Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,608 Times in 6,089 Posts
Default Can you absorb water through your skin to prevent or help dehydration?

Advertise Here

My wife asked me this today and I honestly didn't know the answer.

She said that if there was a body of very suspect water, no way to boil it or purify it, would it absorb through your skin if you soak in it for a while...

At first I thought "no way" but then I thought on it some more. Your skin soaks water when you take a long bath. Else you would not get "raisin fingers" or toes. Then there are thousands of capillaries in your skin. So why wouldn't it work?

And yes, I know that the point where you may die from dehydration, you can drink the suspect water to give you a little more time. Probably the same amount of time as you would get if you soaked in any suspect water for a while. But is it possible?

Also I understand that your body will work harder to re-heat your body after soaking in that water which may use up more of your bodies fluid. Possible impurities may also enter the skin through the pores I am sure it would keep out crypto and other cysts/bacteria.

Anyone else have input?

Vic
Old 10-03-2010, 01:28 PM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,791 Times in 806 Posts

I know ya get "prune fingers" from being water to long, and thats absorption, but I'm not sure how it would help with water getting into your blood, organs , etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wombat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Tired of you people

Thanked 10,324 Times in 3,981 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

The body doesn't absorb any water. Because of the hundreds of layers of dead skin, it makes a natural barrier so water cannot get in.

Skin is composed of three primary layers: the epidermis, which provides waterproofing and serves as a barrier to infection; the dermis, which serves as a location for the appendages of skin; and the hypodermis (subcutaneous adipose layer), which is called the basement membrane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin
The Following User Says Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straza View Post
The body doesn't absorb any water. Because of the hundreds of layers of dead skin, it makes a natural barrier so water cannot get in.
But if that is the case, why do nicotine patches work? That is worn on the outer layers of skin also. There are other topical solutions that work like that also. So something must pass through the outer layers of the epidermis to get into our bloodstream right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 PM
grease monkey

Thanked 2,275 Times in 978 Posts

There are some pretty strong chemicals in things like nicotine patches. They design them to ossify into the skin, and that's why they do the job. Plain ol' water, does not share this quality. One thing I do know for sure though, is that soaking in the river will help your body retain what little water you have left, and not let anymore out due to sweating. It depends on the situation. If you are in a very hot climate, a nice river or pool can save your life, and help stabilize your core temperature. In a cold climate, getting wet and cold (obviously) is not a good idea.
You must take into account that the water needs to pass through your digestive system, where the nutrients can be absorbed. It's your organs that need the moisture, not so much the skin itself. So in a way, yes, you can keep your skin moist, and use a body of water to keep cool, preserving your internal supply, but your can't really "soak it up" (Unless your name is SpongeBob Squarepants)
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh97526 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 02:15 PM
aging

Thanked 12,387 Times in 4,069 Posts

You would absorb some, paramedics on ambulances will use warm, wet towels to hydrate the arm so they can start an IV. The problem with soaking in questionable water, is that you would still be exposing yourself to whatever substances that make you not want to drink the water.
The Following User Says Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,441 Times in 30,575 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

It'll soak into the skin but not enough actually gets in the system to help prevent dehydration. On the positive side, being wet will help slow down dehydration due to sweating, so it can be of use in warm weather.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 02:19 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

your body might absorb some water but not enough to help i would say putting somone in cool water would be more benificial if you were worried bout heat injuries to help cool them off but not help wit dehydration
Old 10-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Maximus

Awsome repsonses guys. I was just thrown by the question at first. I thought that a little water would be absorbed also, but not enough to prevent dehydration. Still a pretty good question for my wife to come up with.

Vic
Old 10-03-2010, 02:38 PM

I have never heard of water being absorbed via the skin, however when immersed in salt water the body can absorb the minerals in the water and develop hyperkalemia (excessive sodium leading to cardiac issues)
In an absolute emergency where one cannot drink I have heard of water being infused rectally as the bowel will absorb water at a pinch can be used for emergency treatment of dehydration.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randon View Post
I have never heard of water being absorbed via the skin, however when immersed in salt water the body can absorb the minerals in the water and develop hyperkalemia (excessive sodium leading to cardiac issues)
In an absolute emergency where one cannot drink I have heard of water being infused rectally as the bowel will absorb water at a pinch can be used for emergency treatment of dehydration.
its called an isreali iv use a 2 quart canteen
Old 10-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,441 Times in 30,575 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Well, I guess that would be more comfortable than some of the other things people have told me to shove up there over the years!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 4,872 Times in 2,019 Posts

Hey, Vic! I know this one!

The skin is the largest organ in the body, and the skin organ lacks the water distributive abilities that your digestive system has (stomach, intestines, etc). The skin's primary function is, of course, to protect us from the elements, so the skin can absorb water, but it will not let water pass into the body. On an interesting note, when your skin gets all wrinkled like that, it is because the epidermal layer, which is stratified and normally lies flat, has absorbed a bunch of water and the "pruney" phenomenon is actually the amplification of the irregular structure of your epidermal layer's squamous cells brought on by the absorption of water. Your dermal layer (the lower layer) won't absorb water unless you are lifethreateningly submerged in water. Neither layer will distribute the water to your body.

I once read a story about some WWII navy vets that were floating in the sea for 7 days or so (I can't remember precisely), and when they were rescued, their skin was irreversably destroyed when they were pulled into the helicopter. The autopsies of some of those men determined that, despite their skin being soaked to the point of mutilation, thier primary cause of death was dehydration.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM
grease monkey

Thanked 2,275 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Awsome repsonses guys. I was just thrown by the question at first. I thought that a little water would be absorbed also, but not enough to prevent dehydration. Still a pretty good question for my wife to come up with.

Vic
Definitely a good question. Tell her to sign up! Inquiring minds make for good discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh97526 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Semper Fi

Yes, your skin can absorb water for use.....if you have gills .
The Following User Says Thank You to The Goat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Simple Man

Quote:
Bear did this in an episode of Man vs. Wild and talked about a family that was adrift at see and thats the only way they didnt die of dehidration was basicly to give eachother enimas'. If you had no other way of filtering and/or purifying water that would work. Not very plesant though.

I still cant believe they showed that on tv
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigbmc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twyggy View Post
Hey, Vic! I know this one!

The skin is the largest organ in the body, and the skin organ lacks the water distributive abilities that your digestive system has (stomach, intestines, etc). The skin's primary function is, of course, to protect us from the elements, so the skin can absorb water, but it will not let water pass into the body. On an interesting note, when your skin gets all wrinkled like that, it is because the epidermal layer, which is stratified and normally lies flat, has absorbed a bunch of water and the "pruney" phenomenon is actually the amplification of the irregular structure of your epidermal layer's squamous cells brought on by the absorption of water. Your dermal layer (the lower layer) won't absorb water unless you are lifethreateningly submerged in water. Neither layer will distribute the water to your body.

I once read a story about some WWII navy vets that were floating in the sea for 7 days or so (I can't remember precisely), and when they were rescued, their skin was irreversably destroyed when they were pulled into the helicopter. The autopsies of some of those men determined that, despite their skin being soaked to the point of mutilation, thier primary cause of death was dehydration.
Great explination! I would thank you twice for that if I could
Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh97526 View Post
Definitely a good question. Tell her to sign up! Inquiring minds make for good discussion.
She just reads over my shoulder sometimes. She is too busy playing "facebook games" to come here :eye roll:

But I do have to say that she is really starting to ask more and think about the lifestyle. And it wasn't my years of influence... it was watching "Man, Woman, Wild" on TV together... go figure lol
Old 10-03-2010, 07:45 PM

ok people can not absorb water thru the skin.. Are you alien or what? your skin gets pruny cause you can't absorb water. it has too be ingested. come on now no human i know can absorb water thru the skin - just not possible
The Following User Says Thank You to jackie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 07:56 PM
lovein` life!

only a little bit though, it will not help
The Following User Says Thank You to fighterG For This Useful Post: