Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Thirteenther

Thanked 37,424 Times in 9,239 Posts
Default How readily does wheat cross-pollenate and hybridize?

Advertise Here

How readily does wheat cross-pollenate and hybridize? I ask because I just bought several varieties of heirloom wheat, and need to know how far apart they need to be planted in order to insure that they do not hybridize.

Also, I am planting rye, oats, and barley. I know that wheat and rye can cross-pollenate (hence triticale), so how far apart do they need to be planted to prevent hybridization? Can any other grains hybridize outside their species?

I am doing small test plots of grains to see which grow best here.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Thirteenther

Beuller? Beuller? Beuller?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Diver

I see you didn't get much of a response...so I'll toss out what I know. Your wheat can be pollinated by plants other than your own plants only if there is a source and a means to transport the pollin. If you are planting your wheat in an area where there are few or no other farmers you won't have much problem. The other consideration is that your plants will be providing the pollen at the right time at the right place with little need for transport other than the wind. The more wheat that you plant , the odds are greater that your own plants will do the pollination. Even if you do get some cross pollination it would be a small amount. If you plant a similar variety of wheat at a different time then your neighbor plants then the period when the plants can be pollinated may not be the same. This can reduce the chance of cross pollination. Hope this helps.

Bottom line is if you plant a large field of wheat next to hybrid wheat or to a rye crop you will probably get some plants that produce hybrids. It doesn't matter really. If your more than a mile or so away from other fields it probably isn't significant.

Take your seed wheat from as far away from the other fields as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwcoastal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 PM
old hand

Thanked 6,230 Times in 2,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcoastal View Post
Your wheat can be pollinated by plants other than your own plants only if there is a source and a means to transport the pollin.
This is true ... and I would add that most of the pollenation happens minutes after the time/conditions are right, and in a self pollenating plant (like wheat) it is difficult to cross pollenate varieties.

While it is possible, it is highly improbable.
The Following User Says Thank You to ex-hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Thirteenther

Thanks. I am doing small test-plots, but I only got two winter wheats (planting today). I am more concerned with the 9 varieties of spring wheat that I will be trying in the spring. How far apart should I plant them?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Hiker

Separated by 200 feet you will see very little cross pollination. Tests done by Colorado State University showed cross pollination levels at 1 tenth of one percent or 1 seed in every 10, 000 when there was 200 feet separating different varieties.

Rye matures later than wheat so you should not have a problem with it cross pollinating with your wheat.