Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-27-2010, 03:56 PM

Default Buying food grade barrels?

Advertise Here

I am on a quick mission to store some rice/grains in barrels, and have a few questions for all you seasoned pros
Is it better to buy brand new food grade barrels or reconditioned barrels for less? Is there a best price place to buy? What do you sanitize them with? Is there a size you prefer? I have seen some 30 gallons that would maybe be easier to handle than the 50 gallons.
When you fill the barrel with rice, do you buy a bunch of bags from Sam's Club and put the bags in or empty all the bags to take up every inch available?
Also, I found some really nice/great priced 250 gallon water tanks that had previously contained phosphoric acid. The person thought that bleach may clean it out, but I don't know if they are just really not a good idea. They are such a great size and price for storing water!
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:13 PM
I CHOOSE LIBERTY!

Thanked 1,868 Times in 886 Posts

The vast majority store in 5 gallon food grade buckets instead of barrels. First you put your dry stores (rice, beans...etc) into mylar bags with oxygen absorbers & heat seal the mylar bag inside the buckets. This will allow you to access a smaller amount at a time in order to maximize the storage life.

I would suggest you follow this link and read for a week before going any further on purchases or planning.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Cosmo-
Thanks, I will go through that link. Maybe I should've mentioned that I am not new to this concept. I am just on the longer-term food storage portion of my "project"
I already have a GOOD pantry storage going. At least 3 months worth there. We also have chickens, a well, and could survive a winter in our home.

I am (a little) surprised that most people are storing in 5 gallon buckets for the rice and grains. I know I can get the bakers frosting buckets for free, so I assume I most are just using those. That would be a LOT of buckets for a long-term grain storage though!!
Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,847 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I wouldn't mix chlorine and acid! Phosphoric acid is a food grade chemical that's water soluble. Wash the heck out of it, then try a baking soda solution to neutralize any residue and absorb any odors. Air it out a bit and you're good to go.

I'd suggest storing foods in buckets instead though. They're more portable, easier to transport, and you don't expose as much food when you open them to use them. Buckets may work out cheaper too. But some folks do successfully use barrels if the food is never going to be moved. Just make a bunch of smaller mylar bags of foods to go inside them.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,314 Times in 3,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
The vast majority store in 5 gallon food grade buckets instead of barrels. First you put your dry stores (rice, beans...etc) into mylar bags with oxygen absorbers & heat seal the mylar bag inside the buckets. This will allow you to access a smaller amount at a time in order to maximize the storage life.

I would suggest you follow this link and read for a week before going any further on purchases or planning.
Use the 20 X 30 inch mylar bag (5-6 gallon size) + 02 absorber method even when sealing the bags into a 30 or 50 gallon drum - you are talking approx 7 lbs of beans/rice per gallon - too much waste possible before using up 200 - 350 lbs of a single grain type -
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

All our food stuffs we put into #10 cans with o2 absorbers for the most part

I would say make sure they have only been used for food products ours were only used for tomato paste and we simply kust take some bleach water and give each a scrub down inside an call it a day but we use the 55 gal drums for alot of things feed for chickens, for mash, and water storage
Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Farmer

Thanked 22,232 Times in 9,037 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

We have some stuff in 5-gallon buckets. I get them from a local pastry factory for $1 each. Mostly we store pasta and beans in buckets with desiccant.

We also store a lot of stuff in 55-gallon food-grade drums. I get them from the same pastry factory for free. They had been used for pineapple filling, banana filling, vanilla, or lard.

Each fall during harvest I buy forty 50-pounds sacks [one tonne] of barley, and of oats,
and corn. I fill eight drums with barley, and eight with oats, and corn. And I seal them with desiccant inside.

We do not store anything here that would require O2 absorbers. The things that we store are preserved with desiccant.

We like desiccant as you only buy it once and then re-use it over and over again.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 PM

I do not think that bleach will cut it.