Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Hud556's Avatar
Hud556 Hud556 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 56
Thanks: 30
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Default model 700 safety issues



Advertise Here

Im watching MSNBC and they have been showing videos of model 700's firing without the trigger being pulled. Is anyone watching this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hud556 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 PM
53convert 53convert is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,706
Thanks: 2,065
Thanked 3,530 Times in 1,807 Posts
Default

yeah, heard of that. The rem 721/725 had the same problems through the years....that was corrected with a recall and an up date to the newer problem free 700 trigger assembly...........sigh, guess my 721 goes back again........
Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Highlander's Avatar
Highlander Highlander is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Age: 44
Posts: 8,248
Thanks: 12,297
Thanked 14,798 Times in 4,243 Posts
Exclamation Remington 700. A Flawed Design?

I am watching an investigative report on CNBC called "Remington Under Fire.". The show is a disturbing report about the Remington 700 discharging upon disengaging the safety and/or opening the bolt to unload the weapon.

According to the report, this has been going on with the 700 for nearly 60 years, resulting in accidental deaths, injuries and property damage. During this time, Remington has refused to acknowledge the problem and has paid out millions of dollars in settled suits. One of them was over 12 million after the death of a 9 year old boy and a 6 million settlement after a man shot off his foot. Both happened during unloading the rifle. There have thousands upon thousands of complaints to Remington.

Allegedly the design of their beautiful trigger is the culprit. They had videos of military and police snipers documenting the "Remington Incidents."' I was clear from the videos that the trigger was not touched. They even had the designer of the 700 stating that he brought it to Remington's attention prior to manufacturing the 700 along with a fix yet it was not implemented.

Has anyone here ever experienced this? Has anyone else heard of this possible cover up?

Unfortunately, my wife caught this program at the death of the child. She looked at me as serious as I have ever seen her and asked if I had that gun. Well, I had to tell her yes. I bought a gorgeous 700 in .308 with a bull barrel in Sept 09. I fell in love with it ad soon as I had shot it. When I zeroed it for 100 yards, my grouping was tight enough to put round through the hole of the previous round (from a resting position). It quickly became my go-to deer rifle.

Long story short, she is insisting that I get rid of it this week. I have never had or suspected a problem with it and deer season is two weeks away.

I am not happy with this one bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Hud556's Avatar
Hud556 Hud556 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 56
Thanks: 30
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Ive never heard of anything like this about the model 700... maybe people with 700's will chime in with their experiances.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 AM
Rascals's Avatar
Rascals Rascals is offline
Never Give up
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Portland Or
Posts: 7,091
Thanks: 10,122
Thanked 12,727 Times in 4,111 Posts
Default

Ok hunny, But you understand with it only 2 weeks before season my new rifle (the only one I can get on such short notice) is going to be comming from Barrett. Ohh and by the way I need the Bors system also. As my current scope wont work. Then instead of hunting go do something else and then come home to your new toy. Problem solved.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rascals For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 06:55 AM
hatchet jack hatchet jack is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 205
Thanks: 22
Thanked 148 Times in 83 Posts
Default

If your worried about it you can adjust the trigger to have better sear engagement and that should make it safe.

Or maybe even better just buy an aftermarket replacement trigger from Timney or someone else for a hundred bucks and keep the rifle you like so well. Wasn't that easy?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 07:22 AM
cocador's Avatar
cocador cocador is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 474
Thanks: 26
Thanked 419 Times in 190 Posts
Default

I've owned probably 15 or these so called flawed 700's. I never had an issue with the trigger.

Don't get rid of the rifle. That's ignorant. Go buy an after market trigger.

Rifle Basix
Timney
Shilen
Jewell

I prefer the rifle basix. Simply one of the best. Easily installed.

Jewell is more of a bench rest trigger and the tolerances are such that in a hunting situation if it gets dust and dirt in it it could fail to operate correctly ( seize )
The Following User Says Thank You to cocador For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Hungry's Avatar
Hungry Hungry is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cackalacky
Age: 44
Posts: 6,172
Thanks: 19,902
Thanked 11,590 Times in 4,254 Posts
Default

Highlander,
I was first made aware of this problem in the '90s while in the service. One way around the problem is to not use the safety. I trained with one for years, and now own one. I can count on one hand how many times I've used the safety. If your ready to fire, load a round, if you don't fire, unload it. Problem solved.

Good Luck
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 AM
53convert 53convert is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,706
Thanks: 2,065
Thanked 3,530 Times in 1,807 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud556 View Post
Ive never heard of anything like this about the model 700... maybe people with 700's will chime in with their experiances.
Well, I cant tell ya specifically on the 700 though my gun smith had mentioned but the 721/724, which by the way, is the father of the 700, had a problem with the trigger getting dirty and gumming up. Specifically the throw. So after years of neglect (not cleaning) the weapon could be put on safe, loaded and as the bolt was moved forward the safety would disengage and relase the firing pin..........made for interesting moments in the deer camp. Like I say, Rem corrected the 721/725 problem by replacing them with the 700 trigger assembly.

Oh yeah, the lake of cleaning ability on the 721 was because the trigger assembly was a beatch to put back together
The Following User Says Thank You to 53convert For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 AM
labotomi labotomi is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,069
Thanks: 1,284
Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default

Seems the older (pre-2007) models could have this problem, but the new 700s have a redesigned trigger.

Interestingly, the 770 rifles have the same trigger that was in the problem rifles.



I had a rifle go off while I was unloading it when I was around 13 (.270 BDL). I thought that I had done something wrong, but it's possible that this had something to do with it
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 AM
stant's Avatar
stant stant is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: kentucky
Posts: 6,083
Thanks: 1,841
Thanked 4,692 Times in 2,245 Posts
Default

ive never heard of it before.mine has never failed.this smells of a hit piece to scare folks. the military has used them as the m24 and m40 to this day
Old 10-21-2010, 10:27 AM
robbiec's Avatar
robbiec robbiec is offline
Experiment 626
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE Florida
Age: 47
Posts: 2,311
Thanks: 2,281
Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,084 Posts
Default

actually, it is even older than that.. the rifles with the problem are from back in the early 80's and older. There was a lawsuit filed, a recall/fix issued, and Remington acknowledged the problem.... 20+years ago. The media is behind the times and just trying to drum up more anti-gun crap before the elections.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Highlander's Avatar
Highlander Highlander is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Age: 44
Posts: 8,248
Thanks: 12,297
Thanked 14,798 Times in 4,243 Posts
Default

Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 AM
labotomi labotomi is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,069
Thanks: 1,284
Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiec View Post
actually, it is even older than that.. the rifles with the problem are from back in the early 80's and older. There was a lawsuit filed, a recall/fix issued, and Remington acknowledged the problem.... 20+years ago. The media is behind the times and just trying to drum up more anti-gun crap before the elections.
Sounds like the problem was fixed in 2007 and there have been no recalls.



Quote:
In 2007, partly in response to the lawsuits, Remington introduced a new trigger system for the 700 called the X-Mark Pro. The controversial trigger connector is gone, and the safety includes a trigger block, just as Mike Walker proposed in 1948.
Quote:
But the Walker trigger is still used in Remington's 770 rifle, as well as older models of the 700 still on sale at retailers worldwide
Quote:
And Remington never instituted a recall of the five million Remington 700s already sold.
Quote:
Remington has made some changes in the rifle. In 1982, it eliminated a feature called a "bolt lock," which required the user to switch off the safety in order to unload the gun—a common source of inadvertent discharges.

But Remington did not publicize the change until 2002. That year, Remington came closest to a recall. The company offered—for a $20 fee—to retrofit existing rifles, removing the bolt lock so they could be unloaded with the safety on
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ger-cnbc_N.htm
Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 AM
labotomi labotomi is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,069
Thanks: 1,284
Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default

Double post

Last edited by labotomi; 10-21-2010 at 11:11 AM..
Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 AM
rokitman's Avatar
rokitman rokitman is offline
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Coast of CA
Posts: 13,175
Thanks: 15,406
Thanked 21,628 Times in 8,628 Posts
Default

I wonder if this flaw also includes the 710 and 770. I dont know if they have similar trigger and safety assemblies! Anybody know?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 AM
labotomi labotomi is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,069
Thanks: 1,284
Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitman View Post
I wonder if this flaw also includes the 710 and 770. I dont know if they have similar trigger and safety assemblies! Anybody know?
The article stated that the flawed trigger is still used in the 770, but I'm not sure about the 710
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Burtenshaw Burtenshaw is offline
Apocaloptimist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 174
Thanks: 153
Thanked 149 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Here is a link to a page on that CNBC show http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/

And a link to the article http://www.cnbc.com/id/39759366

"In 1979, following a jury verdict that led to the recall of a similar Remington rifle—the Mohawk 600—officials considered whether to recall the more popular 700 series, but decided against it. The minutes of a Remington Product Safety Subcommittee meeting on January 2, 1979 listed two reasons for the decision. First, the minutes say, a Remington analysis had found “only 1%” of the guns could be “tricked” into firing. “That would mean the recall would have to gather 2,000,000 guns just to find 20,000 that are susceptible to this condition,” the minutes say."

The show said the "1%" today could mean 50,000 guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocador View Post
I've owned probably 15 or these so called flawed 700's. I never had an issue with the trigger.
So apparently you may not be in the unlucky 1%.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:23 AM
rokitman's Avatar
rokitman rokitman is offline
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Coast of CA
Posts: 13,175
Thanks: 15,406
Thanked 21,628 Times in 8,628 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by labotomi View Post
The article stated that the flawed trigger is still used in the 770, but I'm not sure about the 710
Thanks bud, just another reason to get rid of my 770! I've had bolt problems with it since I got it and now with potential trigger problems, might be a good time to get something different! I got a ton of 308win so I'll need to find something else to use it in!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 AM
CZDiesel's Avatar
CZDiesel CZDiesel is offline
I stand alone!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Top of the Rockies
Posts: 3,218
Thanks: 5,167
Thanked 4,728 Times in 1,935 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
I am watching an investigative report on CNBC called "Remington Under Fire.". The show is a disturbing report about the Remington 700 discharging upon disengaging the safety and/or opening the bolt to unload the weapon.

According to the report, this has been going on with the 700 for nearly 60 years, resulting in accidental deaths, injuries and property damage. During this time, Remington has refused to acknowledge the problem and has paid out millions of dollars in settled suits. One of them was over 12 million after the death of a 9 year old boy and a 6 million settlement after a man shot off his foot. Both happened during unloading the rifle. There have thousands upon thousands of complaints to Remington.

Allegedly the design of their beautiful trigger is the culprit. They had videos of military and police snipers documenting the "Remington Incidents."' I was clear from the videos that the trigger was not touched. They even had the designer of the 700 stating that he brought it to Remington's attention prior to manufacturing the 700 along with a fix yet it was not implemented.

Has anyone here ever experienced this? Has anyone else heard of this possible cover up?

Unfortunately, my wife caught this program at the death of the child. She looked at me as serious as I have ever seen her and asked if I had that gun. Well, I had to tell her yes. I bought a gorgeous 700 in .308 with a bull barrel in Sept 09. I fell in love with it ad soon as I had shot it. When I zeroed it for 100 yards, my grouping was tight enough to put round through the hole of the previous round (from a resting position). It quickly became my go-to deer rifle.

Long story short, she is insisting that I get rid of it this week. I have never had or suspected a problem with it and deer season is two weeks away.

I am not happy with this one bit.
Just get rid of the trigger Highlander.... Replace the Rem trigger woth the much better Timney trigger

http://timneytriggers.com/

call it a win - win
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
.308, deer rifle, model 700 safety issues, remington, remington 700, remington model 700



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Afghanistan Counter Insurgency effort is flawed northwoodsdude General Discussion 0 03-06-2010 02:13 AM
A sheepel’s, flawed survival plan stilllearning Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 01-28-2010 11:02 PM
Flawed Thinking forrestdweller Firearms General Discussion 31 07-15-2009 03:03 PM
UK's attempts to stop swine flu called flawed blackkitty Manmade and Natural Disasters 0 05-21-2009 02:44 PM
Study: Lethal injection method flawed kev General Discussion 3 04-24-2007 06:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net