Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I love this forum

Default Does anyone carry a .308 or 5.56? Why? Which go to rifle?

Advertise Here

I own and have owned many rifles. I am still trying to narrow down a rifle that will give me an advantage. I want to pound it at the range and master it. I want to learn how to detail strip and change parts. I want to know the rifle as well as myself.

I must run a suppressor on it. It must have the ability to shoot long range.

I am looking for a rifle that
1. Shoots the first time every time RELIABILITY (ability to run dirty and dry). I agree the rifle needs to be cleaned but sometimes it cant. Droping your in whatever durring a fire fight is not a good time to find out you need to clean it.

Gives me an advantage over someone with equal training and a lesser rifle

The m4 is light and accuret but I feel that it is not the design for a SHTF situation that I want. I might be out in the field for a long time with limited supplies.

I dont like the FAL b.c IMHO its not as accuret as an M1A and the reliability differences are minor. If im going to hump a .308 it better be a full sized accuret version.

Would the results have been the same with a semi auto test of rifles?

My area of operation is the woods and urban areas.

As I said before I think the M4 is a good weapon for a military unit that is well supplied. I am not a military unit and I wont be well supplied. For reasons listed in this article the m4 is out.
http://www.madogre.com/interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

I love the Ak47 and its reliability might cause me to pick it. My issue is that its really hard to put optics on it. The rainbow trajectory leaves something to be desired. Suppressing them is also kind of a joke. This is another rifle that seems good for a large unit. I am more so looking for a weapon with some range that can keep me and 2-3 other guys away from a threat.

Im down to thinking that the M14 will get suppressed and be my go to rifle. My only issue is that it is hard to do building entrys with durring the event of SHTF I might need to find supplies and food as well as assist in rescue efforts. I need something that can be used well in a dirty urban enviornment. Will a guy with an AK or AR have an advantage with sheer ammount of rounds or will I have an advantage with a more powerful and accuret rifle?

My other large weapons system is the Sig 556. It gives me the AK reliability with m4 optics/ suppression/ mid range ability and takes light weight ammo. I love ACOGs and these seem to take the m4 acog just fine. Will a sig 556 or m1a give me an advantage in a fire fight and why?

If it helps I carry a Glock 21 and 1911 in .45 acp. I cant carry as much ammo as a guy with a 9mm but who cares. Thats why I am thinking I should also carry a 308 with less rounds.
What do you use?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
I guess im a troll then... I have a valid question that has very subjective and confusing statistics... I have done my research hence the fact that I narrowed my choices to an M1A and Sig 556...
Neither of these are the weapon of choice for the Kodiak lookin' bear in Florida. You need a Rocket Propelled Grenade Launcher. Yes sir. And with this seasons crop of Griz and Polar bear due for migration through your apartment complex, I'd look at picking up about a dozen or so. Good investment, good for getting the message "no' across to persistent religious groups and driveway repair salesmen.

It might be hard hiding them at that boarding school the folks stuck you in, but where theres a will theres a way....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elroy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Don't eat bowls of stupid

Thanked 4,730 Times in 2,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
I own and have owned many rifles. I am still trying to narrow down a rifle that will give me an advantage. I want to pound it at the range and master it. I want to learn how to detail strip and change parts. I want to know the rifle as well as myself.

I must run a suppressor on it. It must have the ability to shoot long range.

I am looking for a rifle that
1. Shoots the first time every time RELIABILITY (ability to run dirty and dry). I agree the rifle needs to be cleaned but sometimes it cant. Droping your in whatever durring a fire fight is not a good time to find out you need to clean it.

Gives me an advantage over someone with equal training and a lesser rifle

The m4 is light and accuret but I feel that it is not the design for a SHTF situation that I want. I might be out in the field for a long time with limited supplies.

I dont like the FAL b.c IMHO its not as accuret as an M1A and the reliability differences are minor. If im going to hump a .308 it better be a full sized accuret version.

YouTube - Compare M14 With M16

Would the results have been the same with a semi auto test of rifles?

My area of operation is the woods and urban areas.

As I said before I think the M4 is a good weapon for a military unit that is well supplied. I am not a military unit and I wont be well supplied. For reasons listed in this article the m4 is out.
http://www.madogre.com/interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

I love the Ak47 and its reliability might cause me to pick it. My issue is that its really hard to put optics on it. The rainbow trajectory leaves something to be desired. Suppressing them is also kind of a joke. This is another rifle that seems good for a large unit. I am more so looking for a weapon with some range that can keep me and 2-3 other guys away from a threat.

Im down to thinking that the M14 will get suppressed and be my go to rifle. My only issue is that it is hard to do building entrys with durring the event of SHTF I might need to find supplies and food as well as assist in rescue efforts. I need something that can be used well in a dirty urban enviornment. Will a guy with an AK or AR have an advantage with sheer ammount of rounds or will I have an advantage with a more powerful and accuret rifle?

My other large weapons system is the Sig 556. It gives me the AK reliability with m4 optics/ suppression/ mid range ability and takes light weight ammo. I love ACOGs and these seem to take the m4 acog just fine. Will a sig 556 or m1a give me an advantage in a fire fight and why?

If it helps I carry a Glock 21 and 1911 in .45 acp. I cant carry as much ammo as a guy with a 9mm but who cares. Thats why I am thinking I should also carry a 308 with less rounds.
What do you use?
AR15 and/or M4 for me. I go with what I know as anyone else should do likewise.
The Following User Says Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Gettin There

I was browing M1A/M14 webgear when I came across this. 2 years and it still isn't figured out yet.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/401...bat-ready.html

I can't say for sure it's the same person, but I would take bets.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DanR7985 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 AM

It's always funny to see these "what should I get" posts. It's very simple. There isn't a perfect weapon period. It all depends on where you live and where you will be defending when our system comes crashing down.

The bottom line is you can take a POS gun, master it and it's quirks, and out shoot the best marksman with it. It's about just picking one and then becoming a marksman.

Every gun can kill in the hands of a marksman. So the name of the game isn't what toy to buy, it's to become a surgeon with it. Then you would have solved the problem.

We had a couple M21 (accurized M14) rifles in the military and out of 22 guys we had a few that couldn't hit water from a boat and some who could break a 9" balloon filled with chalk from 1000 yards. The same gun. You can rest assured that the ones that broke the balloon would advocate for the gun and the others wouldn't.

It's that simple.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to medinaEOD For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Hooligan on Holiday

Thanked 4,135 Times in 1,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXPACK View Post
NO, no, no, no, no, no, noooooo.......... What you need is a canned .22 and an assault wheelbarrow!!!

To the rest of the members here............ How in the hell did gunkid find his way here?!?!? I thought he was still in prison.....

Seriously folks, the best way to get rid of this troll is to ignore it. This will be my absolute last post in any one of it's threads because it's going into my ignore list.

III ~ Peaceful, but prepared.

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L. -

I sure miss ole Melvin Davis and his entertaing mindset/posts,......he is the KING of trolls!
The Following User Says Thank You to Reed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Super Saiyan Survivalist

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,490 Posts

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BumblingBear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Opinionated old Vet.

The best gun is what you have with you when the SHTF hits.

I have a Ruger SR-556 and 3 bolt actions in 308, 30-06 & 7mm Mag also several pistols and shotguns. The one I will grab will be what kind of scenario comes down the on us.

Nobody has the experience to predict what lies ahead you will deal with the situation as it happens.

I would love to have some of the fancy hardware the military has, BUT it might not be the right stuff for the situation.

Get a gun or 2 and become proficient with it!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Sell crazy someplace else

Thanked 1,553 Times in 841 Posts

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to crazy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Emperor In Exile

Thanked 14,800 Times in 6,715 Posts

Can i shoot 5.56 outta my .308? If my .308 jams can i spread it on toast? toasty days here might bring the bears out. can i kill a polar bear with toast? I have thousands of guns and can't shoot any of them so which ones should i keep? if i keep one and shoot it once a year does that make me a sniper? if i add a suppressor does that make me a SEAL? Will mommy ever let me out of the basement? HEY TEACHERS LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE.. If i shoot a grizzly bear in the privates will it stop or just get really mad? PRIVATE EYES ARE WATCHING YOU.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to robkenpo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,637 Times in 2,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkenpo View Post
Can i shoot 5.56 outta my .308? If my .308 jams can i spread it on toast? toasty days here might bring the bears out. can i kill a polar bear with toast? I have thousands of guns and can't shoot any of them so which ones should i keep? if i keep one and shoot it once a year does that make me a sniper? if i add a suppressor does that make me a SEAL? Will mommy ever let me out of the basement? HEY TEACHERS LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE.. If i shoot a grizzly bear in the privates will it stop or just get really mad? PRIVATE EYES ARE WATCHING YOU.
florida i see you there, is that you? are you there? do i pwn? what am i? is this annoying?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matt18920 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Emperor In Exile

I absolutely hate to say it BUT THIS GUY MAKES ME MISS BIKER DRUID!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robkenpo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Sell crazy someplace else

Thanked 1,553 Times in 841 Posts

BD is gone?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 PM
المتخلفين قوات

Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,058 Posts

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Heckler&Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Emperor In Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
BD is gone?
For quite some time now, I still have not figured out this whole ban thing so I do not know if it is perm or temp.....
Old 10-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,637 Times in 2,471 Posts

Quote:
i find this guy mildly amusing really, i need somebody to lay in to every once and a while.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,403 Times in 33,041 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
At least with Biker Druid, if you didn't like what he was saying (which was most of it) you could just scroll past it. But when FS goes on one of his epic posting orgies, page 1 is about 90% FS posts and you have to go scrolling through pages to find the other threads.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 8,544 Times in 3,363 Posts

"I own and have owned many rifles. I am still trying to narrow down a rifle that will give me an advantage. I want to pound it at the range and master it. I want to learn how to detail strip and change parts. I want to know the rifle as well as myself."

Isn't that from Full Metal Jacket or something?

Yeah, we lose BD and gain this? Hardly fair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawkbern For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Ooh, pancakes!

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,737 Posts

I saw a gun once.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMorden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,403 Times in 33,041 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbern View Post
"I own and have owned many rifles. I am still trying to narrow down a rifle that will give me an advantage. I want to pound it at the range and master it. I want to learn how to detail strip and change parts. I want to know the rifle as well as myself."

Isn't that from Full Metal Jacket or something?

Yeah, we lose BD and gain this? Hardly fair.
I wonder if we can trade back? Heck, I'd take 2 BD's to get rid of 1 FS.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread