Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Target Shooter

Default Good Deals At Gun Shows?

Advertise Here

I'm preparing to purchase my first pistol in the next few days and I'm curious to see where I get the best deal. There is a gun show in Nashville this weekend and I'm considering going there. In particular I'm looking to purchase a Taurus Tracker .357 but local shops have it for about $499 and online I've seen it for $430.

Am I wasting my time by going to the gun show?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,566 Times in 2,805 Posts

if they are like the ones in my area it isnt worth the $6 to get in you some times can get good deals there and in pawn shops.the best deals i think is to keep watching on line like at http://www.gunbroker.com/ if you arnt in a major hurry to get it you can monitor this and one will pop up with a good deal but when u see one that is a good deal buy it now dont nickel and dime it or you will lose it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 AM
This is a great survival forum

Yeah, we have one this weekend too, was thinking about getting a 22 rifle...
Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 AM
VIP Member

Gun shows can be a sweet-and-sour kind of a deal for sure ... you really have to know what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay ... if it's "the cheapest price" that you are set on getting, because it won't always be at a gun show for sure.

I personally look for "pricing trends" of vendors ... some are just plain high-priced on everything ... some are more reasonable on everything. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that, for a new gun, I go to my local guy because I have confidence in his pricing trend, based on comparisons done at other places and at gun shows. Even if my local doesn't have the lowest price on the planet, I know that he is somewhere in the ballpark, and I like the support that I get from my local guy vs. somebody that just blew into town for a weekend gun show.

I do buy stuff at shows, but most of the time it's used stuff or hard-to-find stuff, ammo cans and things like that. I'm certainly not a gun show expert and I have gotten some things that I got a good deal on, and gotten some things that I later found out was not such a good deal.

Regardless, whether or not I end up buying something at a show, I almost always go when there is one ... if nothing else, I always learn something.

Sounds like you have done your research on a gun that you have your heart set on ... whether or not you will find it at a show for the same as you have found it online ... my guess would be prolly not ... but you may find it a few bucks cheaper than a local store.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,206 Times in 580 Posts

I have not bought any guns from gun shows--my experience is that the prices are essentially the same or higher as stores in my area.

For new guns, I buy from davidson's "gallery of guns", which lists new gun prices and availability at all of the shops in my area. I've found a shop that consistently lists guns at Davidson's for a 10% markup over wholesale (while others markup for 12-20%) and this is the gun store that gets almost all of my new gun business. Used guns I buy at a variety of local shops--again I find the gun show prices too high or the same as the local shop (and I want to support the local shops as much as possible).

HippieSurvivalist
Old 05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

Generally speaking Gun Shows are slightly cheaper than most brick&mortar stores when buying a new made gun. On used stuff is where you must know your stuff. Used guns are higher than they should be. At shows they can be insane. Classic desirable stuff can be down right assinine.
You need to know a few things before you walk in the door.
1.) Know EXACTLY what type of firearm you want. Know prices of the item ahead of time(internet, shops, want ads, etc).
2.) Determine how much you will spend. DO NOT go past it. Know when to walk away.
3.) Have cash IN HAND. Haggle with the seller. Wave your cash. Let them know you are serious about buying. Rarely do i pay full sticker price for something.
4.) Watch other show attendees. These folks often times have something decent for sale.
6.) If you don't score a bargain don't fret. Another show will happen and you can try again.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Recent Blog:
Trapper

sometimes at gunshows you will go there looking for something in particular and buy something cheaper or find a good deal on what you want so it's up to you to look around and hopefully not get ripped off
Old 05-15-2008, 04:25 PM
I hear the bagpipes

I've seen where if you shop the gun show well, and you and you can price the gun at several different tables, you can play one off the other on a very limited basis. That is, of it's going for $500 at table 1,2,3 and 4, you can state that to table 5, and probably get a good discount, but when the lower offer is made, be prepared to either accept it right away, or thank them and leave because it is still too high. I recently saw a Para Ordnance Carry 9 go for $50 less than other tables were selling for, and ultimately around $175 less than list price, using that method.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:01 PM

The last gun show I went too, I was looking for a SKS or a AK-47.
I found the only guy who had an sks....Yugo sks.....
Looked at the price tag...350 dollars....
I looked at him and smiled.....then walked away.
I almost crapped my pants, But laughed out loud at the same time.
But I ended up buying my wasr-3 for 360
it jammed every round.....
Sent it back the century....they fixed it and sent it back.
Shoots great now.

But from what I have seen the last 2 years or so....gun shows are high priced.
the last good deal I got at a gun show was my glock 22 brand new two mags....for 450
Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 AM

The gun shows in Kansas City are pretty much worthless in the guns and ammo department. It's like they stop at Cabela's and price match before they setup. I don't even shop for guns at the things. I go mainly for accessories, parts, and reloading supplies. There are a couple of vendors that always have what I need and I don't have to order it over the internet. Saves me money on shipping and get discounts from them since I buy from the same vendors.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,466 Posts

There is a gun show here this weekend. I plan on going...the reason is I'm still in the hunt for an AK and most of the dealers that carry Ak's are not local but usually set up a table at the shows.
There are some yugo AK's with the underfolding stocks showing up and I'd like to check them out. Other than that I usually look for odds and ends...Picked up a scope ring lapping setup for 15 buck at the gun show.
Peter
Old 05-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Cranky old man

I've done pretty well at gun shows purchasing ammo, but that's about it. I've only attended gun shows in NH and ME, and from what I've seen, they're pretty lame. It seems to me that they've become gun-oriented flea markets. Typically there will be a handful of serious gun sellers, but they're lost in a swarm of people selling collectibles, militaria, antique guns, etc. And as somebody mentioned in a previous post, the asking prices are bogus - be prepared to haggle if you do see something good. In my experience, better deals can be found on the net.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,466 Posts

Well just got back from the gunshow, they were running the YUGO AK 47 underfolder with a spare mag for a flat 600.00 plus tax...I'll have to think about that one...
The only YUGO AK's I could find that were reasonably inexpensive, 350.00 to 400.00, were trashed and had dark bores...
There was a bunch of AK's built on American recievers to be found, they were running 475.00 and up. I got a chance to look at one of the american receiver blanks... For some reason I thought the sheet metal would be thicker, it looked awfully thin to me...
I had a great time, dropped about a hundred bucks and came up with some really sweet deals on reloading components.
Peter
Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Certifiable

Sorry I did not read this sooner. I am in Knoxville. I like the advice about looking at Gunbroker.com. There is an outfit called "Gunny's" at the Nashville shows that is about 200 miles out. They are good people and will treat you right. There are always good and bad dealers at the shows now a days. Some treat you fair and some wait for someone who does not know how much they should be spending.

Have fun and don't buy a gun if you are not sure of the price.

Semper-Fi.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 4,848 Times in 1,545 Posts

Number 1 gunshows are just plain fun. I have set up at probably 200 plus shows all over the northwest. Almost all my guns come from there. Don't be scared to haggle. If you are looking for a particular gun with certain features and won't settle for something else you will probably be disappointed, but if you are a little flexible you can usaully find a gun to fit you at a good price.
PS I love gunshows.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:00 PM
older than dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by longman View Post
I have pretty much come to the conclusion that, for a new gun, I go to my local guy because I have confidence in his pricing trend, based on comparisons done at other places and at gun shows. Even if my local doesn't have the lowest price on the planet, I know that he is somewhere in the ballpark, and I like the support that I get from my local guy vs. somebody that just blew into town for a weekend gun show.
Yep! If you have a good local FFL who treats you right, it's worth paying a few dollars more to keep him in business.