Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,571 Times in 1,292 Posts
Default Canned goods that have expired, would you still eat them?

Advertise Here

Been dealing with some friends that have been storing goods for while. They however, did not rotate their stores and now have food that has expired. How far beyond the expiration dates, would you still be willing to eat the food?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Zombie Hunter

Yes, kinda matters what it is, how old and if the can is intact without dents and such... many times the food is still "good" but may taste not so good... but safe... unless ofcourse there are dents, rust, smell bad etc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greasetrap For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 PM
born to be riled

I have and still do eat canned stuff that expired a year or more ago. Those dates are more of a suggestion.
If the top of the can is all bowed from pressure or if a bunch of air and food squirts out when you first pierce the can then it's bad and should be trashed.
When in doubt --I trash it--not worth getting sick over a 50 cent can of food
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vgun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,238 Times in 28,547 Posts

Wow, there have been how many threads about this recently? Canned food never actually spoils or rots as long as the seal is still intact. It may slowly degrade in taste or texture. But it's good to eat for many years past the expiration date. Some notable exceptions are acidy foods. They tend to start tasting metallic within a year or two of expiration. But as for how long they're safe to eat. Think decades!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Survivor

That's what I figured. The dates that have been put on the cans are to ensure that the manufacturer doesn't get sued. It stands to reason that it would be good a while beyond that date.
The Following User Says Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Wow, there have been how many threads about this recently? Canned food never actually spoils or rots as long as the seal is still intact. It may slowly degrade in taste or texture. But it's good to eat for many years past the expiration date. Some notable exceptions are acidy foods. They tend to start tasting metallic within a year or two of expiration. But as for how long they're safe to eat. Think decades!
I wouldn't have thought that long, but thanks for the input on that one.

My apologies too if this thread is a repeat...
Appreciate the feedback though!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Mentally lost....

Thanked 1,037 Times in 394 Posts

Nope, your good. Long as the cans are intact and in good condition(no rust or leaking damage) they will pretty much last indefinitely. Pasteurization kills all bacteria and organisms in the food during canning. Cans keep an air tight seal so no more bacteria can get to the food, thus its pretty much "un-spoil-able"

Food only goes bad because its contact with air born bacteria or has bacteria and organisms already in it like animal by products. If its been pasteurized and never opened until use, no bacteria can get inside to spoil the goods.

If you doubt it, smell it after opening it. If its been rotting in your cupboard for the last year, better believe you're nose will know it.
The Following User Says Thank You to twowong4words For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Left the building

Thanked 25,183 Times in 8,253 Posts

Another reason ........again.........to store what you eat, and eat what you store. No reason not to rotate food.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TxHills For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHills View Post
Another reason ........again.........to store what you eat, and eat what you store. No reason not to rotate food.
I agree whole heartedly. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Y2K Veteran

I know that canned goods with an expiration date of up to a year are distributed thru canned food drives. Got this from a volunteer at a food bank. One group checks over the cans and the person I talked to was one who packed the boxes, saw plenty of cans 1 year expired. As for me, I'll go up to a year and then I do notice a taste difference, so I toss some things about 2 years out. I now try not to waste food, so I eat it or donate it before it gets to that 2 year point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogmeat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Left the building

Thanked 25,183 Times in 8,253 Posts

If I could make another suggestion...I always mark my items with the month and year of expiratoin. Helps keep a handle on things. Keep a Sharpie handy.
A couple of examples.
Attached Thumbnails
dates 004.jpg  

Last edited by TxHills; 08-02-2013 at 01:38 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TxHills For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Young Adult

I dident know all this thanks for sharing it.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:19 PM
The Over 40 Club

Thanked 1,449 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
If I could make another suggestion...I always mark my items with the month and year of expiratoin. Helps keep a handle on things. Keep a Sharpie handy.
A couple of examples.
Something I always do also is write the price I paid on the item. I mostly only shop sales and by writing the price it helps me to compare what I paid the last time I bought that item.

Yesterday , I made chili with hamburger that I canned about 1 1/2 years ago , tomatoes were about 2 years old , onions and green peppers , I dehydrated over 2 years ago. I was great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wchancey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,510 Times in 755 Posts

I eat canned food that's over a year old. Right now I'm using mayo that more than a year, and peanut butter that's over two. They taste fine. I agree that some acid foods (depending on the can) taste metalic after a while but otherwise as long as the can is fine, so is the food. I did find canned jelly that was from 2000 and even though it looked fine, that's way too long for me to try. Just use common sense if it smells or looks funny don't try it. As to the question, I for one, have no trouble with people asking that type of question regardless of how many times it's been asked. I'd rather people be safe. As the saying goes the only stupid question is the one not asked.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,453 Posts

Quote:
The search function here isn't all that good, so be patient if someone brings up a topic again. Anyway, ARE there any new survival topics? I get disgusted with those who don't even bother to read the first page of topics before they post the same news item for the third time.

Some canned goods deteriorate faster than others. Like Mike says, acidic food such as tomatoes or citrus foods start to taste like the can rather than to actually go "bad". I've had a few leak after a few years, and they've always been acidic foods that have actually eaten through the can at the seams. If the can is okay, and the food looks okay, and it smells okay, it should be okay to eat too. Not necessarily your favorite food by that time, but still sustaining.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Trapper

The acidic foods don't have the problems they did years back. Most of those cans have a liner today.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
The acidic foods don't have the problems they did years back. Most of those cans have a liner today.
Mine weren't THAT old! It's good to know they have liners now, though. One of the cans that leaked had gotten moist and started rusting from the outside. I don't trust anything that is rusty on the outside unless it is just on the rim only and hasn't gotten to the can itself...and then I eat it up ASAP. I store them a bit better now and am better about rotating them.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,524 Times in 4,582 Posts

Quote:
Mike, you have always got something in my opinion useful to say.

If you aren't cutting up and making us laugh our butts off, you are telling it like it is.

You are right, again. I did want to add that the color can also be effected by age, but it doesn't change the edibility of the foods.

As long as your canned foods have remained in proper storage, you should be fine.

Mike I enjoy your posts. You Texans rock.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I see this all over the place, "rotate your food stocks", but when it comes to canned foods the sentiment in this thread, as well as my own, is that canned foods are generally only labeled with an expiration date to protect the food company and in fact the food inside the can will remain good for years, even decades, after the expiration date. When it comes to rotating food stocks most people eat a food item down to a certain limit and then replace that item en bulk the next time they are at the store or whenever they remember to do it. I've seen dozens of Youtube videos of people showing their food stocks and saying, "Here are my food stocks. You'll notice that these sections of xx foods are getting really low, I need to restock them soon." What happens if during the period of time that you're low on food stocks TSHTF and you've just rotated your way out of a good portion of your food rations? Given that canned foods last for so long after their expiration dates, that to me is a good reason NOT to rotate your foods.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 PM
aging

Thanked 12,276 Times in 4,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1976 View Post
I've seen dozens of Youtube videos of people showing their food stocks and saying, "Here are my food stocks. You'll notice that these sections of xx foods are getting really low, I need to restock them soon." What happens if during the period of time that you're low on food stocks TSHTF and you've just rotated your way out of a good portion of your food rations? Given that canned foods last for so long after their expiration dates, that to me is a good reason NOT to rotate your foods.
"Store what you eat/eat what you store" rotation does NOT mean that you never go to the store and let things run low. It means you use what you already keep plenty of.

Let's say you buy a case of favorite soup flavor #1, whatever it is you like, as your first prep. No matter what, money does not go down the drain because it's your favorite. No matter what, you eat this every time you get sick or it's a cold day, or just because it's Wednesday. You use up 6, but there's 18 more, you buy another case, keep using the first case. Get down to 6 being left in the first case, buy another case. You open the second case because you've used up the first one, buy #4. You use 6 cans of the second case, buy a 5th. At this point, you aren't halfway through the second case, but you have the 3rd through the 5th. Enough soup to keep you going if the store suddenly has none because the producer had to trash a bad batch.

Hopefully, during this amount of time, you also said to yourself. "This works, and I like the better price buying it in a warehouse/super-purchase/case lot store, think I will also start buying favorite food #'s 2, 3, and 4 this way also. And I really liked the rice recipe I got at work, so I might buy the 25 or 50 pound bag of rice I saw and start doing some real storage!"

Rotation just means you aren't the rube wondering if something is still good - because you're USING it all the time!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post: