Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 PM

Default New user looking for SHTF house plans

Advertise Here

hi, just found this site and looks good!

i'm wondering if you guys have seen anywhere to find house plans that were specifically designed for SHTF scenarios. Not fortresses, but real houses that could be maximally barricaded/defended in the worse case?

I have some land in Texas with great sight lines (low hill near center of property) and no neighbors for thousands of yards. Looking to build a retirement home on it, and since I have a blank slate, would like it to be something that could last me thru thick and thin, if you know what i mean.

There's water on the place, so I'll have a well. Lots of sun and wind, so solar and windtricity are available. But am thinking a house's design would really play a big part in how many it would take to successfully defend it from a horde (or if it could be). on the other hand, would like the "survival/defensive" features to be not very noticeable to the casual visitor, up until that fateful day.

make sense? anyone know where to find anything like this anywhere?

thanks in advance!!!!
Old 05-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Prophet

if i had the land, i would build a dome network.
look at this site:
monolithic.com

they are made out of concrete, and are pretty disaster resistant.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:26 AM

Default roman-style villa anyone?

Very interesting topic. I hope other people have more to share.

For a Texas location, I've always toyed with the idea of a somewhat modified Roman villa...rooms on the outside of a u-shape or a square with a central courtyard/garden in the middle, patio walkways going around, and a covered gate at one end.

That would provide good ventilation and a protected outdoor location where at least some food could still be grown. Things valuable to a mob could be hidden from ransacking.

Hope this helps!

-Herschel
Old 05-18-2008, 03:36 AM
not a nut

Thanked 1,319 Times in 632 Posts

If things are stable in the next 5 -10 years my retirement plans are for a combination of sorts, bottom half earthship top half A frame.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:09 AM
A friend of the Site

I would recommend two books one by Ragnar Benson called Modern Survival Retreat and Joel Skousen and is called the The Secure Home

Benson's book is about defenses of the home, Skousen's book is how to build a home and "harden" it. Both are relatively expensive (for books).
The Following User Says Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2008, 10:58 AM

thanks for the inputs, keep 'em coming.

i guess this will be a "do it myself" endeavor...

was hoping to find some ready-drawn plans for sell or download. looks like i'll have to do my own research and come up with my own design.

if anyone DOES know of a site with plans, would still love to find it.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Target Shooter

You could add a "panic room" if you are building from the ground up. Its basically a mini bunker in your house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_room
Old 05-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm keeping my eye on you

This is a very interesting topic. Please keep the rest of us posted on what you come up with. thanks
Old 05-18-2008, 09:08 PM
A little a day adds up

Default Some suggestions

If building an underground bunker or a earth-sheltered home is out of the question, I think your best bet would be to simply have a "normal" home built and then strengthen the weak points. Doors, windows and other points of entry, along with some type of protection against fire.

For example:

-Roof
Lightweight concrete roof tiles are fire, wind and hail resistant, as well as being long lasting. (example)

-Windows
Safety & Security Window Films for protection against weather, intruders, bomb blasts, etc. (example)

-Door
A good quality steel door with door jamb armor for an extra layer of protection (example)

-Exterior protection
Rolling shutters for doors and windows. Out of sight when you don't need them. Flick a switch and you have excellent protection against weather and intruders. (example)

-Sentry Gun
For front and backyard. Sleep in peace while a robot takes care of all the nasties that show up in the middle of the night. (just kidding but would be cool!)

These were just a few things that I came up with off the top of my head. Maybe others can add some more suggestions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jake2112 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,726 Posts

Build into the south side of the hill. Have the roof and 3 sides covered with soil. 1 side facing south with large over hang. Use local plants to hide / camoflauge property. Have a few emergency tunnels(storm drain pipe) to manholes strategically placed for escape. Get a type of locking mechanism on the manhole covers and booby trap the tunnels as you leave.
The Following User Says Thank You to kajunman1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Prophet

have a look at this:
http://static.monolithic.com/gallery...ung/index.html

and
http://www.dreamgreenhomes.com/style...arthbermed.htm

theres a lot of stuff on google for underground or bermed homes.

peace
al
Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 AM
not a nut

Thanked 1,319 Times in 632 Posts

Wow, that the invisible dome home is awesome, thank you for the link.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajunman1 View Post
Build into the south side of the hill. Have the roof and 3 sides covered with soil. 1 side facing south with large over hang. Use local plants to hide / camoflauge property. Have a few emergency tunnels(storm drain pipe) to manholes strategically placed for escape. Get a type of locking mechanism on the manhole covers and booby trap the tunnels as you leave.
I have seen "build ont he south side of a hill" alot. Why the south side?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 AM
A friend of the Site

Quote:
So you can take advantage of the sun, or solar advantages.

Quote:
South-Facing Windows
by Sam Davidson (Wednesday, May 2, 2007)

Get out your compass.

If you want to maximize your time and money, see what's hanging on your south-facing windows. If you live in the US, these windows receive the most sunlight and heat throughout the day (north windows receive the least, and east and west get hit hard, but only briefly). By opening shades, blinds or curtains on these windows in the daytime, you can allow natural heat and light in. But, to stay cool(er) in the summer, keep them covered so you won't need the AC humming incessantly. Focusing your efforts can reduce your both your carbon emissions and heating bill.
Quote:
South facing windows
South facing windows receive no direct sun in winter but will receive a few hours of morning and afternoon sun in summer months. For this reason, they lose heat in winter and gain some undesirable heat in summer. South facing windows should be large enough to allow good ventilation and light to enter the home without losing too much heat in winter.

Vertical elements such as external screening or landscaping in conjunction with internal blinds will be most effective at shading south facing windows, since the majority of this sun is at low angle. Basic 'eaves overhang' in combination with internal window treatments will also assist solar control to south facing windows. This is because in mid summer the sun can fall on an unshaded southern fašade for approximately 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours again in the afternoon. For the more northerly latitudes (eg Geraldton) provision of shading to south facing windows is even more important. This is because at this latitude there can be an additional 45 minutes of mid summer sun falling on the south face of a building, morning and afternoon.
The Following User Says Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 AM
A friend of the Site

Quote:
So you can take advantage of the sun, or solar advantages.

Quote:
South-Facing Windows
by Sam Davidson (Wednesday, May 2, 2007)

Get out your compass.

If you want to maximize your time and money, see what's hanging on your south-facing windows. If you live in the US, these windows receive the most sunlight and heat throughout the day (north windows receive the least, and east and west get hit hard, but only briefly). By opening shades, blinds or curtains on these windows in the daytime, you can allow natural heat and light in. But, to stay cool(er) in the summer, keep them covered so you won't need the AC humming incessantly. Focusing your efforts can reduce your both your carbon emissions and heating bill.
Quote:
South facing windows
South facing windows receive no direct sun in winter but will receive a few hours of morning and afternoon sun in summer months. For this reason, they lose heat in winter and gain some undesirable heat in summer. South facing windows should be large enough to allow good ventilation and light to enter the home without losing too much heat in winter.

Vertical elements such as external screening or landscaping in conjunction with internal blinds will be most effective at shading south facing windows, since the majority of this sun is at low angle. Basic 'eaves overhang' in combination with internal window treatments will also assist solar control to south facing windows. This is because in mid summer the sun can fall on an unshaded southern fašade for approximately 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours again in the afternoon. For the more northerly latitudes (eg Geraldton) provision of shading to south facing windows is even more important. This is because at this latitude there can be an additional 45 minutes of mid summer sun falling on the south face of a building, morning and afternoon.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by awildchipmunk View Post
Wow, that the invisible dome home is awesome, thank you for the link.
if you actually look around on the monolithic web site, they are probably the best build structures for disasters. I know, I have done many hours of research.
They can withstand up to 4000PSI of pressure. With this kind of duribility, they would be excellent for underground building.
They can even stop a rifle round at 10 feet(can't remember what caliber).
http://static.monolithic.com/thedome...est/index.html

...and no, i don't work for them, and am not affiliated with them in any way.
I'm just trying to help out. Trust me, i've been thinking of building one for some time.

peace
al
Old 05-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Location: Where the ancient redwoods meet the ocean, Pacific Northwest
Thanked 1,881 Times in 510 Posts

http://www.cobprojects.info/
http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/man...systems.htm#SS
http://www.buildsomethingbeautiful.c...cts/cadhay.htm
http://static.monolithic.com/gallery...ictorial2.html
http://static.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/index.html
http://www.green-trust.org/bagend.htm

happy building.....
Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 PM

wow, you guys are awesome. fortunately, i have a couple of years minimum before i start something. will be limited on some issues by the spouseal unit (doubt i'll ever sale the build into a hill idea) but with the right planning, a LOT of these ideas can be used and will only be visible to a highly trained obeserver or when they come in to play.

please keep the ideas rolling in, i'm sure there are more out there... i already got more than i ever thought i would!

thanks again and again!!!