Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Love My Husky/Samoyed

Thanked 13,537 Times in 4,846 Posts

Advertise Here

Remington went bad a long time ago. When i used to sell Guns, I had a customer that baught a 700 at Wal-Mart. he braught it to me and insisted that the action would not close on a Cartridge. the
barrel was marked 30-06, and a 30-06 would not fit. on a hunch, I miced the Chamber, and it turned out it had been reemed to .308 Win. Specs. How does that get out of the Factory?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 PM
May the Lord be with us

Thanked 8,085 Times in 3,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud556 View Post
Ive never heard of anything like this about the model 700... maybe people with 700's will chime in with their experiances.
Hi Hud.

I have never heard of this before your post.

I have had the same model 700 MR in .270 for 24 years and have never experienced any problem.... except being so light weight she kicks like a mule!
The Following User Says Thank You to Goethic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,130 Times in 3,678 Posts

The extractor is a bit lightweight on the 700. Replacing it with the SAKO extractor cures the problem nicely, and if you have ever lost an extractor while hunting, it is a pita to poke your empty out with a cleaning rod.... Mine is iin 7mm Rem Mag, and I can second your motion about the recoil...
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,102 Times in 312 Posts

Hey labotomi,

There is a video on NRA news, and they have a guy from Remington defense. He did talk a little about the general question you posted after me about a recall on the product. I don't know what model they talked about on CNBC and the models Remington changed...if that makes sense

http://www.nranews.com/#/nranews

A lot of those investigative reports find a document on something and say there was a problem. But in most cases there was an improvement right away because that issue.

I would more worry about those so-called experts that CNBC had. The one “corporate insider” that said he worked at the Remington firearms plant lies thru his teeth. Under oath he said that he worked at the ammo plant down south somewhere. The trail lawyer expert also lied for CNBC, because in court he told another story…the opposite
The Following User Says Thank You to burdock41 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 12:11 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdock41 View Post
Hey labotomi,

There is a video on NRA news, and they have a guy from Remington defense. He did talk a little about the general question you posted after me about a recall on the product. I don't know what model they talked about on CNBC and the models Remington changed...if that makes sense

http://www.nranews.com/#/nranews

A lot of those investigative reports find a document on something and say there was a problem. But in most cases there was an improvement right away because that issue.

I would more worry about those so-called experts that CNBC had. The one “corporate insider” that said he worked at the Remington firearms plant lies thru his teeth. Under oath he said that he worked at the ammo plant down south somewhere. The trail lawyer expert also lied for CNBC, because in court he told another story…the opposite
I'm no expert and thus have to rely on what is stated by others and you're absolutely correct in that sometimes the media uses dubious sources or distorts the facts to make the story more interesting.

That being said, what happened with our 700 BDL (pre 82) seems to support the accusations. It just seems strange that 3 people have had incidents similar to what is described and have never had a problem with any other firearms.

Regardless, I'm going to go ahead and replace the trigger with an aftermarket one. It's not worth chancing in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,102 Times in 312 Posts

I would say for your peace of mind, is to go right ahead and change the trigger on your 700. You will get a better trigger out of it…lower the pounds on that trigger.

A lot of people change triggers in their firearms. I’m in the process of doing that to one of my AR’s. I’m also having some work done on some of my handgun triggers.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Question

The scene where the Swat officer or military sniper makes the rifle fire by slapping the bolt was enough for me to discredit most of the other BS. Anyone else here own a Widow maker,Headbuster made by Winchester? I know they offered to exchange the Mod. 11SL for new Mod. 12's but there are still some widow makers out there. Just trying to make a point some companies do, some companies don't.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:04 PM
May the Lord be with us

Thanked 8,085 Times in 3,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
The extractor is a bit lightweight on the 700. Replacing it with the SAKO extractor cures the problem nicely, and if you have ever lost an extractor while hunting, it is a pita to poke your empty out with a cleaning rod.... Mine is iin 7mm Rem Mag, and I can second your motion about the recoil...
Back in the day, 20-some years ago they were really hammering the marketing on the advantages of the Mountain Rifle's light weight, all day carrying ease....

Hindsight being 20/20, that light a weight rifle in a serious calibre like 7 mm Rem Mag or .270 Win. = a very enjoyable rifle to "carry," but not necessarily such an enjoyable rifle to shoot repeatedly.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Hunter

I have bought four Remmy 700 since 1998 and they have all worked fine and shoot great for me.

If I do run into a problem I will just pick up a quality replacement trigger like Shillin, Timmney, etc.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,552 Posts

This is why muzzle safety is crucial. Always point your gun in the safest possible direction.