Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Default Berkey filter help!!!

Advertise Here

I finally broke down and purchased a Royal Berkey water filter. I found and watched the assembly instructions on Youtube. After 2 weeks I am having some issues.

First, my water is filtering from the top to the bottom at a snails pace, i.e. if I fill the top portion at night there is still a very significant portion left there 12+ hours later. I know the water needs to filter, but it appears that something isn't correct.

Second, my seal at the spigot is leaking. I've tried tightening this several times, but it still doesn't seem to help.

I guess you can some it up as very little water is filtering through and the water that does make it is leaking out of the spigot.

HELP. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bearcub For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcub View Post
First, my water is filtering from the top to the bottom at a snails pace, i.e. if I fill the top portion at night there is still a very significant portion left there 12+ hours later. I know the water needs to filter, but it appears that something isn't correct.
This is correct behavior of any gravity assisted filter. The rate of filtering is directly related to mass of liquid (water) F=mg

I assume you have Big Berkey with 2 filters and 2 fluoride add-ons (my setup) I believe is rate 1 gallon / 6 hours. But i never get that because rate WILL slow down DRASTICALLY as half of water is filtered through ( F=mg thing again.)

Just make sure to be proactive and refill it whenever you can. It works pretty well. I usually refill before i go to bed and once during the day.

[IF you have just one filter - get the second one.
If you have 2 filters but consume lots of water - add 2 more filters for 4 total]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcub View Post
Second, my seal at the spigot is leaking. I've tried tightening this several times, but it still doesn't seem to help.
Remove all the water from the container with spigot. wrap the inside nut with some sort of material and use pliers (find the ones that fit well over the nut and material/rug) make sure to hold spigot because it may turn.

Tighten VERY conservatively to avoid damage to plastic parts [may be 1/6 turn at a time OR less.]
Test if water dripping by re-filling with regular tap water.
Repeat until stops dripping.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kolovrat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,581 Times in 28,620 Posts

Can't help with the spigot, but keeping the top full is the best way to increase the flow rate. The more filters you have, the faster it will drip. I'm assuming you primed them properly? If not, they're really slow.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Mom Walton

Thanked 2,590 Times in 885 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Can you help me too?

I bought mine in 1998. It has 2 white filters in it now, and I have 8 in storage. We tried it out back in 99 at our office, and was satisfied that it worked. Then it was emptied, dried, and put under the cabinet.

What do I do to get it ready to use again?

Have the filters changed, (improved,) since 1998? I was thinking of giving it to my father, we have a good well and don't need it. I can't find my book, and I am not sure that current on line info is correct for my 1998 model. (It is stainless.)
Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,254 Times in 542 Posts

You need to prime the filters first. Your kit should have come with three washers, two that go inside the upper chamber and one to use for priming. You take the priming washer and thread it onto the stalk that the nut goes on. Only put it on enough for it to be secure to the threads. Next, hold the filter upside down(from the installed position) and put the washer flat against your sink faucet. You have to hold it there, and you may want someone to turn the water on for you. Turn the water on, slowly at first, a little bit more in a bit. ****What you are doing is using the watter pressure to push the air out of the filters. All the tiny pockets of air are keeping the water from flowing. Very tiny pockets.**** As the filter fills up, you will see the water start to come out of the sides. As you fill, the water will start coming out higher on the filter. Once it is coming out at the part of the filter that is next to the faucet, keep it there for about another minute, then turn it upside down and dump the remailing water out. Now, put it back into the assembly and reattach everything. After you fill it, you should hear the water running in a small stream into the lower portion, or at least a fast drip. The more water you have in the top, the faster it will flow.

Dont overfill the lower chamber because it will leak everywhere.
Dont drop the filters while you are priming them. The bases on the black ones will come off fairly easily, and either one can be damaged by the impact.
If you use the PF2 or the PF4 after filters, only screw them on up to eight turns. those need a serious priming to cleatn the junk out of them.

For the leak at the spigot, do you have a washer on the inside and the outside? You should.

Let me know if you need anything else. I love those filters and have starting using the Berkey filters and building my own housings out of food grade buckets. 5 gallons at a time is nice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LEPER For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,068 Times in 6,598 Posts

I did 2 test with my royal berkey, and came to the conclusion that 2 black filters did not filter the water fast enough for my family. Its my opinion, that the berkey unit needs 4 filters to keep up with my demand. I tried the filter primed and unprimed, and nothing seemed to have changed.

We are not talking about a filter that has any pressure on it, its a slow gravity filter.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,254 Times in 542 Posts

What filters were you using, and what was your flow rate? I usually see about a gallon an hour using two of the filters in my Big Berkey. I see about the same in my homemade filter housing using one black element and the PF4 afterfilter. That setup has a five gallon top chamber though. You should be able to hear a steady stream, or at least a very fast drip when you fill the top.

The thing I like to do now is to fill the top at night and let it filter while I sleep. I use the homemade housing at work and once the water is filtered it gets transferred into a five gallon bottle that goes onto a water cooler. Seven guys, working indoors with very little labor don't kill the 5 gallon bottle in a nine hour day. I have two water bottles and use the bottom 6 gallon housing to keep the water in, if there is a surplus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LEPER For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Recent Blog:
[CaRP] Unknown document format.
Reading and Posting

Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,310 Posts

Thanks to all who replied to the first post, in relation to the spigot problem, please call the manufacturer, New Mellenium Concepts, at 888-803-4438 and if it is under warranty, it can be replaced, at no charge.

theberkeyguy
The Following User Says Thank You to theberkeyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Born to raze hell

For the home made models:

I used buckets (home depot) with the seal in the lid. I can fill the top one and the bottom one--no leaks.

For the water movement around the filters (where they go through the bottom and the lid, I used silicone caulk (sold at HD) that is also used to make or fix fish tanks. As soon as it is dried it is ok to use.

I also added a hose in the bottom bucket right at the very top. This lets air out as water drips in, and air in when I fill a pitcher with water from the spigot. (brass barbed piece and 1/8" clear hose). I caulked that too.

Ours will hold 10 gallons, no leaks.

OVC