anything more than target practice.
That's what they're made for. If you want a reliable .22 survival weapon there are not much options.

For a carbine there's the ruger 10/22 and the SIG522 looks good too. For a 22 handgun you could consider a ruger mark II(I) but I'd go for a S&W or Taurus .22 revolver (revolvers are generally reliable, but they're also heavier, that's a downside.). I'm under the impression that many 22's are made for target practice, competition or plinking more than anything else.

Centerfire is generally more reliable than rimfire.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,111 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Hi guys,

I own a SIG P229 in .40. The gun is great, but the real reason I bought it was for the multiple caliber conversion: If you buy the gun in .40 S&W, all you have to do is drop in a .357 SIG barrel and you can shoot that caliber as well. Slide, mags, springs, and everything else don't need to be changed, ONLY the barrel.

However, there are apparently some issues with switching down from .40/.357 to 9mm. SIG makes a P229 in 9mm and makes spare 9mm barrels of course, but the company does not recommend that people with .40/.357 models try the same trick by installing a 9mm barrel and moving down. The reasons why have never been well explained.

I've researched this subject online, and everyone keeps saying you can actually do this conversion to 9mm, but only if you use a 9mm barrel made by Bar-Sto. Apparently, the 9mm barrels made by SIG won't work. People disagree over how reliable the resulting gun is, and over whether you also need to use 9mm mags instead of .40/.357 mags for the 9mm ammo, and whether you also need to buy a new SIG 9mm slide and 9mm recoil spring.

I wonder if anyone here has experience with this and could clear up these issues. It would be much appreciated since I am thinking of getting a 9mm barrel for my SIG. Thanks.
I carry a SIG P229 DAK SAS every day, in 357 SIG - have for years. Great sidearm. Good choice imho - congrats. Of course, as most of us do, I also have a 40 S&W barrel - which was actually the original barrel that came with the pistol when I bought it new. I just prefer 357 SIG for a lot of different reasons. Anyways, to your question ...

Yes, technically, you may use a 9mm barrel in the P229 built for 40/357 SIG. I've done it, do it. Bar-Sto is the barrel maker and for roughly $200.00 bucks you can shoot 9mm out of your P229 with the switch (MASH HERE). As far as magazines go, try your 40/357 SIG mags first and see what happens. They will do fine in most. If you feel like you are having problems, then buy one 9mm mag, MecGar will do just fine, and give it a try - but understand in advance that the 9mm mags are going to be a little bit loose in the 40/357 SIG frame. Mine shoots the 9 just fine out of the 357/40 mags, but I bought a couple of the MecGar 9 mags for it just to take to the range so I do not have to refill so often.

When you order your barrel from Bar-Sto ... you MUST tell them at the time of the order that you want their barrel specifically made for "converting a P229 down from 357/40 to 9mm."

Be happy that you did not invest in the P229-9 because, if you had, you would be unable to convert up to 357/40. P229-9 is a great pistol though - super great actually, it just cannot be converted up.

Alright, so here is the other answer to your question, if I read it right. You do not need to switch out the slide. That was a big question that was floating around a few years ago for those wanting to convert up from 9mm to 357/40. Of course, SIG got wind of all this going on years ago and decided to come out with their P250 which is totally convertible in all kinds of ways ... each conversion requires a slide and barrel change - but again, this is what led to the urban myth that a slide change is required down to 9mm from 357/40 ... it is not.

Confused? I hope not - I just cannot think of any better way to type it.

Congrats again on your investment.

Oh yeah, and as far as the 22LR conversion is concerned - use high velocity ammo. The hotter the better. But using the cheap stuff, especially the non-jacketed cheap stuff, will cause you much heartache keemosabe. Wise injun chief say, when using 22LR conversions in anything, Federal HV 550 VP work good.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
Yes, technically, you may use a 9mm barrel in the P229 built for 40/357 SIG. I've done it, do it. Bar-Sto is the barrel maker and for roughly $200.00 bucks you can shoot 9mm out of your P229 with the switch (MASH HERE). As far as magazines go, try your 40/357 SIG mags first and see what happens. They will do fine in most. If you feel like you are having problems, then buy one 9mm mag, MecGar will do just fine, and give it a try - but understand in advance that the 9mm mags are going to be a little bit loose in the 40/357 SIG frame. Mine shoots the 9 just fine out of the 357/40 mags, but I bought a couple of the MecGar 9 mags for it just to take to the range so I do not have to refill so often.

When you order your barrel from Bar-Sto ... you MUST tell them at the time of the order that you want their barrel specifically made for "converting a P229 down from 357/40 to 9mm."

Be happy that you did not invest in the P229-9 because, if you had, you would be unable to convert up to 357/40. P229-9 is a great pistol though - super great actually, it just cannot be converted up.

Alright, so here is the other answer to your question, if I read it right. You do not need to switch out the slide. That was a big question that was floating around a few years ago for those wanting to convert up from 9mm to 357/40. Of course, SIG got wind of all this going on years ago and decided to come out with their P250 which is totally convertible in all kinds of ways ... each conversion requires a slide and barrel change - but again, this is what led to the urban myth that a slide change is required down to 9mm from 357/40 ... it is not.

Confused? I hope not - I just cannot think of any better way to type it.
Ah, awesome! I found someone who actually has done this conversion.

OK, when you fire your P229 in 9mm, how often do you have malfunctions (misfires, extraction problems, feed problems, stovepiping)? Is this more often than with .40?

Is the recoil weird since the slide and recoil spring are heavier and designed for a .40?

Quote:
Oh yeah, and as far as the 22LR conversion is concerned - use high velocity ammo. The hotter the better. But using the cheap stuff, especially the non-jacketed cheap stuff, will cause you much heartache keemosabe. Wise injun chief say, when using 22LR conversions in anything, Federal HV 550 VP work good.
Thanks for the advice. For the record, I was using CCI .22 ammo.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Geronimo!

Quote:
Ah, awesome! I found someone who actually has done this conversion.

OK, when you fire your P229 in 9mm, how often do you have malfunctions (misfires, extraction problems, feed problems, stovepiping)? Is this more often than with .40?

Is the recoil weird since the slide and recoil spring are heavier and designed for a .40?

Thanks for the advice. For the record, I was using CCI .22 ammo.
That CCI ammo, if it is the HV CCI, oughta be doing just fine in that 22 Conversion Kit.

I have zero stovepipes, zero ftfs, zero problems with the 9mm mags. You might have an issue or two from time to time using the 357/40 mags. The only reason you want to convert is to save money practicing. You do not want to convert in order to carry day-to-day 9mm - it's just not practical to count on a pistol made for 357/40 to be reliable in a life or death situation in 9mm converted. But I like it - it works just fine. Seems the only time I've ever heard of a problem with the conversion is one time, when this guy on the SIG forum claimed there were extractor issues with the conversion - but I do not see why that would be the case and I've never experienced a problem.

9mm is plenty hot to compress those springs - you are underestimating 9mm in terms of operating those recoil springs, trust me, they'll run just fine motoring with 9mm.

First things first though - you should go ahead and have both 357 SIG and 40 S&W barrels - then go for the 9mm, it's going to be the most expensive of all three and it might take you awhile to find a 357 SIG factory barrel for around $150.00 bucks or so.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Surviving selling labor

I'm with Gallo on this one. I had a Sig P229 in .40 that I used the Sig .22 conversion kit on. CCI Mini-Mag HV was the only ammo I got to reliably cycle. In fact it worked great. It was quite accurate as well. Other high velocity ammo didn't work well for me.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Who wants to dance !!!

I was thinking along the same lines as you when i bought my Beretta, Sure i can pick up a barrel in .357 sig,there really isnt any cheap .357 sig ammo or an abundant supply of it for me to buy the barrel, so i just bought the 96 and the 92,if parts fail,then i can interchange,the slide from the 96 fits on the 92 and vise versa.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Geronimo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
I was thinking along the same lines as you when i bought my Beretta, Sure i can pick up a barrel in .357 sig,there really isnt any cheap .357 sig ammo or an abundant supply of it for me to buy the barrel, so i just bought the 96 and the 92,if parts fail,then i can interchange,the slide from the 96 fits on the 92 and vise versa.
Now that depends when you are talking 92/96 Berettas.

You talking about the 96 Elite I or II or the Brig?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Who wants to dance !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
Now that depends when you are talking 92/96 Berettas.

You talking about the 96 Elite I or II or the Brig?

Beretta 92 Centurion,is compatible with my 96. And nice hand gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthernPride For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2013, 12:32 PM

In an early posting you mention converting your P229 to 9mm. Did you do and if so what method did you go with and did you like the results? Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter as it is appreciated.

In addition I completely agree with you that I too would reather have a weapon that can be used for different calibers as opposed to having several different weapons.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 AM

Good morning to all. The best way I found to do this conversion for just over $300 is http://shop.sigsauerguns.com/Magazin...nversion-Kits/ check ot out, not a bad deal for a $1000 gun.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:00 AM

I recently got a P229 enhanced elite E2 in .40 and ordered bar sto semi fit barrels in .357 sig and 9mm. After minor gunsmithing to trim the barrel slightly, the gun fires all 3 calibers using the standard factory mag without a hiccup. Couldn't be happier. Carry usually in either .357 sig or .40 and plink and practice in 9mm.