Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 AM

Default Double cobra stitch paracord belt

Advertise Here

Hey guys, I saw this example of how to make a belt and liked the look of it, but I didn't like that it was made up of so many separate strands.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...Paracord-Belt/

So I thought I could make a few modifications to this and make up my own version. Mine will be made up of only 2 separate strands, so only 4 ends to tuck in, instead of 8 like in the original.

This is overkill for sure, but I made up a wood frame to hold the strands in place until I got it secured. The pin that I fold over the initial strands on, pulls out so I can release it.

My belt is about 50 inches long total. I tried to figure out how much cord I would need and my best guess was 2 strands of 100 ft each. To make it easier to work with I found the center of each strand and loosely fed the ends into 4 ziplock bags. This made it much easier to handle and work with then loose strands.

Here is my start of the braiding part. This is a standard cobra stitch, but every other one you cross the middle strands over. The middle of each strand is secured to the buckle part, then looped around the releasing part of the frame.

Once you get a few rows done you can pull out the pin and release the end. You can then pull on the ends to tighten up the slack. I really like the simplicity of making the ends this way as there are no loose strands on this end at all.

More to come in a minute, just copying the pics from my phone.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 AM

This is the boring part.... to continue the double cobra stitching for me 50 inches... if you have a smaller waist then faster for you! My waist is 40 but I wanted extra just in case.

And finally you get to the end, and just have the 4 loose ends to deal with.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to syph007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 09:18 AM

So this is the point I got to, with no plan on how to tuck in and finish the strands off.

I'm sure there is some specific tool for this, but I dont have it, nor know what its called. So I just made up one from some wire and dowel. This is DIY afterall!!!

This worked out just fine to pull the strands in.

This is as far as I got yesterday. All the strands pulled back, so they just need to be finished off and cleaned up. Tonight I'll do that and braid on the keeper. This didnt take as long as I thought it would and I LOVE the result! Also i needed a belt

Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 AM

That looks like a great idea. I'm going to have to make one myself now. Thanks for the great pictures. Makes the process easy to follow and understand. This is a great idea for carrying extra 550 cord. Lots of it too and in good length.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Sector IV

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

I am in need of a new belt also, and have thought about making one from 550 cord, but I wasn't too keen on how thin a single cobra knot would be. It never dawned on me that it could be doubled.

I have been having a hard time wrestling with spending the money on a Chinamart belt - as tight as money is, I can't afford to spend a lot on a good belt, but I also don't want to throw even a little good money at a cheap belt. This is something that will cost roughly the same as a cheap belt, but offer the durability of a good one. Plus, that's a lot of cordage to have on hand.

I have a question though - on the free end (non-buckle end), can the knots be pulled out with a little or a lot of effort?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhghe View Post
I have a question though - on the free end (non-buckle end), can the knots be pulled out with a little or a lot of effort?
Hey, you are thinking the same way as me.. I needed a belt and didn't want a waste of money one. Currently the free ends are just held in by friction, but they don't move at all. I still want to cut and melt the ends though, and once i mushroom them down, i think that will lock it permanently. Thats what I will try tonight.

btw I got the buckle from ebay for a couple bucks (search for roller buckle, 1.5"), and paracord is pretty cheap. Just need to apply some effort and you get a cheap handy product.

Oh also, i forgot to comment on how much paracord i had left over. I had 2x 100ft lenghts for my 50 inch belt. I had about 10 feet left on each of the ends, so in total it's more likely 2x 80ft pieces. I didnt want to end up short though so I used extra.

Edit: I just realized you were talking about the non buckle end. The knots there are rock solid and dont move at all. it is not possible to unravel at all at that end. I experimented with some paracord scraps I had, to come up with this, and when it worked out I was floored how simple of a solution it is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syph007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Well I got it finished up last night. Here is the underside of the belt with the ends cut and melted down.

Then I braided on a cobra stitched keeper. My wife says it looks too bulky, and I should have something made of metal for this, but I couldn't think of anything to use.

Here is the finished product. It turned out great!! It's very rugged and sturdy.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 27,617 Times in 11,335 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

GREAT POST!

Serendipitous that you posted this...I've been making the bracelets for some time and have been planning of doing belts next.

Thanks again for sharing

LIST OF IMPORTANT THREADS FOR FORUM MEMBERS

KEEP THE FORUM GOING STRONG
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 6,328 Times in 3,106 Posts

Simply fantastic, well done! The photos you used are great too, thanks for sharing. Excellent post!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,682 Posts

thanks for the posts and info sweet stitches
Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,778 Times in 1,304 Posts

Nice belt let us know if you plan on selling them.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:16 AM
strikes to the left

Thanked 1,580 Times in 663 Posts

A couple of months ago, my watchband broke and I use the double cobra to replace it with gutted paracord. This is a really great knot to learn and use.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hubb For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 08:01 AM

Shoot, my server went down that host the images... thats the quality i get for $5 a month I guess :D If it doesnt come back up soon, I'll attache the pics directly.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Great information and nice finished project as well! Thanks!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,097 Times in 3,659 Posts

The applications to horse tack are many-many....
Old 10-03-2010, 05:56 PM

Now THAT was awesome! Never thought of a belt, the possibilities are endless. Sure I toted the stuff around, made lean-tos, clothes lines, even adapted tactical gear with it, but a dedicated belt? And the watchband...very smart uses for a common item amongst us on here. You all have set me in motion and I thank you for that, Otzie
Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 AM

Hey glad you guys liked the belt. Please post pics if you make one! I'm working on a second now, made of digital camo paracord. Hopefully this one goes a bit faster with experience. btw I've been wearing this one since I finished it, and it works great. Very strong and heavy duty. I'm thinking this technique might be good for a rifle sling too.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

thanks i was wondering how to do a double one did a single for my rifle sling but a double is what i wanted thanks for showing me how
Old 10-04-2010, 04:22 PM
strikes to the left

Thanked 1,580 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syph007 View Post
Hey glad you guys liked the belt. Please post pics if you make one! I'm working on a second now, made of digital camo paracord. Hopefully this one goes a bit faster with experience. btw I've been wearing this one since I finished it, and it works great. Very strong and heavy duty. I'm thinking this technique might be good for a rifle sling too.
On my watchband, it took a few hours to get the technique down, but once I got it started, it took about thirty minutes to finish. I guess what I'm saying is that your next project should go much faster.

As far as the sling, this stitch does well for that. My first one turned out nice but here's a tip; when threading the stitch, do it just a little looser. My first one was done tight and it made the sling too rigid for me.

I've been trying to make another one that is adjustable but haven't figured that one out yet.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Saiyan Survivalist

Thanked 3,571 Times in 1,489 Posts

I did a sling before. For some reason it never occurred to me that I could put two cobra stitches side by side.

What I cam up with was

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I basically used 7 strands of center cord and did a tight cobra stitch over that for about 10 complete knots. Then I transitioned to a knitting style weave. after that was done (the whole sling done and functional) I did another /double/ cobra stitch over the center portion.

What this does is give me A LOT of 550 to take off my sling without compromising the sling itself. I thought it was rather ingenious. It also make the sling really soft, wide, and comfortable. I left the knitting weave and the second cobra stitch rather loose so it will flex well.

I pre-measured the sling itself before starting to tie everything off and get to work. I will not lie... putting this thing together was a bitch and a half. Once I got going it only took about a day to do, but it was a full day at that.

So now you may be asking yourself... how does it work?

It works like a charm.

These pics were taken in my gf's bathroom. They're not flattering and they're backwards because I was using the cell phone camera in the mirror, but you get the drift.

The weapon hangs much like it is on a single point sling now.

It can be easily shouldered ambidextrously.

In closing, this was a fun little project and I got a nice sling out of it. Anyone with a bullpup weapon, I suggest taking a look at a similar slinging method.

This simple 2 point sling meets my needs. I put armor on to test it out and it is a little tighter so I went to a single shoulder carry. That worked ok too, but single point was the best option for armor.

That said, the coolest thing about this sling is that if the weapon is shouldered or a single point sling is used, the sling can be wrapped around the buttstock of the weapon or it just hangs out of the way.

All in all, this was a cool project.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BumblingBear For This Useful Post: