Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Preparing for tomorrow

Default Best longterm storage of Ammo

Advertise Here

My gun cabinet is starting to fill up. My safe is full of important papers and PM's. What is the best way to store ammo longterm? .50 Ammo Cans? Other ideas to keep the ammo fresh other than rotating? As the amount increases, so does my anxiety to keep the ammo safe and usable.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,204 Times in 4,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosurvivalist View Post
My gun cabinet is starting to fill up. My safe is full of important papers and PM's. What is the best way to store ammo longterm? .50 Ammo Cans? Other ideas to keep the ammo fresh other than rotating? As the amount increases, so does my anxiety to keep the ammo safe and usable.

Store it in a cool dry place just like the military does. Ammo lasts an exceptionally long time government stores have lasted over 70 years.

Some folks advocate oxygen absorbers I have problems with this becuase the powder inside the round REQUIRES oxygen to work properly and the seals on hte round may not hold up to long term negative pressure. Perhaps a light vacume seal would be OK but notheing extreme like using O2 absorbers with a vaccume sealed bag to store ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lone Star For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 11:08 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Id say moisture absorbers and pack in 4-6" pvs pipes and cache away
Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Fire Fighter

Thanked 1,210 Times in 475 Posts

I have stored the same ammo for 25+ years now and it shoots just fine. I keep it in the house, in a closet, out of the sun in a Jo/Box. Try to keep it at a constant temp and not let it get too hot or cold. I use nothing else no rotation except adding to my stash and shooting the older stuff first but I have a LOT of older stuff with real cheap price tags still on it!! Mark
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willy-N For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Beans, Bullets & Bandages

Ammo cans are just fine, I have been working/shooting my way through 1960's .45 ammo that somebody gave me and have not had a problem yet with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MMgoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,062 Times in 30,482 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
Some folks advocate oxygen absorbers I have problems with this becuase the powder inside the round REQUIRES oxygen to work properly and the seals on hte round may not hold up to long term negative pressure.
Uh, powder contains it's own oxygen and doesn't require any from the air. In fact, some reloading formulas call for a compressed powder charge where there's no air space left at all.

But that's neither here nor there. O2 isn't the enemy of ammo storage. Temperature extremes and liquid moisture is. As long as it's kept dry and stored in relatively cool conditions it lasts for decades.

Vacuum sealing does nothing to preserve it either, and may be detrimental. Although sealing it in vacuum bags without a vacuum is a good way to keep it waterproof and make your own battle packs.

Storing it in ammo cans is more than enough protection. Even in all but the most humid climates, just keeping it in it's box is good enough. I've shot commercial ammo from the '50s and '60 that had just sat around on a shelf in it's box and it was identical to newly made ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,774 Times in 857 Posts

Metal ammo cans in a cool dry place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Branned For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 08:41 PM
grease monkey

Thanked 2,271 Times in 977 Posts

I have been saving up all those little silica gel and dessicant packs that come in the shoe boxes and jerky packages. It's a good idea to toss a few in with your ammo inthe even f condensation or rapid temperature change, such as bringing stored ammo boxes out of the warm house and into the snow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Josh97526 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 7,662 Times in 3,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh97526 View Post
I have been saving up all those little silica gel and dessicant packs that come in the shoe boxes and jerky packages. It's a good idea to toss a few in with your ammo...
That's what do. Different cans for different calibers. Fill 'em and throw in a couple of packs. No issues yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawkbern For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,204 Times in 4,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbern View Post
That's what do. Different cans for different calibers. Fill 'em and throw in a couple of packs. No issues yet.
I mark my ammo cans with what is inside I use a paint pen you can get at any hobby supply. That way I don't have to open cans that need to stay sealed to get what I need.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lone Star For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh97526 View Post
I have been saving up all those little silica gel and dessicant packs that come in the shoe boxes and jerky packages. It's a good idea to toss a few in with your ammo inthe even f condensation or rapid temperature change, such as bringing stored ammo boxes out of the warm house and into the snow.
I save and reuse them too. But the silica gel in the packs is spent by the time you get around to using them. It needs dehydrated again before use. As long as the pack isn't meltable plastic, you should be able to dry them out in a 200-250 degree oven for a few hours. The cloth and paper packs handle the heat just fine. But some of the plastic ones melt.

If you just take them out of something and reuse them without dehydrated them, they are of no benefit.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 AM

one problem the oxygen in the powder is bound up to form an oxydizer. in good old fashioned gun powder this was KNO3. you really do not need to worry about o2 absorbers
The Following User Says Thank You to fermi91 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,775 Times in 1,992 Posts

I store mine in a shoe box. I do worry about the BBs getting corrosion on them.

"I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range"
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Aquaholic

Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,382 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

I use .50 cal cans for common calibers and 30 cal cans for not so common calibers. I toss an moisture absorber in each. They're stackable, easy to label,easy to carry, and easy to rotate.
The Following User Says Thank You to badkarma For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Pantomime Villain

Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,098 Posts

Ammo cans with the rubber seals on them. fill them up, put them in a cool dry place. Job done. Good to go at least fifty years from now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark Skies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
I use .50 cal cans for common calibers and 30 cal cans for not so common calibers. I toss an oxygen absorber in each. They're stackable, easy to label,easy to carry, and easy to rotate.
O2 absorbers for ammo storage are kind of a waste. O2 is not the enemy of ammo storage. Heat and moisture are. In fact, O2 absorbers release moisture as they work. So that's like fighting an enemy that doesn't exist, while feeding one that does.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,282 Times in 3,894 Posts

I have various caches ..... use ammo boxes for some ..... but I don't always like being that obvious ...... I have an ammo cache mixed in with my food bucket preps
Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,674 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Uh, powder contains it's own oxygen and doesn't require any from the air. In fact, some reloading formulas call for a compressed powder charge where there's no air space left at all.

But that's neither here nor there. O2 isn't the enemy of ammo storage. Temperature extremes and liquid moisture is. As long as it's kept dry and stored in relatively cool conditions it lasts for decades.

Vacuum sealing does nothing to preserve it either, and may be detrimental. Although sealing it in vacuum bags without a vacuum is a good way to keep it waterproof and make your own battle packs.

Storing it in ammo cans is more than enough protection. Even in all but the most humid climates, just keeping it in it's box is good enough. I've shot commercial ammo from the '50s and '60 that had just sat around on a shelf in it's box and it was identical to newly made ammo.
Perfectly stated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boost Addicted For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Trapper

My house just wouldn't be the same without the pinging of ammo cans from time to time...
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 PM

I am new to the game of ammo storage and I am just getting my supplies in order. Currently, I have two Flambeau 18" Zerust Dry Box that I purchased from Walmart. One contains my rifle ammo and the other my pistol ammo. I also store my ammo with a rechargeable silica gel canister that purchased from Amazon.com. The boxes are air tight and waterproof. As my supplies continue to grow, so will my collection of boxes. I just hope that my guns like the ammo that I ordered from USAAmmo so that I can really make my collection grow.