Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Communications
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I love this forum

Default Best CB antana for my car? K30 K40?

Advertise Here

I bought this midland and it has a hook up for an external antana:

http://www.midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ/75-822

I am putting this on a luxury car. I want a magnetic mount that is the best I can get. Who makes the best brand?

I dont want something super huge since its going on a luxury car; but was wondering what smaller antana works best?

What material plastic or metal is best?

How hard is it to put an amplifier to give me more range?

My research shows K40 and K30 is best but want more opinions.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Prepared

If you want a mag mount go with a wilson 1000.
For the best price go to copper.com
The Following User Says Thank You to magking1971 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post

I am putting this on a luxury car. I want a magnetic mount that is the best I can get. Who makes the best brand?

I dont want something super huge since its going on a luxury car; but was wondering what smaller antana works best?

Honestly, with that radio, don't bother trying to amplify it...its just going to bleed and sound like crap.

If you're serious about CB radio, you're not going to care about what the radio and/or antenna looks like. Just shooting straight with you, that little hand held might talk a mile, and it might not. To run a radio with an amp and really get out some, you'll need a REAL radio and antenna.

For instance, I know guys who run basic cobra 29's or uniden 68's, with a mild tune and a GOOD antenna will talk 15 miles (this varies upon so many things, mind you).
The Following User Says Thank You to revrobrocks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 09:21 PM

Peaked and tuned Galaxy DX 959 SSB with a Wilson 1000 antenna.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,772 Times in 459 Posts

If you really want some mobile communications that can reach out further, you need to go Ham radio. Yes, you need to study for, take and pass a 35 question test to get your license but it's not hard to do. You CAN do it if you are serious.

I know that CB's do have their place. They are a step above the FRS/GMRS radios for distance, but not much and IMHO, CBs are not that good for communications when the band is tied up with the foul mouthed idiots. We Hams don't call CB Childrens Band for nothing!

Medic73
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medic73 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Texas chooses people.

Thanked 1,571 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic73 View Post
...CBs are not that good for communications when the band is tied up with the foul mouthed idiots. We Hams don't call CB Childrens Band for nothing!

Medic73
And us rednecks dont call you boys ham hocks for nothing.
And yes, you are correct that HAM would be much better. But some of us don't want the paper trail related to that license. So we might get that HAM, but it will merely set on that shelf for a 'justincase'. In th emeantime, we will tolerate our CB's and turn them off when the language gets foul. Do the Wilson 1000 for the mag mount. I have a Uniden GrantXL SSB and it suits its purpose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,772 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Fire View Post
And us rednecks dont call you boys ham hocks for nothing.
And yes, you are correct that HAM would be much better. But some of us don't want the paper trail related to that license. So we might get that HAM, but it will merely set on that shelf for a 'justincase'. In th emeantime, we will tolerate our CB's and turn them off when the language gets foul. Do the Wilson 1000 for the mag mount. I have a Uniden GrantXL SSB and it suits its purpose.
I have heard that "paper trail" argument many times before. Some don't want to get a Ham License because they don't want to give their home address because anyone can look you up by your call sign, but you do not have to give your home address. You can use an address at places like a UPS Store box.

As far as getting on some database, do you really believe that you and everyone else are not already on some database? Got a firearm you bought through a dealer and had the backgroud check? Got a drivers license, social security nember, etc... You are already on a list.

As far as having the radio equipment to use only if/when the SHTF, if you haven't really used it, you probably won't have enough experience to get the most out of it. Radios are often very funny because of the radio wave propagation under different conditions. Only actually using them in real time conditions will give you the knowledge to know why it isn't getting out very far. Even CBs sometimes get "skip" and can talk for sometimes hundreds of miles, but can you make them do that when you want them to?

Really, I don't worry about my license because I am doing nothing wrong. I know that I can set up my equipment and be communicating with others hundreds of miles away (on HF, not on 2-meter/70cm) radio to radio because I practice doing that often.

All I'm saying is that if you really want reliable communications, you need the right equipment and you need to get out there and use it in real conditions.

When all else fails, amateur radio works.

Medic73
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medic73 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Stop feeding the troll your souls guys, along with the crude spelling and the "luxury car" bait it is quite obviously trolling at its worst. I intend to set up an international survivalistboards.com troll patrol.....that rhymes and you know it.....I declare myself supreme master commander....recruitment in to this elite unit is open!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyShackleford123 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 PM
This site sucks

Thanked 2,075 Times in 825 Posts

I run a Galaxy 919 tuned at Sparkys CB. A Wilson Little Wil antenna because it is the best mag in the 36" range. I think the Wilson 1000 is 60 inches, to tall on top of my pickup.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:28 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic73 View Post
If you really want some mobile communications that can reach out further, you need to go Ham radio. Yes, you need to study for, take and pass a 35 question test to get your license but it's not hard to do. You CAN do it if you are serious.

I know that CB's do have their place. They are a step above the FRS/GMRS radios for distance, but not much and IMHO, CBs are not that good for communications when the band is tied up with the foul mouthed idiots. We Hams don't call CB Childrens Band for nothing!

Medic73
Who do you talk to on HAM? Who can you hear on it? Does it work like a police scanner and a CB in one?

The Midland hand held has a hook up for an external antenna.

What channels are common other than 9 and 19? Im still debating which antenna to get. I like the K40

How do the tune the antenna? These are only 58 inches but they say the testing shows that they beat a wilson 5000?

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/k4...tenna-434.html

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/k4...mount-483.html

How much less signal should I expect with a smaller 35 inch?

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/k4...tenna-426.html

What time of day do CB's usually work best and why
Old 10-02-2010, 07:29 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford123 View Post
Stop feeding the troll your souls guys, along with the crude spelling and the "luxury car" bait it is quite obviously trolling at its worst. I intend to set up an international survivalistboards.com troll patrol.....that rhymes and you know it.....I declare myself supreme master commander....recruitment in to this elite unit is open!!!

I guess I am a troll then
Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 AM
I love this forum

Do I need a wilson 5000 if im not putting more power than a handheld through it? I narrowed it down to a K40 or Wilson 5000. Both are about the same price. How much more distance will I get with the Wilson 5000?

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/wi...tenna-357.html
Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Do I need a wilson 5000 if im not putting more power than a handheld through it? I narrowed it down to a K40 or Wilson 5000. Both are about the same price. How much more distance will I get with the Wilson 5000?

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/wi...tenna-357.html
i've used both and hands down the wilson 5000 is the better antenna...better coax on it to, so if you upgrade in the future you will be better off.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 AM
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:

Get a strong one so we can hear you from prison.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrobrocks View Post
i've used both and hands down the wilson 5000 is the better antenna...better coax on it to, so if you upgrade in the future you will be better off.
Can the 5000 wilson be bent slightly to store in a trunk? Can I put a smaller length whip on it easily?
Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,405 Times in 3,206 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Best CB antenna? 102 inch whip on a ball mount that's properly grounded.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kahn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 PM
RIP America 1776-2012

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahn View Post
Best CB antenna? 102 inch whip on a ball mount that's properly grounded.
That's what I run mounted in the center of the vehicle.

III ~ Peaceful, but prepared.

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L. -
Old 10-02-2010, 04:24 PM
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Is anyone gonna mention he needs to tune the antenna with a SWR meter before he smokes the transmit circuit.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpracer1 View Post
Is anyone gonna mention he needs to tune the antenna with a SWR meter before he smokes the transmit circuit.
He's asking about amplifiers before he seems to know anything about CB. He's probably going to smoke the radio anyway ... and possibly his car too.

To the OP ...

Learn what you are doing first before even considering an amplifier. Better yet, don't use an amplifier. If you know what you are doing you won't need one.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:54 PM
This site sucks

Thanked 2,075 Times in 825 Posts

That's what I decided. No research done at all and the CB picked is not really that great. So he will learn the hard way if he is to lazy to do some reading.