Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Default Recommend some pants for camping in winter

Advertise Here

I heard that cotton is a no-no. Please recommend some pants for camping in winter season. I live in San diego, but when I camp on palomar mountain, 5000elevation and above, it gets really cold, reach zero or below. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Durkas gonna durk...

Thanked 10,133 Times in 3,723 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Wool for me. I have several different kinds with a variety of thickness.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Listen to Johnny Cash

Thanked 2,615 Times in 953 Posts

Layers. I dont get cold easily but my system is lighweight Hot Chili's as a base and REI E-1 Pant's for a shell 100.00). That's used for boarding, snowshoeing, snowcaving, everything. Then as the sun goes down i switch out the E-1's for some homemade fleece pants.

You may want a midweight or heavier but if i keep moving I get hot and the side zips and built in gaiters are perfect.

My E-1's are 5 yrs old and have probably 500 hard working snow days on them and look brand new. I've even glissaded down parts of Mt. Shasta in them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to britzen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 4,868 Times in 2,018 Posts

+1 for plugging wool. It might not be the best on top of a mountain because of the wind, so I'd get a set a goretex pants to put over 'em to stop the wind, but it'll sure keep you warm.

And we're not talking like Class A uniform poly/wool mix, we're talking a nice loose and fluffy weave.

These are what I have. They are Columbia's gallatian range wool pants. They're durable, function great, and at an affordable price. Probably because they're only 65 percent wool. Stick some polypro's underneath and some goretex on top and you, sir, have yourself some warm mountaintop wear.

http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/bsfjt2h...mo-Wool-Boonie

If I had to do is all over again, I'd buy the hunting bib. When the pants get wet they get heavy and they start to sag. Also, once you really use the wool, it stretches out a little bit. I suppose you could try and reshrink it in the dryer, but I haven't tried that.
The Following User Says Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Bayonet Diplomat

Twyggy's got a solid point.

I don't like the weight and stiffness of heavyweight (winter weight) wool trousers, but they insulate when wet (decreased insulation, but still enough if you're moving) and they're spark & flame resistant...another valuable feature for outdoor survival!

If you're not into wool (some folks like my beautiful bride are REALLY allergic to wool!) then I'd recommend layering:

1. lightweight wicking fabrics
2. medium weight wicking fabrics
3. Polartec (R) fleece
4. windproof outerwear for dry cold conditions
5. goretex (or other facsimile) outerwear for wet cold conditions

Also, for outer layers, I'd recommend a tight weave fabric, something abrasion and tear resistant. Up here in the Boreal Forest of Canada there are simply REAMS of wild rose that grow under Aspen/Birch/Cottonwood canopies. They pick and tear at fabrics over time, and you might have something similarly irritating where you are.

For your consideration, sir.

Kurt.

EDIT: Duh...didn't answer the question. If you like wool, try the Swedish wool trousers (surplus) that come with cargo pockets and ankle "belts". They work beautifully with black or white Mickey Mouse boots! Great kit!

Sorry for the abject stupidity there...

Kurt.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,672 Posts

Filson Wool or Browning Hydra Fleece.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Trapper

The Japanese or Koreans make a great fluffy, wool longjohn pants. I sure wish I knew the name. It's all Korean letters. lol Found my pair at the thrift store. $2 or thereabouts.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,371 Posts

Look online at surplus outlets like Sportsman's Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, and many others and get some mil surp wool pants. Many Swede, Swiss, German, etc. military pants are available cheap.
Also layer, use polypro or similar long johns as a base, then a layer of insulation, like say the mil surp BDU cold weather pant liners, or some fleece pants, then the wool pants.
commercial wool pants are great too, like Columbia and best of all is Filson or Indian Mountain, but they cost a lot more, too.
Don't forget to get wool socks, layerd again, and something for the top, layerd and wool is very nice.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Tired of you people

Thanked 10,298 Times in 3,972 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Base Layer
Mid-Layer
Shell Layer

One thing he stresses which I like is venting, having an option to release some of that heat while wearing layers is quite important. I have different pieces of clothing for different temperatures but to me it sounds like something along the lines of this would suit you well:

Wool
Base Layer: Merino Wool Bottoms by Ibex
Mid-Layer: Icebreaker Wool Mid
Shell: Marmot Shell

These are just examples of course but I do highly recommend getting some shell pants with zippers to let out some heat when you rest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Woods lover

+1000 on wool for active pursuits. Highly breathable, dries fast, no odor, flame resistant, etc. Filson or Cabel's wool pant would serve you well for those temps. -30f or below up here, and they have never let me down.

LL
Old 10-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Farmer

Thanked 21,604 Times in 8,810 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

We will see at least one week of evenings dipping to -20 here each winter.

I wear 100% wool pants and shirts. I buy them at military surplus stores or goodwill stores. I never pay more than $8 for a shirt, $15 for pants.

I spend a few hours every day outside tending livestock, or later tapping maples.

I think my profile photo here shows me with ice formed in my beard and eyebrows. I was smiling when the ice locked my face in that expression. It was a day with high winds but I doubt it truly got below -5 that day. Wind-chill numbers I do not know.

I was wearing wool socks, silk boxers, and silk t-shirt. Wool pants and wool shirt. Wool knit cap, wool mittens with leather gauntlet outer shell, and a lightweight outer shell jacket. [No sweater, no long-johns]

Now when it does get colder I do put on a wool sweater also.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the input!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:35 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

and in todays news:

city slicker found frozen solid in the palomar mountains.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Sack up Nancy

I'll take "any pants" for $200 Alex
Old 10-01-2010, 02:13 PM
knife lover

Default Good brand

http://www.craghoppers.com/
Bear grylls stuff here lol
Old 10-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Tired of you people

Thanked 10,298 Times in 3,972 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Hmm, I think I will pass
Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 654 Posts

I always wear jeans with two base layers in the winter(1- under armor, 2- regular long johns)...During the day that is..and the coldest I've personally seen it is -35 F....for sleeping I'd wear some fleece stuff prolly..maybe some military surplus polypro. As far as pants go anyways..
Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserX View Post
I always wear jeans with two base layers in the winter(1- under armor, 2- regular long johns)...During the day that is..and the coldest I've personally seen it is -35 F....for sleeping I'd wear some fleece stuff prolly..maybe some military surplus polypro. As far as pants go anyways..
I have done that. But not anymore.

You could replace most of that with one set of woolens.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
I have done that. But not anymore.

You could replace most of that with one set of woolens.
I can't disagree with that. Although wool would be weird at work and I'm not sure that it would like the little bits of occasional crude oil on it...but I do occasionally wear a thick wool shirt..Very nice and warm as long as its not rubbing on your skin.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

When I lived in Scotland we commonly saw wool clothing marked as to what grade of wool is in it. Some are scratchy, the better grades are not.

Now we have sheep, and we have been shearing them. My wife likes to knit. We also attend workshops on wool and have been invited to join a wool Co-Op.

However in the modern internet marketing system the grade of wool is not transparent.

It seems that woolens offered to Americans is only the poorer grades for some reason. And we seem to have no option available to even find the better grades [short of buying uncarded wool at the Co-Op].

I find this puzzling.

We know that better grades exist, we even own some very nice lace that we purchased from a woolen mill. We have a box of Scottish wool blankets and none of them are scratchy, they are all very soft.

Even at a fabric store, the only option among wool fabric is how much plastic it is blended with. Not how fine it is.