Survivalist Forum banner
72K views 89 replies 60 participants last post by  Vile Papist 
#1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on a Marlin 336c in 30-30 for an all around survival rifle????

#6 ·
I think it's a great idea.
I have a 336 SDT with a Wild West Guns ghost ring and Marlin leather sling.
I remove the stock screw and the whole "Kit" packs into a metal hard case that measures 25"x13".
I can pack 100 rds. of various 30/30 and 500 rds. of .22 in this "Kit".
This is a really neat setup for the trunk of your car or behind the seat of your truck.

Depending on situation this same package can also carry a Marlin 1894p or "CP" and a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. for the "P" configuration or Gp-100 for the Marlin "CP" .357 mag version.
This allows for a carbine and pistol "rig" that fires the same ammo.

Here it is with a Ruger MKll Stainless 5" BB, Junglee Baby Hattori (the real Hattori with mvs-8 steel and not the 440 Taiwanese junk they are putting out now), and marlin leather sling.

Attachments

#38 ·
A neat well thought out kit you have. So often people think that survival situations will be full time combat. I have studied real life survival situations and food and water are paramount in most cases. The fact that you have a rifle that will take the occasional big game as well as being potent enough for combat and a handgun that will feed you daily tells me you have given serious thought to survival. In the far north, the last place on the continent that men carry guns daily, this combination has been used for over a century. My 2 vechiles each carry such a combo. Though my rifles a pre 64 Winchester 94's and my handguns are pre war Colt Woodsmans, with the same 100 rounds of 30-30's and 500 rounds of 22's in each vechile, makes me wonder if we are kinfolk. The one thing I do is make sure I have heavier bullets for larger game, I live in elk and moose county, as well as FMJ bullets for my 30-30 just in case a rouge elephant should be encountered in my flowerbed. I wish a company would once again offer FMJ bullets loaded in the 30-30.

#8 ·
I don't think there's a serious rifleman in America that doesn't have a 30-30 lever action in their safe. If I could only have ONE rifle it would be my Marlin 30-30. Although I have other choices, right now next to my bed is a 336 Texan with 5 rounds of Remington 150 grain Core Locked in the magazine with nine more in a stock butt cuff.

#12 ·
I was thinking along these same lines of using a 30-30 as I have a couple hundred cases for one.
Was at a flea market and a guy had a Marlin for sale in 35 Remington and it was a good price so I brought it home. After I got to looking at it I realized I could load 357 Magnum bullets in the 35 Rem and pulled out some Sierra 180 FMJ pistol bullets. I loaded them to the same OAL as factory 35 Rem and they shoot quite well. I figure I save 50 to 65% of the cost of 35 Rem factory ammo by loading pistols bullets in it.
Also I have a 222 gr. bullet mold for 357 Mag and I need to try some cast bullet loads in it as well.

#14 ·
Most places in the eastern us 100-200m shots are about the furthest your going to get on average and even less in an urban environment so id say go for it its a great weapon very acurate and fun and another nice thing is they have nice iron sights wich many new rifles are being made now without them

#16 ·
Yes. I bought a Winchester 94 AE (angle eject) at the pawn shop that had the see thru mounts and a scope. I used the scope for another project, but will eventually re-scope the Winny. The problem is the scope sits real high, and the comb on the rifle was not really made for a scope, so I'm thinking about going to one of those lace on leather cheek pieces that were designed for the Garand. Pacific Canvas And Leather has them.
http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/

#17 ·
Agree 100% with the cheek addition if youre going to use a see through scope. I recently purchased the marlin 336 myself for its reliability as a "brush" gun here in Northern Pa. So i was very pleased to find this panel affirming my decision. personally i have a simmons scope (50$) with a 3-9 magnification. i find this to be ample for my needs, however if i were to use as my only weapon i would probably remove the scope entirely as the iron sites have proven very reliable 150 m +. ive been trying to round off my firearm collection, taurus 9mm mil pro, marlin 795 (.22), New England Pardner Pump (12ga) Marlin 336 (3030) and a heritage .22 revolver. all very well priced weapons imo. but i am very confident if i had to have only one that the 336 would step up to the task.

#20 ·
I think one can make a very good argument for the 30-30 in a lever action. Especially since surplus aint so cheap any more these days and neither are AK's and SKS's although they are still cheaper than many other options. Add to the fact that I can walk in just about any Pawn Shop and walk out with a gently used lever action for a song and dance, they are pretty economical as well. The other option I really like bout the lever actions, especially the 30-30, is the fact that it can digest a wide veriety of loads from the typical 150 and 170 gr flat point expanding ammo, to the 22 accelerator ammo and the soft tipped polymer spitzer type ammo thats now available making it pretty decent at more extended ranges. Additionally the fact that it will digest reduced loads and loads with gas checked lead bullets is an added plus for times when full throttle ammo aint required. When its all said and done I think the Lever Action can do a pretty fair job of holding its own and proving its worth as a reliable defensive weapon. While prehaps not the optimal tool for every job, its very good at doing a lot of jobs very well.

#22 ·
I got my 336 a couple of months ago and I love it. It could be a great survival rifle for many situations.

I wanted one for a long time but kept opting to buy AKs, mini 14s, and plastic pistols. I don't have any of those now, but I'll never get rid of my 30-30.

#23 ·
One thing you can pretty well count on with the 336 is it will put shots closer together down range than any SKS or AK I ever saw. I have a friend who was with Army MTU and he said they tested AKs and came to the conclusion they will stay somewhere in a E silhouette at 300 and that is about it.
I have never shot a Marlin at 300 but don't see why one could not keep them in the upper half of a E silhouette target.

Insofar as see through mounts go this is the best I have ever seen and I own several of them:

http://www.aimtech-mounts.com/Rifle Mounts.htm

They act as a fast sight acquisition aid which basically if you can see the target through the base pull the trigger. They are on the money and you don't have to have a raised cheek piece to see the scope either. My 35 Rem has the Aimtech base and a BSA Red Dot Scope and I have one on a 7615 and a AR as well. You will be surprised how quick you can get off a shot with this system.

#28 ·
Had a buddy bring a Romanian AK down a couple years ago and he was shooting 10" at 100 yards with combloc and he thought that was pretty good. I went to house and brought back my 6.5 TCU Contender Super 14 w/ scope and let him shoot it at 100 and he figured then he did not have a winner.

#33 ·
If you run up on a 35 Rem in the 336 at a good price don't pass it up.
Had a guy that lived next door years ago who was a natural hunter. Give him 20 rounds and he brought home 20 deer.
He said he liked the 35 Rem better than the 30-30. I like the 35 I have because it will handle cast bullets where the microgroove rifling is not fond of cast bullets should you be so inclined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.