Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 10-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Space Cadet

Default SG Works SKS Bullpup conversion

Advertise Here

Just heard about this and it looks like a quality item and only $159. It reduces a 40" rifle to a handy and better balanced 30" and you still have a 20" barrel. Good stuff!

Some good videos of function using either stripper clips or an AK mag conversion.
And a girl breaking down a regular SKS and installing the SG Works bullpup conversion. Well there is a second Youtube video of a guy doing it...

http://sgworks.com/
Old 10-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Space Cadet

I should have inserted a picture of the bullpup earlier...

The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 PM
المتخلفين قوات

Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,058 Posts

So how's the trigger pull? Is the trigger reliable? Is that a pin-on brake? How's that holding up? Interesting set up for sure.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,570 Times in 3,265 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

on the subject of bullpup stocks for the SKS or whatever these guys seem to have it going on in a trog sort of way.
http://cbrps.com/Products.html
Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,498 Posts

That looks pretty cool. Kinda makes me wish I still had my SKS.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Coke View Post
So how's the trigger pull? Is the trigger reliable? Is that a pin-on brake? How's that holding up? Interesting set up for sure.
Sorry, I don't have one... just saw this on youtube and the above link. Second hand, the reports are that the trigger is about the same as a standard SKS.

Here's a bunch of links with the last one of the competing CBRPS bullpup that costs twice as much and offers less:

SGW SKS Rifle Bullpup Stock Kit Conversion
SGW SKS Bullpup AZ desert test
SGW Arizona Shoot Montage
installed on a Yugo 59/66
Installation by girl, pt 1
Installation by girl, pt 2
SGW bull pup assembly, p1
SGW bull pup assembly, p2
SGW bull pup assembly, p3
SGW bull pup firing (p4)
SGW accuracy
CBRPS SKS Bullpup Conversion Review $330
Old 10-05-2010, 12:26 AM

The last thing I want is my check that close to the bolt. Heat concern #1. Concern #2 brass flying right in front of me.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Super Saiyan Survivalist

Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,490 Posts

I am seriously considering getting an SKS and a bullpup stock now instead of a conversion (when it comes out) for my MSAR to 7.62.

The first stock posted even looks like a Steyr Aug.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,695 Times in 32,466 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

I've had the chance to handle and fire these. The system works and works well, unlike most bullpup conversion kits. I'm going to be converting one of my own when finances improve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,421 Times in 4,196 Posts

In all seriousness and with complete honesty, and in the most respectful way possible,

I'm confused as to how anyone can look at those videos and think that thing looks like an improvement to the SKS. I don't understand it.

In the last video the guy in the Punisher T-shirt has to manually move the trigger forward after every shot and is still heaping praise on his new blaster
Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 PM

I,ve said it else where any one that trys to dress up an SKS is a poser child for Mall ninjas. All your doing is adding a malfunction with the cash that could have gone down on an AK.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 PM

poster child
Old 10-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,695 Times in 32,466 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
In all seriousness and with complete honesty, and in the most respectful way possible,

I'm confused as to how anyone can look at those videos and think that thing looks like an improvement to the SKS. I don't understand it.

In the last video the guy in the Punisher T-shirt has to manually move the trigger forward after every shot and is still heaping praise on his new blaster
It's not an improvement per se. It doesn't make it any more accurate or reliable. It does make it shorter without costing valuable barrel length like today's short barrel fad does.

But properly installed, the gun is handy, points naturally and works reliably. I have a friend who builds bullpups as a hobby and has done several SKS bullpups so far. But then again I've always been a fan of the bullpup concept. It sure beats the fad for shorter barrels.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 7,744 Times in 2,366 Posts

I personally saw one of these bullpups setups at a gunshow some months ago... and to tell you the truth--it sucks $hite! The coverings look sloppy and ill fitting and this system does not seem well engineered. The weapon seemed a tad heavier that a normal SKS also.

You cannot fire an SKS left handed because the bolt knob will tear a hole in your face if you try. I think someone will succumb to this while doing some mall-ninja training one day and there will be a big lawsuit.

The concept of an SKS bullpup is a good idea though and it can be achieved. First you have modify the bolt knob--remove it completely and make a top mounted knob similar to a Thompson knob... this will save lots of plastic surgery. Second you need to have these high-tech covering made out of some high-tech materials, like carbon fiber to cut down on the weight. And third, like this system employs--it needs a whole new sighting system similar to the rail system used on the M4 AR platforms.

Also to continue to load the SKS with stripper clips is stupid, and this bullpup system does not speed the loading process at all. What a bullpup system needs to employ is a mag adapter system like the Marcus Mag Adapter system.

Actually if you are going to modify your SKS, this is all that you need--this and possibly to upgrade your furniture to a fiberglass jungle stock. This is the perfect SKS modernization in my opinion. Or if you are going to go to all the trouble of making a high-tech bullpup stock, also go to the trouble of engineering a better detachable mag than a modified Tapco magazine. Use the Marcus adaptor, and then bring in a equally good magazine like the ones that US Palms makes for the AK.

So don't bother with this bullpup--it is not worth your time or money.
Not yet that is.

ST
Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,277 Times in 4,908 Posts

I like it but I an a lefty, I need the receiver in front to avoid getting hit in the head with hot brass. Their website says they are "working on a deflector for lefties" I will be interested to see what htey come up with. I have an old Tapco folding stock on it now so it is short when it needs to be. It is not the best stock but it works....You can't really use it to break a fall into the prone position other than that it works.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,277 Times in 4,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKEZO View Post
I personally saw one of these bullpups setups at a gunshow some months ago... and to tell you the truth--it sucks $hite! The coverings look sloppy and ill fitting and this system does not seem well engineered. The weapon seemed a tad heavier that a normal SKS also.

You cannot fire an SKS left handed because the bolt knob will tear a hole in your face if you try. I think someone will succumb to this while doing some mall-ninja training one day and there will be a big lawsuit.

The concept of an SKS bullpup is a good idea though and it can be achieved. First you have modify the bolt knob--remove it completely and make a top mounted knob similar to a Thompson knob... this will save lots of plastic surgery. Second you need to have these high-tech covering made out of some high-tech materials, like carbon fiber to cut down on the weight. And third, like this system employs--it needs a whole new sighting system similar to the rail system used on the M4 AR platforms.

Also to continue to load the SKS with stripper clips is stupid, and this bullpup system does not speed the loading process at all. What a bullpup system needs to employ is a mag adapter system like the Marcus Mag Adapter system.

Actually if you are going to modify your SKS, this is all that you need--this and possibly to upgrade your furniture to a fiberglass jungle stock. This is the perfect SKS modernization in my opinion. Or if you are going to go to all the trouble of making a high-tech bullpup stock, also go to the trouble of engineering a better detachable mag than a modified Tapco magazine. Use the Marcus adaptor, and then bring in a equally good magazine like the ones that US Palms makes for the AK.

So don't bother with this bullpup--it is not worth your time or money.
Not yet that is.

ST
The website says it can be bought to use AK mags. I was under the impression this was using a standard SKS that normally has a 10 round stripper clip. Did I read something wrong here or did they mean to say it also fits on the model that is already made to use AK mags?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 PM

Deflector for lefties!!??
The SKS ejects straight up!

What you have to worry about it the bolt knob chewing up your face with this design.

ST
Old 10-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Super Saiyan Survivalist

Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry View Post

As long as the conversion doe not make the trigger any worse, it is an improvement in my book.

Bullpup = awesome.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:12 PM

To answer Lone Stars question above... I think this will also work on the SKS M and D models. But swapping out mags would be a hard thing to do. You have to rock them forward and click them in. Please note how close the front of a mag is to the pistol grip--in the photos above they are using a Tapco mag with is close in size to a metal AK mag. The pistol grip need to be moved forward at least 1 inch to make mag change outs easier.

Look--I saw this up close and in person... It looks as sloppy as my cat's crap.

Nice idea, but no cigar yet.
They need to go back to the drawing board.

ST
Old 10-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,911 Times in 10,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

I don't prefer bullpups in general. They look cool, and have seen good service, but with me its a weight distribution issue. I'm not used to most of the weight being behind my primary hand.

I tried out an AK bullpup at the store once and hated it. Since you have to load the mag from front to rear and rock it back into the well, there is just BARELY enough clearance to do this without the pistol grip getting in the way- if I'm not holding the grip. FORGET about it under stress.