Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-16-2010, 12:38 AM

Default Propane Powered VW Bus

Advertise Here

So im thinking of adding a modification to my engine, its a gas motor, I want to add the ability to run propane fuel in it, the e idea of the bus is to drive in to a location 20-40 miles away and park in the woods and live in the bus like a BOL. I want to have the option when I run out of gas to screw in a 1lb propane bottle, flip a switch and drive away. I also have a adapter so I could hook up bbq tanks that are all over the place, and would be easier to get my hands then gas if SHTF.

Just wanted your 2 Cents on the idea and suggestions I may have not thought of

My Survival Bus
Old 10-16-2010, 01:44 AM
Hiker

Location: On a clear day, you can almost see Colorado to the west..

Farmers have done it for years with their pickups.
I dont know that it would be that hard to do with any
other vehicle.
Advance warning, regular vehicle propane tanks are big and heavy
compared to your van anyway.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Hiker

You wouldn't drive very far on a 1 lb bottle. I used to have a dual fuel pickup. The propane fuel tank takes up quite a bit of room. In the van you would need to mount it in the back cargo area so you could access it to fill it and vent it while filling. I had a 34 gallon tank in my truck and it was about 3.5 ft. X 2.5 ft. X 1.5 ft and weight probably 100 pounds empty. I have never tried setting one up on an air cooled engine though. The vaporizer - regulator is connected to the coolant system through the heater hose and you don't have that on your VW. The vaporizer uses heat from your coolant to warm the propane to help it vaporize. On that type of system it would run for a little while but would soon freeze up without a way to warm it.

This is the type of system I had:
http://www.patooyee.com/propane/propane_2.htm
Old 11-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Target Shooter

You will kill your engine with propane.
Fuel is needed in this engine to cool down the third cylinder head. Propane does not provide this cooling ability. It does provide a very high octane rating but that won't help you avoiding the valve kill.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Target Shooter

Like the bus ,been looking for one of them .I have a yard full of VW dune/rail buggy stuff,including a ,,Real 1600 CC dual port motor that I am putting in a Nice rail frame I found (if I ever have time !! )
Old 11-09-2010, 12:11 AM

the bus is air cooled not fuel cooled LOL

propane can run these better and cleaner,

I just want to be able to run a couple miles it needed
Old 11-09-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivalDog56 View Post
Like the bus ,been looking for one of them .I have a yard full of VW dune/rail buggy stuff,including a ,,Real 1600 CC dual port motor that I am putting in a Nice rail frame I found (if I ever have time !! )
there getting hard to get this is number 4 for me, they have got expensive since my first one 10 years ago