Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I love this forum

Default Why am I always shooting high and right?!?

Advertise Here

I went shooting range again its been a few weeks. I shot about 300 rds through my AR-15, just with the iron sights. And once again I keep shooting high and to the right! I have NO IDEA WHY. I shot most at 50 yards and then about 100rds at 100 yards. Ive had it for about 6 months now. I just dont get why I am shooting high and right... I was shooting off my bag also so god I couldnt be more steady. And Im aiming dead freaking on in the center and everything... Any tips?

Also, when I first started off yesterday, my gun was like jamming. FYI, I Havent cleaned it for about 400 rounds thorugh it. I wanted to dirty it up a bit and see how it does. When I put the mag in and put cock it to put the first round in the chamber, it wouldn jam. It wouldnt go in and jam up in between the bolt and just crimp up. Anyone know why it was doing this? I took it apart and put it back together and worked fine.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Recent Blog:
I FEAR COWARDS MOST

Thanked 10,293 Times in 4,364 Posts

Adjust your sights???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2rugers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rugers View Post
Adjust your sights???
They are set just dead on, what I have to adjust for 50 yards?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,212 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico23 View Post
I went shooting range again its been a few weeks. I shot about 300 rds through my AR-15, just with the iron sights. And once again I keep shooting high and to the right! I have NO IDEA WHY. I shot most at 50 yards and then about 100rds at 100 yards. Ive had it for about 6 months now. I just dont get why I am shooting high and right... I was shooting off my bag also so god I couldnt be more steady. And Im aiming dead freaking on in the center and everything... Any tips?

Also, when I first started off yesterday, my gun was like jamming. FYI, I Havent cleaned it for about 400 rounds thorugh it. I wanted to dirty it up a bit and see how it does. When I put the mag in and put cock it to put the first round in the chamber, it wouldn jam. It wouldnt go in and jam up in between the bolt and just crimp up. Anyone know why it was doing this? I took it apart and put it back together and worked fine.
Couple questions.
Have you tried adjusting your sights to compensate for Point of Impact(POI)?
Are you only using one brand of Ammo?
How many rounds do you have through it so far?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Recent Blog:
I FEAR COWARDS MOST

Okay , I'm through with the smartass routine. Does it have the flip up sights or the standard AR carry handle type? Either way, the AR should have click adjustable sights at the rear for windage and elevation. Move the sight in the direction you want the bullet to move.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico23 View Post
They are set just dead on, what I have to adjust for 50 yards?

POI can change from 50 to 100yrds. Try adjusting your sights for POI at 100, then move to the 50.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Recent Blog:
I FEAR COWARDS MOST

Do you have an owners manual with it Pacifico? The rear sight should have click adjustments for windage and elevation. You move the sight up or down, left or right according to where you want the bullet to strike. Moving the rear sight left, moves the bullet impact left, moving the rear sight up, moves the bullet impact up, saavy?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,421 Times in 4,196 Posts

Try this

The AR-15 rifle has two adjustable sights- front and rear. Zeroing elevation adjustments are made using the front sight, and windage adjustments with the rear.

The rear sight has an elevation knob with range indicators from 300 to 800 meters and two apertures for range. One aperture is marked 0-2 for short range from 0-200 meters and the unmarked aperture for normal range from 300 to 800 meters. This unmarked aperture is used in conjunction with the elevation knob for 300-800 meter targets.

The rear sight also consists of a windage knob on the right side of the sight. Each click of the windage knob will move the strike of the round from 1/8 inch at 25 meters to 4 inches at 800 meters. A windage knob pointer is on the windage knob.

The front sight consists of a rotating sight post with a spring loaded detent. This detent can be depressed using a sight adjustment tool, or using a sharp point such as a cartridge tip.

Establish Zero
The following procedure will establish a zero at 25 meters, and your AR-15 will be set with a 300 meter battlesight zero. This means that all shots will be within a 9" circle at all ranges up to 300 meters.

Establish Mechanical Zero -

Align the windage indicator mark on the 0-2 aperture with the center line of the windage scale (the unmarked aperture is up)
Rotate the elevation knob down until the range scale 8/3 (300-meter) mark is aligned with the mark on the left side of the receiver.
Rotate the front sight post up or down as required until the base of the front sight post is flush with the top of the sight post well.
Carefully aim and fire each shot of a 3-shot group at a paper target set up at 25 meters. If your shots are not striking the point-of-aim, then adjust your sights.

To raise the next shot group, rotate the front sight post in the direction marked UP (clockwise)
To lower the next shot group, rotate the front sight post in the direction marked DOWN (counter-clockwise)
To move the next shot group left, turn windage knob counterclockwise
To move the next shot group right, turn the windage knob clockwise

Continue to fire 3-shot groups and adjust the sights until you have a tight group at the point of aim.

Once this is done, the unmarked aperture is automatically zeroed. Rifle is now combat-zeroed all other ranges on the elevation knob are also zeroed, so to engage target at say 500 meters, turn wheel to 5.

LibraryAR-15AK-47HandgunArmoryTrainingGeneralOutdoorsHometownIndu stryEquipment ExchangeCopyright© 1996-2009 AR15.Com LLC. All Rights Reserved. Advertising Information Team Memberships Join the NRA Discussion Forums Help Privacy Policy About Us
The Following User Says Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 12:29 PM

+1. It's probably a sight misalignment, or you're pulling your shots. Try sighting it in again and practicing good trigger control.

How high and to the right are you? Keep in mind that your iron sights are a couple of inches higher than the barrel.

If it's not your sights, you may have a more serious problem. Damage to the rifling at the muzzle perhaps. If you have taken care not to damage the last 1-2 inches of the rifling, then it's probably a sighting issue.

You may want to invest in a bore sight laser, they have some that fit into the chamber and shine down the barrel. You can shine one down range and make sure your sights are lined up with the barrel at whatever distance you are trying to sight in your rifle. This will save you some money on ammo while trying to sight in the rifle, as you can sight it in without firing a single round. If the laser and the sights are both on the same exact spot, but you're still shooting high and right, then you may be pulling your shots.

EDIT: Wow! there was one reply when I started typing. Hope I didn't just repeat what had already been said!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by magfed556 View Post
Couple questions.
Have you tried adjusting your sights to compensate for Point of Impact(POI)?
Are you only using one brand of Ammo?
How many rounds do you have through it so far?
Yes but after 2 rugers comment, honestly I just went and checked my ar to see if I can somehow adjust the front site. I didnt think I could, but looks like maybe I can. The front sight can be adjusted also? That may account for the higher elevation in shot. But I did mess with the buis a bunch last time trying to get it to comepensate for poi. And just seemed to make it worse. I understand the change maybe in a 100 yards, but at 50 is where I was shooting most at, I figured having it set straight in the middle wouldve been ok.

I used 240 federal 55g but used 60 Remington .223 55gr

Before yesterday..prob about 1100 or so
Old 10-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rugers View Post
Do you have an owners manual with it Pacifico? The rear sight should have click adjustments for windage and elevation. You move the sight up or down, left or right according to where you want the bullet to strike. Moving the rear sight left, moves the bullet impact left, moving the rear sight up, moves the bullet impact up, saavy?
Lol my bad rugers, wasnt trying to be a smartass. The buis doesnt seem to have an levation adjustment. Yeah checked the manual, doesnt really give me too much. Got it at a gunshow.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:42 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
+1. It's probably a sight misalignment, or you're pulling your shots. Try sighting it in again and practicing good trigger control.

How high and to the right are you? Keep in mind that your iron sights are a couple of inches higher than the barrel.

If it's not your sights, you may have a more serious problem. Damage to the rifling at the muzzle perhaps. If you have taken care not to damage the last 1-2 inches of the rifling, then it's probably a sighting issue.

You may want to invest in a bore sight laser, they have some that fit into the chamber and shine down the barrel. You can shine one down range and make sure your sights are lined up with the barrel at whatever distance you are trying to sight in your rifle. This will save you some money on ammo while trying to sight in the rifle, as you can sight it in without firing a single round. If the laser and the sights are both on the same exact spot, but you're still shooting high and right, then you may be pulling your shots.

EDIT: Wow! there was one reply when I started typing. Hope I didn't just repeat what had already been said!
I am about 16''-2ft up and about 8-10" inches to the right. Nah I cant imagine damage to the rifling muzzle. Everything looks perfectly fine and only ahot around 1400 round after yesterday through it. But thats the thing, Im usually a good shot. Great shot with an m1a, and very good with an ar. Kinda what made me get one, loved the accuracy...lol except mine damnit!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Recent Blog:
I FEAR COWARDS MOST

Give the rear sight 3 clicks in elevation and pay attention to the direction you clicked it. Fire 3 shots, check your target. Do the same with the windage adjustment. Make sure you pay sharpish attention to the direction you clicked or you will be chasing bullets all over that paper.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2rugers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Martian Invader from Mars

Use this next time you go shooting, once your sights are zeroed in

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elixin77 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I love this forum

How do you clean your barrel? From the breech or from the muzzle end? The reason I ask is sometimes when you clean it from the muzzle end, (which by the why is not recommended) you end up with nick on the tip of the barrel, sometimes not even noticeable without using a magnifying glass and that in itself will throw off your POI.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Beans, Bullets & Bandages

Quote:
Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
Use this next time you go shooting, once your sights are zeroed in

The above pic is mainly for a handgun not rifle!!

High and right is nothing more than your trigger pull. Do not use just the tip of your finger. Place the finger where is rest natrually and pull the trigger strait back.

Here is what we call the dime and washer drill (you can use a .25 coin). Place it on the end of the rifle just before the muzzle brake. From the prone pull the trigger with out the coin falling off. This should improve your tigger pull alot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMgoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I love this forum

Another question, are your groups tight and consistent at 100 yrds?
Old 10-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Gott Mit Uns

Thanked 1,536 Times in 809 Posts

MGoose has a nice diagram. It basically says what I was going to try and say. The book Tactical Pistol Shooting by Erik Lawrence has something similar. High and Right on his chart is applying strong thumb pressure, anticipating recoil (pulling the trigger at an angle)
I find most of the people I help shoot, if they have problems anticipating recoil shoot low.
I did not read all the posts to see is it was covered, however a laser guide can let you know bad practice habits. When I first started shooting, seeing the laser dip down right before I shot really helped me stop anticipating recoil. A lot of people say to use 22, I found the opposite, shooting my 357, made me feel like I was shooting a bb gun when I switched to my 45 or 9mm. I had lots of bad habits, now I shoot expert, usually 236-239 out of 240 for qualifications. I still can not get the perfect 240. Start with the fundimentals and you will get there. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Beans, Bullets & Bandages

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc View Post
MGoose has a nice diagram. It basically says what I was going to try and say. The book Tactical Pistol Shooting by Erik Lawrence has something similar. High and Right on his chart is applying strong thumb pressure, anticipating recoil (pulling the trigger at an angle)
I find most of the people I help shoot, if they have problems anticipating recoil shoot low.
I did not read all the posts to see is it was covered, however a laser guide can let you know bad practice habits. When I first started shooting, seeing the laser dip down right before I shot really helped me stop anticipating recoil. A lot of people say to use 22, I found the opposite, shooting my 357, made me feel like I was shooting a bb gun when I switched to my 45 or 9mm. I had lots of bad habits, now I shoot expert, usually 236-239 out of 240 for qualifications. I still can not get the perfect 240. Start with the fundimentals and you will get there. Good luck.
What I was trying to say with that pic that was posted by some one else. Is that you can use it MAINLY FOR A HANGUN, does not apply to a rifle!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Martian Invader from Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMgoose View Post
The above pic is for a handgun!!
I'm sorry about that. Glanced at the title, and went on a crazy hunt-fest on google for that pic before I read all of the OP.

Either way, something good to hang onto