Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 PM

Default Forend Strap

Advertise Here

I'm looking for a forend with the strap, like the Mossberg Cruiser model below. I've searched CTD, Midway, and Mossberg's own site but there's nothing. Any clue where I can get one?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,988 Times in 3,332 Posts

Yes, Hancock fabric for 1" nylon strap-$1, and home depot for two 1/2" inch wood screws-$0.50.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:36 AM

If you're not joking, I've thought about rigging my own up but I don't want to end up screwing it up and possibly messing up the pump action. Plus, I don't have the hand-to-tool grace of drilling and installing.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:06 AM
point blank

Yeah i agree with jeffrey,that would take about 10 mins to make..
Old 09-25-2010, 09:42 AM
+

Thanked 2,895 Times in 935 Posts

ebay regularly has both the forends and just the straps as well...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remington-Mossbe...item230a6333f6
Old 09-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Opinionated old fart.

It's actually pretty simple, like installing a sling stud. Just pilot hole for the screws, and make sure the screws dont poke out the back side. A basic leather punch and cigarette lighter to seal the holes on the strap. A small washer to go under the screw head would help the strap last longer too.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Troublesome.

Thanked 1,846 Times in 720 Posts

Sorry . . but I can't help but ask . .

Does your shotgun have a very slippery forend grip?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Busy infidelin'

Thanked 11,075 Times in 3,997 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I was going to be an ******* and ask had you tried the mall yet, but since I am trying not to be a douche I am going to ask why you want it?

I see no REAL tactical value in that addition.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand View Post
I was going to be an ******* and ask had you tried the mall yet, but since I am trying not to be a douche I am going to ask why you want it?

I see no REAL tactical value in that addition.
Aw c'mon, half of the accesories out there have no real effect. We have all bought stuff thinking it would be nice, cool, or just to give it a try. I could see this being helpful if you are wearing thick winter gloves, (turkey hunting in snow maybe?)
Old 09-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Zombie Hunter

I got mine on Ebay that says Boomstick. I like that I can strap it to a backpack too
Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Opinionated old fart.

I love fastex buckles and buy them by the bagfulls. Several of our slings have an added fastex buckle on the front, back, or both ends. There are some matching buckles on backpacks, shoulder straps, etc. Attach your rifle onto the shoulder straps of your BoB via Chalker straps, and receive a major ballance benefit!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:54 PM

I think I'll just buy it off ebay eventually, I don't think I could install one without messing something up. The reason why I want one is because I switched to a pistol grip and the extra leverage on the forend will help alot with pumping and retaining the grip while reducing hand/wrist fatigue.

And yes I've had many shooting sessions where I said "Man, a strap wouldn't hurt to have" especially when shooting 3" magnum loads. Why would it be mall ninja if it helps retain control of the grip?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Wait...you dont have a shoulder stock at all?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Wait...you dont have a shoulder stock at all?
I do. Knoxx telescoping, but switched to Knoxx breacher.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 3,024 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Does your shotgun have a very slippery forend grip?
If you ever get the chance, record yourself popping off a few. You'll be surprised how much that off hand slides around on that pump. Hell, you can watch vids of "experts" shooting and they often can't keep a firm grip on it, either. At most, that hand exerts a few ounces of gripping force onto that forearm....and under recoil, that don't do much.

rich
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Agreed. A shouldered weapon is much more controllable, not to mention accurate.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Troublesome.

Thanked 1,846 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
If you ever get the chance, record yourself popping off a few. You'll be surprised how much that off hand slides around on that pump. Hell, you can watch vids of "experts" shooting and they often can't keep a firm grip on it, either. At most, that hand exerts a few ounces of gripping force onto that forearm....and under recoil, that don't do much.

rich
You are describing a training issue. As a professional trainer of law enforcement folks, I can tell you conclusively that you need to seek out better quality videos.

I've have trained LOTS of small women that don't have that problem. I sure can't see why a full grown man does - unless he needs time with a professional and competent trainer.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Quote:
You are describing a training issue.
Not really, though training can help to a degree. It's a physical issue. Your body can only focus on so many things at once. I once had it demonstrated to me with a bowling ball. Stick your fingers into the holes on a bowling ball and hold it out at arms length. You can hold it a good while and have no probs. Have someone slap your face while you're holding it and it falls *every* time. I've seen countless guys all drop it, several dropped it twice even though they knew what was going to happen. Without a LOT of specific training, your brain can't process the holding of the ball and other processes at the same time and sudden physical pain overwhelms it. The same thing can be demonstrated with an old party trick. I first tried this in the mid 70's in Germany. Have the person hold a good weight out at arms length and then drop a few crystals of sugar or salt onto their tongue. They drop the weight pretty much every time. The same thing happens when you flash a bright light in their eyes. I've seen people actually wet themselves when exposed to a strobe light before. That's the same principle behind a flash bang grenade and also a strobe stun gun. It's what's happening when someone says "it's too noisy in here, I can't concentrate".

In real action, you can often see soldiers insert a mag into their weapon, pull the trigger a few times, change mags and do it again without once actually charging or firing the weapon. Bolt actions are the same....a soldier can think he's firing his weapon and at the end of the action, find a pile of unfired ammo over to his right. Shotgun shooters in competition often suffer from short stroking and double stroking for the same reason. That's why live fire exercises are so important.

You can train yourself to compensate to a degree, as in teaching yourself step by step firing sequences etc, but you can't totally do away with it. Not physically possible. There comes a time when *everyone's* brain gets overloaded and it stops processing info in the correct manner.

As I said, you can often watch the "experts" in action and still see the old slippery hand. That's why shorty weapons tend to always have hand protection on the pumps. The forearm will have a hook or a hand stop or a strap to keep the hand from being shot off by accident.

rich

Last edited by randkl; 09-28-2010 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: typos as usual
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Quote:
Not really, though training can help to a degree.
My wife read that post and told me I was crazy so she tried it. Had her hold a cantaloupe out at arms length in both hands and toss it up and down about six inches. Easy task. Whipped out the old strobe....and she's cleaning it off the floor as we speak. lol

Most everyone can do two things at once easily. The old "walk and chew gum at the same time" joke. Some can handle three. *Very* few can do four.

rich
Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

The strap seems a novelty, but some like them alot. It is okay and I can take it or leave it. Very easy to add and the factory one is just four black screw with washers. The fabric store is a cheap way to get a good quality strap for cheap.