Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Default Mossberg 590a1 SPX

Advertise Here

Hello all,

So I have finally gotten my first gun, and I opted for a 12 gauge for obvious reasons (survival, HD and just plain fun..) As you can tell by the title, I got the (relatively) new Mossberg 590A1 SPX with the 20" 9 shot, Ghost Ring sights, bayonet lug (and bayonet!) etc.

Now, of course I asked plenty of questions before and after my purchase, but upon coming home, I also forgot many. Searching the internet I have come up with some answers, and some conflicting ones. I decided to turn to you guys!

I have yet to take this baby shooting, and as it is my first straight from the factory, out of the box gun, I need some advice on how to start. I've read in many places to clean the gun top to bottom, getting all of the factory gunk out of it, while other people say not to. I have fired plenty of 12 gauges, but never a brand spankin' new one - advice?

Also, there is no screw in choke on this big fella, just a plain ole' cylinder bore. Many questions referring to this: I can fire just about anything out of this, correct? From Birdshot to 00 Buck to 000 Buck to Slug or Less than lethal stuff, right? Just want to make sure that I don't go blowing something up in my face...

On that note, I did buy 3 boxes of Federal 2 3/4in target loads to get started with, and to cut my teeth on so to speak. I was very interested in taking it trap or skeet shooting in the near future, but my only experience with Trap is a few Over/Unders. Will this cylinder bore be fine to shoot skeet with? And should most of these ranges allow pump action shotguns for skeet?

Finally: this is to anyone who has this gun. Out of the box, the bayonet seem to be a bit loose when attached to the lug at the front of the barrel, any thoughts on the matter? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for all the advice!

P.S. What're the odds that this registered Republican, gun owning, survivalist board frequenting right wing extremist is on Napolitano's watch list?

~Gunnut
Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
+

Thanked 2,824 Times in 913 Posts

Usually first thing I do with a firearm is break it down. Clean, polish, and tune. But this is a Mossberg. Factory oil isn't gonna hurt it. Give it a function check. Go shoot it. Come home and clean it. No need to baby a 590. That's half the point of having one.

Yes, you can shoot anything you want out of cylinder bore. Sabot slugs will have bad accuracy. Everything else is fine. If you want something less than lethal get bear spray and don't waste your money on gimmick ammo. It's not ideal, but you can shoot skeet. Don't know what the rules are at the ranges near you. May get some odd looks, but who cares. Just put the bayonet on and they'll stop laughing.

Congratulations on your new shotgun!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Experiment 626

Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,083 Posts

I'm looking to get one of those also as soon as finances are available. As for the bayonet, I have never seen a bayonet on any weapon that didn't wobble a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to robbiec For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Thanked 10,318 Times in 3,857 Posts

Congrats on the new blaster

How much did it cost you out the door?

P.S. What're the odds that this registered Republican, gun owning, survivalist board frequenting right wing extremist is on Napolitano's watch list?

They're watching right now
Old 12-01-2010, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated.

Well it was brand-spankin' new, and came with the bayonet...which is why I could rationalize paying $650 (ish) for it. It was a bit steep for a 12 gauge but I figure its something I will have forever and can pass on to my kids.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:13 PM

have the same gun. congrats. its a real jackhammer. i got mine out the box for 500 ish.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Tacticool Brah!

Just wanted to say congratulations and enjoy/I'm jealous. I have a Mossberg 930 SPX... and I had a brand new, Unfired Benelli Supernova .. but I had to sell/trade the Supernova in September so I could get my Dad a 60th BDay present ( i was flat broke and he is important to me), which I got him a Zastava PAP 7.62 AK-variant... but hopefully soon I will get a 590/A1 to compliment my 930 SPX... yours looks tight bangin broseph!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Prepared

Cleaning a brand new gun is something that is "old timers" mentality. We used to get new guns, and many times they had factory gunk in them. Cleaning them was a standard precaution.

Nowadays, they make sure guns (or are supposed to make sure) that guns leave with anything blocking the barrel.

My thought - If you take down and clean the gun BEFORE you use it... you are one step better educated about your weapon when you use it.

And congrats on the bayonet. I wish I had one.
The Following User Says Thank You to SofaGeorge For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Good videos on you tube with that fine weapon and even some melon stabbing with the bayonet! LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to forestdavegump For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Adding to the comments about your shotgun...the bayonet will not have a super snug fit. Short of some of my Nagants with a permanent bayonet fixture, none of my bayonets afix themselves tightly to the rifle. A little rattle is completely normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to litework For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut View Post
Hello all,

So I have finally gotten my first gun, and I opted for a 12 gauge for obvious reasons (survival, HD and just plain fun..) As you can tell by the title, I got the (relatively) new Mossberg 590A1 SPX with the 20" 9 shot, Ghost Ring sights, bayonet lug (and bayonet!) etc.

Now, of course I asked plenty of questions before and after my purchase, but upon coming home, I also forgot many. Searching the internet I have come up with some answers, and some conflicting ones. I decided to turn to you guys!

I have yet to take this baby shooting, and as it is my first straight from the factory, out of the box gun, I need some advice on how to start. I've read in many places to clean the gun top to bottom, getting all of the factory gunk out of it, while other people say not to. I have fired plenty of 12 gauges, but never a brand spankin' new one - advice?

Also, there is no screw in choke on this big fella, just a plain ole' cylinder bore. Many questions referring to this: I can fire just about anything out of this, correct? From Birdshot to 00 Buck to 000 Buck to Slug or Less than lethal stuff, right? Just want to make sure that I don't go blowing something up in my face...

On that note, I did buy 3 boxes of Federal 2 3/4in target loads to get started with, and to cut my teeth on so to speak. I was very interested in taking it trap or skeet shooting in the near future, but my only experience with Trap is a few Over/Unders. Will this cylinder bore be fine to shoot skeet with? And should most of these ranges allow pump action shotguns for skeet?

Finally: this is to anyone who has this gun. Out of the box, the bayonet seem to be a bit loose when attached to the lug at the front of the barrel, any thoughts on the matter? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for all the advice!

~Gunnut
Well the surest way to avoid being on "the list" is to call Homeland Security and turn yourself in. They'll never be able to find you then...
Old 12-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
Usually first thing I do with a firearm is break it down. Clean, polish, and tune. But this is a Mossberg. Factory oil isn't gonna hurt it. Give it a function check. Go shoot it. Come home and clean it. No need to baby a 590. That's half the point of having one.

Yes, you can shoot anything you want out of cylinder bore. Sabot slugs will have bad accuracy. Everything else is fine. If you want something less than lethal get bear spray and don't waste your money on gimmick ammo. It's not ideal, but you can shoot skeet. Don't know what the rules are at the ranges near you. May get some odd looks, but who cares. Just put the bayonet on and they'll stop laughing.

Congratulations on your new shotgun!
South Dakota?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
FO

Thanked 2,232 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut View Post
paying $650 (ish) for it. It was a bit steep for a 12 gauge
No, not really

Congrats, nice shotty.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:44 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,587 Posts

If I had a Mossi 590 I don 't see myself using a bayonet.
If I had any weapons I would fire all the weapons I may buy with out cleaning I have not had a problem. I would check the barrel for obstruction before firing.
It won't hurt to disassemble and clean it but it is not mandatory.
XR750
Old 01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FoxTrot10 View Post
No, not really

Congrats, nice shotty.
However, according to the pundits, you could have waited a couple months and picked up KelTec's new hammer for about the same price or less. Hopefully...
Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,272 Times in 1,579 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertyme View Post
However, according to the pundits, you could have waited a couple months and picked up KelTec's new hammer for about the same price or less. Hopefully...
Bet ya can't do this with the KT ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestdavegump View Post
Good videos on you tube with that fine weapon and even some melon stabbing with the bayonet! LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,626 Times in 3,138 Posts

The only people that dont like bayonetts are remington owners imho.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,317 Posts

This is an older thread that I was wondering how it turned out. Thank you guys for finding it!

Gunnut, how's the 590 coming along, bud? Did you ever switch your mag tube? Ever get to try it on some skeet?

Welp, just looking at your profile and I see it's been a few months since you were on. I sure hope everything's ok on your end.

Live and be well.

rich
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 AM
Vigilant

Thanked 5,068 Times in 1,900 Posts

I have one just like it. It sucks at skeet...
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 PM

I just got one new in the box $489. Now I just need a few add ons for it.