Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,627 Times in 6,688 Posts
Default WASR-10 AK47 for SHTF survival situation

Advertise Here

The WASR-10 AK-47 is a Romanian variant of the Russian AK-47 rifle. The rifles uses a receiver made in the USA, unlike the SAR series that use a Romanian made receiver.

The equivalents with Russian models are:
* AKM: WASR-10 (7.62×39)
* AK-74: WASR-2 (5.45×39)
* AK-101: WASR-3 (5.56×45)

WASR-10 Specs:
Overall Length: 35 inches – including muzzle break
Barrel: 16 inches – including muzzle break
Stock: Wood
Pistol grip: Plastic
Caliber: 7.62X39

The WASR-10 rifles are made with stamped receivers and were originally intended for single-stack magazines. After the so called “assualt rifle ban” expired, the receivers were milled to accept a double stack, high capacity magazine. WASR-10 rifles feature a chrome-lined barrel and wooden stocks. The WASR-10 rifles are imported by Century Arms Intl. It is at the Century Arms Intl. factory where they widen the magazine wells and install Tapco-compliant parts.

From a survivalist point of view, the AK-47 and its 7.62X39 is well rounded for hunting deer sized game and for urban survival. Th rifles are cheap – but continue to creep up in price, the magazines are cheap, and the ammo is cheap. Overall, there is nothing not to love about the WASR-10 AK-47, except maybe the quality of the workmanship.

There are numerous complaints of magazine wobble and a canted front sight (front sight leaning to one side). Sometimes you get what you pay for in life, and the WASR-10 might be considered a cheap rifle. If you want better quality, go ahead and spend the money and get a real Russian AK-47.

On the magazine wobble – some magazines fit better then others. May “made in China” AK-47 magazines have a little bit of wobble in them, while the Bulgarian AK-47 magazines seem to fit just fine.

From the Speer reloading manual #11:
7.62X39 – 110 grain bullet travels 2,000fps – 2,200fps out of an 18.5 inch barrel
30-30 – 130 grain bullet travels 2,000fps – 2,400fps out of a 20 inch barrel
308 Winchester – 130 grain bullet travels 2,000fps – 3,300fps out of a 22 inch barrel

Some people consider the 7.62X39 a 30-30 short. And from the bullet size and velocity, this seems to be pretty close to being true.

*Velocities vary depending on charge, primer, and other various conditions

When I bought my WASR-10, I paid about $399 + tax, which brought the total to somewhere around $425. Thinking back, I kick myself for not buying a case of Russian made AK-47s in the 1980s, when they were $75 each. But who knew that a $75 rifle would turn into a $750 rifle 20 years later. I remember being at a Port Arthur, Texas gun back around 1984 or1985, and brand new Russian made AK-47s were priced at $75 – $99, and people were just passing them by. If I remember right, the regualr model with a full stock was $75; and the para-trooper model with a folding stock was around $99. I wish I would have bought 6 of them back them.

Some of the things I like the WASR-10 – its a rugged rifle, and since it did not cost a “lot” of money, I dont mind if it gets scratched up a little bit. This is the kind of weapon that can be strapped to the front a 4-wheeler, stored behind the seat or in the trunk of a car, stored in a bug out location / remote camp, and the magazines are cheap. I remember going to one of the Houston, Texas gun shows and getting AK magazines for $3 each – that is 5 magazines for $15. That makes it easy to stock up on enough AK mags for your home and your bug out location.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.

Last edited by kev; 06-08-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,845 Times in 783 Posts

Good video Kev. Thx

-Per.

-Edmund Burke

Canadian Survivalistsp
Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 PM

At least on this video vs. the one with your beretta you removed the mag before clearing it.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Forum Administrator

So you like this one better?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Hooligan on Holiday

Thanked 4,119 Times in 1,453 Posts

Good clip Kev, pointing out the sights and mag slop in very informative for anyone in the market for AK variants.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 PM

Well except for looking down the barrel, granted you cleared it, it was a little better. It just seems a video about gun tips is sort of a waste of time. Easily summed up by telling them it depends on personal preference and how thick their cash wad is. Now I'm willing to bet someone that needs the tips your provided in this video about a canted sight can't shoot enough to need to adjust it. You were mixing basic tips with slightly hightened knowledge of the weapon platform. It might confuse people.

The first thing anyone on here contemplating buying a weapon needs to learn is how to safely handle one. So maybe they should get a Crosman BB gun first or an plastic airsoft gun. That way they can learn safety then work their way up. Efficiency with a weapon isn't something that comes naturally and it's a perishable skill so once you become proficient you need to keep it up.

You might mean well but think about how your video may look to a completely uneducated person about firearms. Or in the case many of the glocktalk guys like me that invaded this site tonight. Think how this video looks to people that have had class upon class, or someone that is even an instructor. It'd be like me giving instruction on how to safely move a 20ton steel beam with a crane. I may think I know how to do it, but somoene who actually does will most likely call me out like what happened today.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Forum Administrator

This is the kind of feed back that I need on my videos. These videos are not scripted, not rehearsed.

You are right, I need to take more time, set a good example and work out some kind of script.

The viewer can rewind the video, I can not rewind real life if I make a mistake in something I say or do..
Old 07-26-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Nice

Very helpful video.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Getting there....

This is much better than the first video about the WASR/Kalashnikov. Personally, it's a good shopper's guide if you include the negatives (sight cant, magazine well issues, etc.) along with the positives (reliability, cost) to inform the viewer so they may make an informed choice.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinvictus View Post
This is much better than the first video about the WASR/Kalashnikov. Personally, it's a good shopper's guide if you include the negatives (sight cant, magazine well issues, etc.) along with the positives (reliability, cost) to inform the viewer so they may make an informed choice.
Thank you, and I really did not like the quality of the first video. There were a bunch of us up at the camp shooting, when I said why not do some videos. That was my first attempt. This one came out a lot better.

I wish I had a couple of different brands of AK's so I could do a side by side comparison.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Getting there....

Well, unfortunately on the new market, the Romanians are the last Kalashnikovs standing. Bulgarians and VEPR's are both approaching $700-900 range and we've no more Norinco, PolyTech, or MAADI to purchase. Saiga is made by Izmash, but I've heard they have issues with hi-cap magazines. It's a shame.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Forum Administrator

On the maadi - I see a few on gunbroker every now and then. When they do hit gunbroker, I am seeing around 450 - 500 for them.

The choices I am seeing is a romy for 400 or what ever else the gun store has for 800+.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,350 Times in 3,145 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

enjoyed the vidio...........
Old 07-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Getting there....

Default Maadi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
On the maadi - I see a few on gunbroker every now and then. When they do hit gunbroker, I am seeing around 450 - 500 for them.

The choices I am seeing is a romy for 400 or what ever else the gun store has for 800+.
And I remember when MAADI or Norinco could be had for less than $200.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Film Maker, Video Editor

Default Great Article on the WASR 10 ran through harsh conditions

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...nt.html?cat=38

I am planning on buying one tomorrow
Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,498 Posts

Seriously! You drug up a four year old thread!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,139 Times in 4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Reverend View Post
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...nt.html?cat=38

I am planning on buying one tomorrow
If you aren't in the know, it would be a good idea to learn about and look for some of the more common problems associated with Century Arms WASR rifles.

The two biggest are canted front sight or gas block and excessive magazine wobble. They can be fixed though.

I have one it's a decent shooter. IMO the Saiga is better choice.

Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Trapper

Nice video. I have the same AK47 and it has a canted sight and still shoots dead on. I really like this rifle.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Film Maker, Video Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_guy View Post
Seriously! You drug up a four year old thread!
Sorry, didnt realize it.

I was googling for the WASR -10 and this video and thread popped up so I assumed it was recent. I am not one who has a habit of necroposting so I will apologize for doing so. Yet on another hand though perhaps next time you should report my posting if it is violation and leave the job of reprimanding people to the mods/admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
If you aren't in the know, it would be a good idea to learn about and look for some of the more common problems associated with Century Arms WASR rifles.

The two biggest are canted front sight or gas block and excessive magazine wobble. They can be fixed though.

I have one it's a decent shooter. IMO the Saiga is better choice.

Good Luck
Thank you for the very informative and respectful post, that is what makes a forum. It is people like who share their knowledge and resources that make the difference in it all. I researched the issues on them, yet still bought it, I hear that you can get better fitting magazines to eliminate the wobble and the front can be adjusted, I plan to change the stocks and mod it abit. I believe after I finish I will buy a SKS and the Sagia one as well. You cannot have too many guns
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Reverend For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Prepared

Kev stupid question from a ak newb, but in y our first sentence you say that the recievers are made in the usa, then later on you say that there imported by CIA and then have tapco compliance parts installed on them. Does that mean they import a bunch of parts kits and then mate them to use made reciever?
The Following User Says Thank You to kframe For This Useful Post: