Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Protector

Default Dehydrating, storing & shelf life for beef jerky?

Advertise Here

I just picked up a Nesco fd-27 food dehydrator at a 2nd hand shop for $8. It has 5 trays and one of the first things I want to play with is making beef jerky. I have a few questions before I get started.

My dehydrator doesn' t have a temp selector but the fan is on top of the unit. I also have taken my kid's drink pouches and prepared them to be MRE storage bags (if you haven't tried this it's great), and have about 5lbs of silica gels that I bought a few years ago to preserve the flowers after my mother's funeral.

Here are my questions:
1) How long should I dry the jerky?
2) How long will it store in no-light, mylar, heat sealed bags (juice pouches)
3) If I use the silica gel to keep the moisture out of the bags, how should I package the beads? I thought about just cutting up a bandanna and puting the beads in it - but???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to phoenixx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixx View Post
I just picked up a Nesco fd-27 food dehydrator at a 2nd hand shop for $8. It has 5 trays and one of the first things I want to play with is making beef jerky. I have a few questions before I get started.

My dehydrator doesn' t have a temp selector but the fan is on top of the unit. I also have taken my kid's drink pouches and prepared them to be MRE storage bags (if you haven't tried this it's great), and have about 5lbs of silica gels that I bought a few years ago to preserve the flowers after my mother's funeral.

Here are my questions:
1) How long should I dry the jerky?
2) How long will it store in no-light, mylar, heat sealed bags (juice pouches)
3) If I use the silica gel to keep the moisture out of the bags, how should I package the beads? I thought about just cutting up a bandanna and puting the beads in it - but???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
until its dry

dont waste ur time with bags
use a mason jar stick in oven at like 300-400 deg

take ur jerky put it in jars and put on lid while hot itl vacume seal em up pretty good and theyl last a good while
a moisture absorber might be a good thing to throw in i dunno
Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Learning

Thanked 1,640 Times in 582 Posts

As far as how long it really depends on how thick the cut of meat you use is. Remember to use lean meat with little fat as the fat can get rancid even dry. I've dried mine from 7 hours for thin strip steak to 12 hours for heavily marinated thicker cuts.

I'm interested in any advice on long term storage as well. I got this book a bit ago so I'm gonna go through it this week and see it has any advice for long term storage. I'll post back if I learn something before you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngryRed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,414 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
until its dry

dont waste ur time with bags
use a mason jar stick in oven at like 300-400 deg

take ur jerky put it in jars and put on lid while hot itl vacume seal em up pretty good and theyl last a good while
a moisture absorber might be a good thing to throw in i dunno
Why hot? Wouldnt that create moisture in the jar?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.prepper View Post
Why hot? Wouldnt that create moisture in the jar?
hot air expands so when you put the lid on and it cools it wants to condence thus creating a vacume and bacteria dont live so well in the heat rice is a good moisture absorber to throw in the jar just in case too
Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 AM
VIP Member

You may want to consider salting and smoking for short term preservation. For longer periods, I would be careful with drying as it can represent risks. Canning meat in a pressure canner is a safe technique if done properly and IMHO will yield a better product in the end as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldSchool For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Resident misanthrope

While building a dehydrator is on my "to do" list I suggest that you try salting then drying lamb(not sheep)meat.

If it was realistic to live of one staple food for the rest of my life, this would be the one I would pick...................
Old 09-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Eyes wide open

Your jerky will last until it spoils. If you dry it enough (< 0.8 aW), use the right amount of preserving additive(cure, salt, smoke), and package with VERY clean packaging(new bags, latex gloves, vacuum packaged) your jerky will last years.

Oxygen scavengers like silica work by using up any air that might still be in the bag. Make sure they are food grade, but if your vacuum packaging they won't help much.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tripletrey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Hunter

i soak the meat in red pepper and garlic and dry it till it is crisp and hard , after 2 years it was still good ? im still alive ! stored in jars just like you would put peaches in
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cj06 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,411 Times in 4,748 Posts

Do a youtube search for making jerky and how to dehydrate..
Lots of info.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,978 Times in 4,324 Posts

Alton Brown, from the Food Network program Good Eats, did a show on beef jerky once. He got into its history, how it works, how to make really GOOD jerky, and a variety of tricks you can use. Like freezing the meat you intend to cut into jerky, then letting it thaw to the point it was still firm but easy to cut so you could slice off really thin strips without too much difficulty. Here's a link to a transcript of the show

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Seaso...erky_trans.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Alton Brown, from the Food Network program Good Eats, did a show on beef jerky once. He got into its history, how it works, how to make really GOOD jerky, and a variety of tricks you can use. Like freezing the meat you intend to cut into jerky, then letting it thaw to the point it was still firm but easy to cut so you could slice off really thin strips without too much difficulty. Here's a link to a transcript of the show

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Seaso...erky_trans.htm
i just use a meat slicer like they have in the seli just smaller makes short work of that type of theing and the cuts are uniform thickness so i dont have to worry about one area drying more/less than another
Old 10-19-2010, 03:33 PM

I have been making jerky for awhile now and usually 12 hours for the nesco is what is recommended. Myself I do a ground meat jerky, and it takes about 10 hours to dehydrate it. I would suggest going to wal-mart,k-mart or target and get you a foodsaver machine there brtween 40.00 to 60.00 bucks. Dont buy premade bags they are always to big for what you need, buy the roll and cut your own. the sausage maker is a great place to get the bags in bulk cheap. You can also get bulk seasonings through them.

If you use sillica gell beads a bandana is not enough those beads are poisonous, and they may not kill you but you will have such a bad case of diarhea you will wish you were dead. If you sufficiantly dry your meat and pack them in a vac bag you do not need the silica gel.

There jars are a great idea if you are staying in your current location if that shtf sit happens. The jars are to cumbersome.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:40 PM
traveler

i usually marinate 24 hours and put them in at 130 degrees for about 8 hours. Thickness would determine how long it takes to dry, and I don't dehydrate them until they snap, just firm and dry. I also use vacuum seal bags, on the roll. I like the idea of the mason jar in the oven as posted above, it might keep a lot longer that way but I've never tried it so I don't know.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 26,085 Times in 13,651 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

If yopu freeze it, about a year. If you toss it in a mason jar and store it in a cool dry, dark place 4 months. That's the University Extension guideline.

Like Farmer John suggested, heat the mason jar and put a lid and ring on ity when you take it out (You don't want the rubber compound to melt away in the oven) and let the vacuum form as the jar cools, then store it in a cool dry place.

Biggest threat to spoilage is fat. Fat in the meat can go rancid and spoil the jerky.

Suggestion,
When you buy the meat from the grocery store, have the meat department slice it for you. Saves time ansd one less thing to clean up at home.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,311 Times in 754 Posts

It is impossible to long-term store home-made jerky. It is so delicious you will not let it go past 1-2 weeks. :D
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thePraXis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Defender of Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePraXis View Post
It is impossible to long-term store home-made jerky. It is so delicious you will not let it go past 1-2 weeks. :D
yes, ive discoverd this myself recently. ive watched an entire pound's worth of jerky disappear before my very eyes.....but it is YUMMY!

i vacuum seal mine, and was smart enough to put a few packages in the freezer. i dont let the family touch those, so i purposefully put out a bag for us to eat. it doesnt last very long....
The Following User Says Thank You to slash069 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Check out this link great artical. http://www.thebeefjerkyblog.com/beef-jerky-is-forever/
The Following User Says Thank You to crn004 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 AM

ok so how long will it last on shelf if in mylar bags if & only if i dont dig in lol
Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Dink3085

Location: Choctaw Oklahoma is my home, but I currently live on Camp Pendleton, CA.

Just out of curiosity, I saw something once that said you can get better results making beef jerky using a box fan and some air filters (happy to share more is some are interested) than with a dehydrator....something about 'dehydrating' (fan) vs. 'cooking' (dehy.) due to the heat present in commercial dehydrators. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Dink