Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Prepared

Default Volcano Stove

Advertise Here

Thinking about adding one of these to the kit. Any users? Likes, dislikes? Recommendations? User tips?

http://www.bridensolutions.ca/volcan...ble-cook-stove
The Following User Says Thank You to Galen066 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,606 Times in 4,643 Posts

I've been mean to order one from emergency essentials. They cost about $90 here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 02:25 AM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,981 Times in 909 Posts

It's heavy, cooks well with wood, charcoal, or gas. It's a great camping, prep stove.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wombat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,788 Times in 4,592 Posts

Looks big. Not sure if I'd get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

thought you were talking bout a volcano kettle

Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crutch View Post
Looks big. Not sure if I'd get it.
It does look a little bulky for the BOB. Might be good for the BOL though.

I am very disappointed with the information page as I could not find information in how much it weighs. Weight is crucial for a BOB. If you have to haul the stove with you for a good stretch, you are better off making a little campfire for weight reasons. There are much smaller and lighter stoves. Another factor would be how many are you preparing for? If just yourself, then this stove is crazy big. If for your family, well it is feasible, as you can spread the essential gear between the family.

I do like the fact that this stove is designed to work with multiple fuel sources. That is always a nice feature. Use the propane till it runs out, then either make your own charcoal or use wood.

Again, I think it might be great for your final destination and long term use, but I would find out how much it weighs before I bought it for my bag.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I've been mean to order one from emergency essentials. They cost about $90 here.
With the propane attachment their price is $137.95, so the price is not that different $12, considering that the shipping would be higher to import from the US.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Ranger

There are at least 3 different types of stove that go by the term Volcano.

The one in the OP. The type FarmerJohn mentioned, AKA the Ghillie Stove, Kelly Kettle, Storm Kettle, Bengazi Boiler and at least one more that is from New Zealand.

The commonest one that is named Volcano is the Swiss Army one like in this link:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/WX130-1.html
Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetexas View Post
There are at least 3 different types of stove that go by the term Volcano.

The one in the OP. The type FarmerJohn mentioned, AKA the Ghillie Stove, Kelly Kettle, Storm Kettle, Bengazi Boiler and at least one more that is from New Zealand.

The commonest one that is named Volcano is the Swiss Army one like in this link:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/WX130-1.html
I really like this design, the swiss army one. Looks small and lightweight.
The Following User Says Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Ranger

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by survive View Post
I really like this design, the swiss army one. Looks small and lightweight.
The Swiss Volcano works great with a small alcohol burner like the trangia or pepsi can stoves. Even a small cat food can works fine and alk is cleaner burning than trioxane or twigs.

Also, when the bail is folded out, like in the pic, it is a cup stand for the mug.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevetexas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Canadian Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by survive View Post
It does look a little bulky for the BOB. Might be good for the BOL though.

I am very disappointed with the information page as I could not find information in how much it weighs. Weight is crucial for a BOB. If you have to haul the stove with you for a good stretch, you are better off making a little campfire for weight reasons. There are much smaller and lighter stoves. Another factor would be how many are you preparing for? If just yourself, then this stove is crazy big. If for your family, well it is feasible, as you can spread the essential gear between the family.

I do like the fact that this stove is designed to work with multiple fuel sources. That is always a nice feature. Use the propane till it runs out, then either make your own charcoal or use wood.

Again, I think it might be great for your final destination and long term use, but I would find out how much it weighs before I bought it for my bag.
Thanks Survive! We really appreciate the feedback as it is sometimes hard to catch areas of info we have over looked in describing a product. I have updated the website with the weight of the stove (25 lbs).

I also agree with Survive's advice based on whether it is intended for a BOB or BOL (or backup cooking source for your home locations). The stove collapses down to be quite compact, but may begin to feel extremely heavy if you have to carry it a very long distance by hand. The reason we love this particular stove is that it allows the 3 different fuel sources to be used, plus it can also act as a convection oven when the lid is used - allowing the ability to bake.

If you are looking for something lighter, the WoodGas Stove stove might be a better fit... ( http://www.bridensolutions.ca/catalo...ult/?q=woodgas )

Good Luck Prepping and thanks for the feedback!
The Following User Says Thank You to BridenSolutions For This Useful Post: