Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Silent Observer

Default LDS Canneries and non-Mormons

Advertise Here

I am looking into going to an LDS cannery that I recently discovered is local.

I called today to find out what the procedure for purchasing some wheat and such - I was asked if I was part of the church.

I am not.

The elder then asked me if I had any Mormon friends who I could go with.

I have friends, but out of state.

He said I could have them call him to speak on my behalf.

Has anyone else here on this forum (who is non-Mormon) ever purchased from LDS, and what was your experience?

Please describe what you do/had to do to make a purchase - including any donations (are they required above the cost of the product purchase?)

Please and thank you.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,318 Posts

I have, I brought help and arrived ready to work. my wife and I canned ours, my daughter helped an individual who came alone. Local policy is determined by the local elders. As when dealing with any Christian sect it's always good conservatively observe the golden rule. They have SOPs in place for every item that they offer for canning. Follow the rules and be gracious and there will be no problems. Remember the cannery is subject to FDA inspection and what seems to be silly rules in fact guarantee zero defect canning. We are going back again next month.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cranky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Beans, Bullets & Bandages

I am looking into doing the same in Florida, but I am not Mormon. I will be very interested in the out come.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM
ill prepared

I live in orange co, FL and I can't get into the local LDS cannery.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 9,333 Times in 3,761 Posts

Our local pairs you with a member when you come in....there is a waiting list but it is worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Prepared

The Chicago area cannery has the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. I contacted them by phone and not only did they allow me to buy food, they had advice and sent equivelency information by email. While there I met a group who had come in from another state to can and was able to help them and learn how things are done. Im going to place more orders until I have all that I think I will need. I highly recomend them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chipmunk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
The Chicago area cannery has the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. I contacted them by phone and not only did they allow me to buy food, they had advice and sent equivelency information by email. While there I met a group who had come in from another state to can and was able to help them and learn how things are done. Im going to place more orders until I have all that I think I will need. I highly recomend them.
That's good to know. My girlfriend was raised Mormon, but isn't practicing anymore. I was wondering if we would still be able to purchase from them. It's in Naperville right? Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,450 Posts

some of the people who are the leaders of the local chapters are down right great people to go out there way to help someone no matter what there faith is to ones who would not lift a fringer type outside of there faith to help someone ..

now if your city is large enough to have diff wards in the city check with them to see if they allow outside of the church to use the cannery ..you may have to drive a little bit to find one that will allow you to come in as a outside guest..if do some find if they will pair you up with a member to help you as it need....
Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Busy infidelin'

Thanked 10,627 Times in 3,873 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I am going to the cannery in Tucker Ga. in the morning. I will write out the happenings when I get back.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Beans, Bullets & Bandages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTI LIBERAL View Post
Crap...Is it the Orlando one you tried. This is the one I wanted to try!!

I think the Plant City, FL will take non-mormon. I will double check it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MMgoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Where I Live:
If you’re not a member of the church, you need a sponsor from the church and they get a group organized from a ward and they all order their stuff and they do it together.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Pacific NW Survivalist

Wow this is the first I have heard that they deny or limit non-members from going to one of the canneries (or Bishop's Storehouse).
Old 10-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,771 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTI LIBERAL View Post
Me too. The local cannery is just for Mormons, has been for many years.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM

I called ahead to the cannery in Canandaigua, NY, and asked if I had to be a church member to buy from them. The elder said no. When I got there, he changed his tune a little bit and told me about "government policies" and how they had to be careful. They couldn't make a practice of just selling outright to people who walked in off the street -- then they might be in danger of being classified as a retail store. However, if people volunteered their time in the cannery, they were safe.

I had the afternoon free, and luckily there was a very nice church member who had come in shortly after me, and she offered to show me how to work the equipment. She spent a good couple of hours canning with me. After that, I made my purchase. I've been back once since then and simply made my purchase -- no repeat volunteering.
The Following User Says Thank You to BethinNY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Silent Observer

Very interesting - now it's beginning to make a little more sense. Perhaps what I will do is call and ask to volunteer my time as opposed to asking to purchase. I see their cautious nature and completely agree.

I am now perfectly willing to follow their instructions to the letter.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethinNY View Post
I called ahead to the cannery in Canandaigua, NY, and asked if I had to be a church member to buy from them. The elder said no. When I got there, he changed his tune a little bit and told me about "government policies" and how they had to be careful. They couldn't make a practice of just selling outright to people who walked in off the street -- then they might be in danger of being classified as a retail store. However, if people volunteered their time in the cannery, they were safe.

I had the afternoon free, and luckily there was a very nice church member who had come in shortly after me, and she offered to show me how to work the equipment. She spent a good couple of hours canning with me. After that, I made my purchase. I've been back once since then and simply made my purchase -- no repeat volunteering.
it not because of the some wise guy who went into the local cannery and was useing there system and then selling it at a retail price for the item that he got there ..
Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncmomx2 View Post
Our local pairs you with a member when you come in....there is a waiting list but it is worth it.
you talking bout the canery near greensboro?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethinNY View Post

at ours you pretty much can your own stuff unless your buying in small quantities then you can buy a few cans
Old 10-26-2010, 08:28 PM
High-Strung

It also appears that if there is any food left over that can't fit into the last can, the cannery keeps it for the next person who comes in. You don't get to take it home even though you bought it. LOL I guess they figure they are allowing you into their private sanctum, so you can give a little extra back.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikesiked View Post
It also appears that if there is any food left over that can't fit into the last can, the cannery keeps it for the next person who comes in. You don't get to take it home even though you bought it. LOL I guess they figure they are allowing you into their private sanctum, so you can give a little extra back.
no they have jars of leftover stuff you take home what you pay for you buy 60 cans of wheat and they open three bags and theres 62 and a half cans total from those bags the half can goes into a storage bin and the two extra cans go on the shelf for someone who might only want 6 cans vs 60