Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-15-2010, 11:42 PM

Default Winchester model 77

Advertise Here

I recently acquired a Winchester model 77 (tube fed, not the clip version). Its in pretty nice condition however in badly need of a good cleaning and for the life of me I cannot find anything on it as far as to disassemble it, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to disassembling most firearms, however this one has me stumped. I did find out that this model w/tube fed vs the clip is pretty scarce, which doesn't help my situation. Anything info/help would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Expect No Mercy!

Overview
The Winchester Model 77 is a blowback-operated, self-loading rifle. This rifle loads .22 Long Rifle cartridges from an 8 round capacity, detachable box magazine located immediately forward of the trigger guard. A tube magazine version was also produced. The barrel is 22 inches long, round and tapered. The receiver is cut for Dovetail scope mounting.

[edit] Breakdown
Two screws in the trigger guard hold the receiver to the stock. With the front stock stud screw and the longer rear recoil block screw removed the barrel and receiver lift out of the stock.

Drift out the barrel locating pin to separate the barrel and receiver. After the barrel is removed, the bolt will slide forward enough to spread the operating slide assembly out and detach it from the bolt. The main spring and operating slide assembly are now loose. The bolt will now slide out of the receiver. The firing pin striker and firing pin striker spring will also come out of the receiver if the rifle was uncocked. If cocked, the firing pin striker and firing pin striker spring will be held in place in the receiver by the sear. The spring is under tension so the spring and striker will become a projectile if the trigger is pulled.

Drifting out the extractor pin in the bolt will release the extractor and extractor spring. It will also allow the firing pin and firing pin spring to slide out of the back of the bolt.

The timing spring is under tension and must be compressed before removing the timing rod retaining ring to release the timing rod collar and timing rod spring. The timing rod can now be removed from the bolt.

Timing rod retaining clip, collar, timing spring, timing rod, firing pin assembly, firing pin spring, block, extractor spring, extractor, extractor pin.Drifting out the ejector spring retaining pin from the firing pin will release the ejector spring and ejector.

Ejector spring retaining pin, ejector spring, ejector pin, firing pin, firing pin spring.[edit] History
217,000 units produced by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company beginning in 1955 and discontinued in 1963. Approximately 10% of the rifles were the 15 round tube fed variant
Old 10-16-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckidokie View Post
Drift out the barrel locating pin to separate the barrel and receiver.
That is where I'm stuck, theres a pin that looks to hold the two together but doesn't budge, so either its been awhile since this gun was cleaned or is wasn't meant to come out. I'll have to take another look at it in the morning. Very helpful though, once I get past that, appreciate it!.. must say.. first .22 I've come across with the spring for the bolt attached to the tube.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,039 Times in 857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuprometheus View Post
That is where I'm stuck, theres a pin that looks to hold the two together but doesn't budge, so either its been awhile since this gun was cleaned or is wasn't meant to come out. I'll have to take another look at it in the morning. Very helpful though, once I get past that, appreciate it!.. must say.. first .22 I've come across with the spring for the bolt attached to the tube.
Make sure you tap left to right. Some pins are tapered or have a flange.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:11 AM

After trying to get this apart for another hour or so, I gave up. Do appreciate the replies though. Getting ready to leave for a business trip this week and having some coffee this morning, I found a site that actually carries a manual for the Model 77 Tube fed Winchester so I ordered one, and just in case someone comes along with the same issue as me its www.galatiinternational.com and just search for Winchester Model 77. Thanks again to those who replied.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 AM

Hi,
i have the same rifle and the same problems.

could tou send me a copy of the manual ?

maybe a copy of it scaned.

I live in Canada and I can't find it here.
please check your PM
Old 03-11-2012, 10:42 AM

My dad gave me this rifle (tube fed) close to 30 years ago. compared to the 10/22, cleaning this thing and putting it all back together seems kinda like brain surgery. I clean the bore regularly but don't take everything apart every time. It has aparently been a while since I did it last because last night I went deep and found that it was a real mess. I am surprised, with the complexity of the action that it was still firing flawlessly (with CCI).

This thread is a few years old but I am interested to hear if you were all able to solve your problems with the removal of the pin. Mine came out quite easily by the way. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2012, 04:01 AM

Default Win model 77 will not fire

Maybe you guys can offer me some advice also. I too own a clip fed model 77. I owned it now for about 5 years without any problems. It is cleaned regularly. Just yesterday I took it out for some target shooting with my buddy who also owns a model 77.
I loaded it as I usually did but when it came time to fire there was only a 'click' and no fire... thinking it was the ammo I switched it and same thing happened 'click'. My first thought was the firing pin so I switched it with one my buddy just happened to have (he always makes sure he has at least one extra firing pin for each of his rifles.... lol). Put everything back together but still get the 'click' and no fire. None of the parts look damaged including the firing pin I switched out. Any thoughts? And a big thanks in advance....
Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 AM

It sounds to me like your problem may well be a broken firing pin. I know you say that you replaced the firing pin but are you certain that you replaced the firing pin or is it possible that you only replaced the firing pin striker? If what you replaced was a small rod that looks much like many firing pins, that was the firing pin striker. The firing pin itself is a short, hollow piece with a stub on the top front end that is the actual firing pin (the ejector is retained inside the firing pin). I own a tube fed Model 77 that I purchased new just a year after they came on the market and the only thing that's gone wrong with it to date is that the small forward projection of the ejector broke off a few years ago. Replacing that part required a full tear down of the rifle, something I'd done many times in the past but hadn't done for the past year or two, and it certainly reminded me of the very small size of both the firing pin and the ejector on this model. I suspect that breakage of one or the other of these parts will likely occur if one uses this rifle to any great extent, especially since these parts at this point in time are over 50 years old!! I like this little shooter so much that I went to Numrich and picked up a nearly complete set of replacement pins, springs and clips - the only thing they were out of was the firing pin spring - so that my son and grandson will be able to continue using it for many years to come.

sleeper1428
Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 AM

I found this forum link when I was in discovery of the same click, no fire.
I have the mag fed version I have inherited from my Pop. We shot this rifle when I was a kid.
I am in the beginning stages of "expert" at my gun club for the NRA rim fire qualifications. I have fired hundreds of rounds through this rifle and the second shot last Sunday just click.
I removed the drift pin and removed the bolt carrier assembly. Low and behold I pulled the trigger and luckily did not get hit with the firing pin actuating rod.
Whew this rifle is very well made and filthy.
I know my Dad never broke it down this far so I really stripped her down. Yep the extractor is there and all the springs and pins are in great shape. The firing pin is missing in action.
I found one on Midway. So when that gets here I will clean and oil her up.
Do you Winchester 77 owners oil everything or do you use grease here and there?
The over all condition is outstanding, I really appreciate the "pre 64" craftsmenship.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 PM
If I kill I eat it

Man I love all the info I get from this place truly wonderful info.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Default m77 ejector

I'm working with an M77 Magazine fed that is not ejecting the spent case properly after I fire it. I can manually rack it and it will eject and feed properly. I recently replaced the firing pin, and had to transfer the ejector pin spring and retainer pin. I see some wear on the extractor jaw but not sure if that is the problem, only because it works fine manually. I wonder if the Firing pin needed to be filed down to a proper height . Does anyone have any measurements for this pin?