Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I love this forum

Default Most uncharted parts of the US?

Advertise Here

Are there any places in America you'd say aren't fully explored?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,813 Times in 1,696 Posts

Yes. Much of Alaska.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Hunter

None in the Lower 48 worth mentioning. Even in the depths of Yellowstone Park there's almost nowhere more than 20 miles from a paved road.

Here in the East in the Great Smoky Mountains NP there is nowhere more than 7 miles from a paved road.

Some places in the Salmon River Valley of Idaho are the wildest in the 48 states.

There's some deep woods in Maine and Northeast Minnesota. There's the Everglades and some of the rock and canyon country in Utah is remote. Southeast Oregon is big and wide open.
The Following User Says Thank You to hillsidedigger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM
GTFO 12'

Thanked 1,222 Times in 532 Posts

Hands down Alaska.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 7,425 Times in 1,922 Posts
Default 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy2010 View Post
Are there any places in America you'd say aren't fully explored?
EVERYWHERE that is currently remote.

It takes a person, to go out to there, to see and record how that location is now, at this point in time.

Caliguy ... all you need is a Jeep ... and a desire to head north east. You will find what is not fully explored.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,018 Posts

Michigan upper peninsula
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 PM

I just got here - just learning my way around, trying to stick to things I've seen first hand - Alaska is the most wilderness area I've ever been in. That was 30 years ago but the population is probably less there now than during the pipeline construction since the crews are long gone.

I'm new to WV but last summer I saw parts of the New River that you could only reach by raft - no road for miles. If you messed up the only help would be a helicopter - if they could get a signal out.

I grew up in SC and there's swamps in every southern state that have stuff no one alive now has seen....probably don't wanna see some of the stuff in there, either! (I came from the same general area as the Swamp Fox of the Revolutionary War)
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 PM
John 3:16

Thanked 48,138 Times in 20,533 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Alaska overall, and area 51 of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,701 Times in 2,397 Posts

Maybe central Alaska. Depends on what you mean by "fully explored". By some definitions you could say I haven't fully explored my attic.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 6,739 Times in 3,188 Posts

When I was in Kauai, I was told that there are parts of the interior that are almost impossible to get to and possible never seen a human footprint. I don't know if it is true. I have also heard that there are people that have moved into the interior and are homesteading totally off the gird.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 PM
knowledge is power

Depending on the type of S that HTF, I wouldn't necessarily want to be in AK.
Consider this scenario:
War with China. Where are the going to land first and Why? A populated area like L.A. Because they love our Kung Fu movies? Try a sparsely populated area with known and developed infrastructure for capturing war related natural resources of Oil, Coal and fish. Anchorage would probably be vaporized even with our new missle defense system. If the SHTF, I'm headed into the Yukon or British Columbia. Its rough to impossible terrain, and if it's winter, well, nothing but a boat is going to get you out of here anyways.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Set Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
Michigan upper peninsula
Yes there are alot of areas to dissappear in the U.P.
Land and houses are cheap but there are no jobs and the weather can be brutal in the winter.

You can drive down a side road for 35 miles and not see a side road or a building then it will just end. Then you could hoof it over 100 miles before you run into another road.

Much of the land is owned by mine co.'s and even indirectly Ford or the state. It is no mans land up there and many people live off grid as power co.'s dont run miles of wires for a couple houses.The people up there are a different breed and will not be all that affected by a shtf situation.

There are retiree's that are relocating up there due to low property prices and low taxes. They are joining a group of older people that live there as most youngeters want to leave the area due to jobs and lack of city folk things to do.

There is beautifull land there and real long winters and snowmobiles are an important part of life up there. People shovel their roofs up there and dont shovel the sidewalks. It is a sight to see snow up to the eves and people on the roofs. Parking spaces by the house are surrounded by 10'-15' of snow.
I know women there that chew tobacco and can drink more whiskey than most men.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nimmer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,500 Times in 33,068 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
Maybe central Alaska. Depends on what you mean by "fully explored". By some definitions you could say I haven't fully explored my attic.
That's my thinking too. I doubt if there are very many places that haven't been at least explored. They may not be charted. They may be so remote that they aren't visited, but I bet they've been explored at some time.

Might be better to start looking for the most remote locations. Places that nobody go, or are hard to get to. I figure there has to be a few hidden jewels somewhere. You know, that absolutely perfect place for a remote cabin in the wilderness. Good water, land that would support crops and animals, etc.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,299 Times in 1,585 Posts

U.S./Canadian border
Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Preparing for tomorrow

How about Northern Montana near the Canadian border?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:31 PM
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
Michigan upper peninsula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimmer View Post
Yes there are alot of areas to dissappear in the U.P.
Land and houses are cheap but there are no jobs and the weather can be brutal in the winter.

You can drive down a side road for 35 miles and not see a side road or a building then it will just end. Then you could hoof it over 100 miles before you run into another road.

Much of the land is owned by mine co.'s and even indirectly Ford or the state. It is no mans land up there and many people live off grid as power co.'s dont run miles of wires for a couple houses.The people up there are a different breed and will not be all that affected by a shtf situation.

There are retiree's that are relocating up there due to low property prices and low taxes. They are joining a group of older people that live there as most youngeters want to leave the area due to jobs and lack of city folk things to do.

There is beautifull land there and real long winters and snowmobiles are an important part of life up there. People shovel their roofs up there and dont shovel the sidewalks. It is a sight to see snow up to the eves and people on the roofs. Parking spaces by the house are surrounded by 10'-15' of snow.
I know women there that chew tobacco and can drink more whiskey than most men.
My wife and I both grew up in the heart of the U.P.. I love it up there and will return one day, hell I even got it tattooed on my stomach. There is much of it nobody has been thru and I did my best getting there. Its not out of the ordinary to see snow blowers up on roofs in the middle of summer, its just easier to leave them up there. Its wild country and I hope nobody ever goes up there. Please, dont go. Really.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 PM
knowledge is power

Ever been to northern Wi or MN especially in the winter?
The U.P. and BWCA will be filled by suburbanites from Minneapolis. Probably better off heading to the Dakotas, Canada or South.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 PM
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundrascout View Post
Ever been to northern Wi or MN especially in the winter?
The U.P. and BWCA will be filled by suburbanites from Minneapolis. Probably better off heading to the Dakotas, Canada or South.
The UP gets FIBs(****in Illinois bastards), a lot from WI, a lot from lower MI and surrounding areas. At least 10-20 get killed from drinking and driving or even shooting each other during deer season. I'd love to get out west, never been. I suggest everyone goes out west, the UP has nothing to offer haha.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 AM
grease monkey

Thanked 2,331 Times in 987 Posts

I have gotten in pretty deep here in Oregon. I wouldn't say it's unexplored, just that there is virtually no traffic, and no reason for people to be there unless they are hunting or extreme hiking. Our state has logged extensively. There are only a few places left that haven't been touched. If you take the BLM roads far enough, and then get out off the beaten path for a while, you can get remote enough to at least "feel" like you were the first human to ever see it. It is actually the lack of places like these that have me shopping for a new place to live. Alaska is first in the list. I always hear about how great and unspoiled the wilderness is up there. I like the cold, and hide inside all summer. Anyone as hairy as me can probably identify. I have a winter coat! In general definition, because of things like Google earth, there is really no such thing as "unexplored" any more. Maybe a few places deep in the Amazon.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:05 AM
GTFO 12'

Thanked 1,222 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
My wife and I both grew up in the heart of the U.P.. I love it up there and will return one day, hell I even got it tattooed on my stomach. There is much of it nobody has been thru and I did my best getting there. Its not out of the ordinary to see snow blowers up on roofs in the middle of summer, its just easier to leave them up there. Its wild country and I hope nobody ever goes up there. Please, dont go. Really.
Lt.Dan doesn't want new folks going up to the UP^^^..And we know why

People,Tennessee and Texas is crazy wild so NEVER EVER come here

Really it's far to dangerous.

Really.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IrishCope For This Useful Post: