Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 10-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Hunter

Default BOV: Bug Out Van? Van Living?

Advertise Here

Has anyone really considered living in a Van or something similar (small enough to not completely guzzle gas yet still not large enough to live in very comfortably)?

I have to admit, I'm kind of curious about this particular phenomenon. I saw a preview for a dvd, Rubber Tramps...

...and ever since the idea just seems like it has some merit. I looked around and found some on-line clubs for folks who say,"We're not homeless, we're HOUSE-LESS!"
Possible Bug Out Vehicle if your retreat from civilization turns into more of an exodus to some distant "safe" territory? Perhaps an option to get closer to SHTF-reductionist-lifestyle so we can get more comfortable for when things REALLY start to suck?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/livingmobile/
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NinjaBot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,312 Posts

Where do those hippies get money for fuel and vehicle maintanance/repairs - begging , stealing ?
They make it sound like a great way to live - free to do what they want . But really they are just bums who don't care to be productive and prefer to live off other peoples scraps or handouts .
Living on the road or the streets is dangerous . A lot of deranged people out there . I wonder how many people living that life have been robbed , raped , beaten or killed .
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodswalker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2010, 06:34 AM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,035 Times in 974 Posts
Cool

Those last two are great BOVs, i'm surprised the van doesn't have a diesel powerplant,

the last one (UNICART) is got to be unbelievably expensive
Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,384 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodswalker View Post
Where do those hippies get money for fuel and vehicle maintanance/repairs - begging , stealing ?
They make it sound like a great way to live - free to do what they want . But really they are just bums who don't care to be productive and prefer to live off other peoples scraps or handouts .
Living on the road or the streets is dangerous . A lot of deranged people out there . I wonder how many people living that life have been robbed , raped , beaten or killed .
The one guy said "I get low on money, you work for a few weeks and off I go again." It's about 2:20 in the third video. Some people save up then go and don't work at all while they're traveling. Some people have investments they live off of.

I've known people that did the same thing on motorcycle(check out http://www.advrider.com/ they do this all over the world. One motorcycle forum I'm a member of has sections just for staying with people all over the US free of charge. Just to be friendly.), bicycle and on foot. The guy on foot had a cross sewn onto his pack and people would stop and give him money. One guy bicycled to South America and back. I met a girl recently bicycling from Louisiana up through Georgia to Maine. I gave her some money and told her to get a hot meal on me, and to have fun and be safe. I've known lots of people that would work and travel for their summer vacations while in school.

I've played in a band and we worked our way across the US and back. We stayed with complete strangers most of the time. We met up with friends in different places as well. I met some of the nicest people. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. The world isn't full of psychos. Most people are good.

Yes it is potentially dangerous, maybe less than living in one spot since you're always changing locations and you're not traveling with anything worth taking. It's not like living in one place where people can case your house and know your schedule.

Someone you see as a bum that doesn't care to be productive could have more money than you and is enjoying the fruits of their labor, using camouflage to appear to be someone not worth robbing. I have an Uncle that's retired and has in his words "enough money to live a hundred lifetimes" that is constantly on cruises or is riding his motorcycle to new places.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hold-on For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,384 Times in 541 Posts

Ninjabot, my BOV is a E150 cargo van with a straight 6. I have plans to do a diesel 4x4 conversion at some point in the future once I find the right donor. But I'm pleased with the straight 6. I pulled a 5,000 lb truck with no problems. It has dual tanks and I have a range of about 5-600 miles. I carry an additional 5 gallons, but will add 2 more 5 gallon containers if I'm going to bug out.

I have it set up with cabinets on the walls that hold my tools, hitch mounts and balls, spare belts, spare tensioner, plugs, wires, cap, radiator hose, spare battery, battery charger, 5 gallons of water for the engine, 2 qts of power steering fluid, brake fluid, 10 qts of oil and filters. I keep a 3 ton floor jack in it and one full size spare.

I keep 10 gallons of drinking water in it as well as several days food, extra boots, a nice change of clothes and set of work clothes, a rain suit, my bug out/get home bags and have a 12 gauge with 100 rounds and a SKS with 250 rounds hidden fairly well in it but still easy to get to from the driver's seat. I carry a .45 on me with 2 spare magazines and 100 rounds under the seat.

I have a 500 watt inverter that will run a laptop(but not a coffee maker). I keep an inflatable air mattress and a 4 D cell mattress pump in it and have slept in it a couple times.

I've had pickup trucks with and without shells and decided I like the fully enclosed functionality of van. No more people throwing trash in the bed of the truck. No worries about things being blown out of the bed. The floor is also lower than a truck bed so is nicer to load plywood and drywall(or Bambi's dad) into. And I can load a 28 foot ladder(not extended) completely inside.

I can also load a motorcycle into it by myself, strap it down, slide my ramp in next to it and take it with me.

I still need to add a few more spare parts and I'd like to add a winch, a higher output alternator and bigger inverter.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hold-on For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 1,148 Times in 406 Posts

There's a complete sub-culture in our society that lives very discreetly in vans and other vehicles. I've often pondered this idea myself. Can't convince the wife to go along with it though.

If you want ideas that will help your decision process, check out http://www.cheaprvliving.com. It's definitely an interesting site. Lots of excellent ideas.
The Following User Says Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Surviving selling labor

I had a friend that lived in a little blue Mitsubishi pickup truck for two years after graduating high school. He used a small laptop to receive orders and arrange shipping of the custom outboard engine parts he manufactured using tools he kept in the bed of the truck. He earned about $15k/yr in 20hrs a week while on the road.

After two years he decided he wanted to make a life of it. He and his wife, whom he met while vagabond, are team drivers for a freight company. They bought a house a few years ago, but sold it after less than a year. They didn't like living in a house. Now they living in their big rig.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Whippersnapper

Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,255 Posts

Quote:
This is far from what i have seen/experienced.
I know/knew several people who do just this (links through my mother- not my kind of people, but all strength to them)
they generally make their money by working at festivals, performing, busking, making and selling things, investments etc.
I don't know anyone living on the road who has been raped, beaten or killed- some have been robbed, but to be fair that was at a festival.
Granted some do do the scraps and hand out thing, but for every one of them, there is an honest guy.

it is possible, and can be the ideal life for some people.

Honour is indefinable and irreplaceable, it is that by which a man can judge himself!
Old 10-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Hunter

Quote:
From what I understand there are some distinct differences between some of these social groups. Tramps like to travel for work (free if they can), hobos like to travel & not work, and bums like to neither travel nor work
At least that's my understanding...

Quote:
I'm sure....
Old 10-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold-on View Post
Ninjabot, my BOV is a E150 cargo van with a straight 6. I have plans to do a diesel 4x4 conversion at some point in the future once I find the right donor. But I'm pleased with the straight 6. I pulled a 5,000 lb truck with no problems. It has dual tanks and I have a range of about 5-600 miles. I carry an additional 5 gallons, but will add 2 more 5 gallon containers if I'm going to bug out.

I have it set up with cabinets on the walls that hold my tools, hitch mounts and balls, spare belts, spare tensioner, plugs, wires, cap, radiator hose, spare battery, battery charger, 5 gallons of water for the engine, 2 qts of power steering fluid, brake fluid, 10 qts of oil and filters. I keep a 3 ton floor jack in it and one full size spare.

I keep 10 gallons of drinking water in it as well as several days food, extra boots, a nice change of clothes and set of work clothes, a rain suit, my bug out/get home bags and have a 12 gauge with 100 rounds and a SKS with 250 rounds hidden fairly well in it but still easy to get to from the driver's seat. I carry a .45 on me with 2 spare magazines and 100 rounds under the seat.

I have a 500 watt inverter that will run a laptop(but not a coffee maker). I keep an inflatable air mattress and a 4 D cell mattress pump in it and have slept in it a couple times.

I've had pickup trucks with and without shells and decided I like the fully enclosed functionality of van. No more people throwing trash in the bed of the truck. No worries about things being blown out of the bed. The floor is also lower than a truck bed so is nicer to load plywood and drywall(or Bambi's dad) into. And I can load a 28 foot ladder(not extended) completely inside.

I can also load a motorcycle into it by myself, strap it down, slide my ramp in next to it and take it with me.

I still need to add a few more spare parts and I'd like to add a winch, a higher output alternator and bigger inverter.
Wow, much more comprehensive ( & better planned) than my BOV, which is currently my Japanese SUV.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post
There's a complete sub-culture in our society that lives very discreetly in vans and other vehicles. I've often pondered this idea myself. Can't convince the wife to go along with it though.

If you want ideas that will help your decision process, check out http://www.cheaprvliving.com. It's definitely an interesting site. Lots of excellent ideas.
I'm checking it out right now. Thanks a lot! what a great resource.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNGEN View Post
After two years he decided he wanted to make a life of it. He and his wife, whom he met while vagabond, are team drivers for a freight company. They bought a house a few years ago, but sold it after less than a year. They didn't like living in a house. Now they living in their big rig.
I used to drive OtR for a major carrier, was surprisingly good at it & made plenty of money but it wasn't for me. Some things just can't be had with the hours that the job demands (I like regular martial arts training, frequent non-risky sex, etc...)
Old 10-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Where's it written that one must be productive?
People want to adopt a gypsy type of lifestyle on meager means that's their business, ain't hurting anybody. Lighten up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Katrina Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 3,279 Times in 945 Posts

The infamous....
http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.p...t=truck+living
Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 PM

Great thread -- not only a BOV -- but a fun RV/get out and play toy!! I want one of these so bad I can taste is -- and if I had anywhere to store it, I would get one and likely NEVER be seen again!!!

http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html
Old 10-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDep View Post
Great thread -- not only a BOV -- but a fun RV/get out and play toy!! I want one of these so bad I can taste is -- and if I had anywhere to store it, I would get one and likely NEVER be seen again!!!

http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html
I really like those! Someone near me has one & sometimes I see it driving down the street & just drool.
Man, you're just enabling me, adding to my wish list...

I've seen the Earth Roamer line & if I had that much disposable money, I no doubt would have one!
http://www.earthroamer.com/

Here's another site with some vehicle options covering the whole price range.
http://jalopnik.com/360213/the-ten-b...vival-vehicles
Old 10-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Soldier of The Cross

I've got an Astro conversion van that is one of our options. I wish that it was all-wheel drive though.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,509 Posts

I crashed out in a 90's full size chevy van conversion while i bummed around florida for around 6 months
Wasnt perfect living BUT wasn't bad being i was single
Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 AM

I've seen the Earth Roamer line & if I had that much disposable money, I no doubt would have one!
http://www.earthroamer.com/

I have actually seen one of the Earth Roamers in person - I was @ Snoqualmie Pass last winter and saw one....it was the pickup version...it was GORGEOUS!!!...yes, being on their website is fun!!...what I want - really want - is a 4X4 RV/van/pickup that could be a BOV as well as a "toy" in the meantime...someday - he says - someday....
Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Prepared

Thanked 12,512 Times in 5,830 Posts

They're probably living on a shoestring budget, are independently wealthy, had well-to-do parents, etc. Would you begrudge only the idle poor, or the idle rich also?

Maybe they'd be better off living in tents and smaller vehicles (rather than driving RV's) at national forests, state parks, etc. There are limits to how long you can stay in one place, so you'd need to pick up camp on a regular basis. Personally, I don't see the merit. I wouldn't be worried about thugs, so long as you camp out in scenic natural places -- rather than urban ghettos, truck stops outside of Detroit, etc. But your gas/maintenance prices will begin to add up. You'd be better off buying 10 acres cheap somewhere stationary and living on your own property in a shack, mobile home, yurt, modest cabin, etc.

Quote: