Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 PM

Default Best price for Quik Clot or similar?

Advertise Here

I'd like some of this for my 1st aid kit but it's all so expensive. Anybody find it cheap?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Irrelevant Member

It's been awhile since I bought it but I got it from Best Glide Aviation.

It's in this section
http://www.bestglide.com/Medical_and_Protection.html
Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM

I've never used this stuff before so I am open for learning. Wouldn't the powder be best, and the most economical? Pour on what you need, save the rest? Or could I just do the same for the gauze: Cut off what is needed.

I'm primarily looking at this for home use. My wife sliced the top of her finger the other month and it took a really long time to get the blood stopped. Pouring on some powder would have staunched it in seconds.

So...powder or gauze and why?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Preparing for tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho5 View Post
I've never used this stuff before so I am open for learning. Wouldn't the powder be best, and the most economical? Pour on what you need, save the rest? Or could I just do the same for the gauze: Cut off what is needed.

I'm primarily looking at this for home use. My wife sliced the top of her finger the other month and it took a really long time to get the blood stopped. Pouring on some powder would have staunched it in seconds.

So...powder or gauze and why?
Gauze. Then you can put pressure on the wound and that together with the Quikclot will stop the bleeding.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neosurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,579 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosurvivalist View Post
Gauze. Then you can put pressure on the wound and that together with the Quikclot will stop the bleeding.
I couldn't echo that enough. Quick Clot and the like is not magic pixie dust.

If you ever have a serious wound, particularly in an extremity, you need to put pressure on it, and in particular before you use quick clot put pressure on the veins and arteries feeding the bleeding.

If you have a gusher and you pour quick clot on it, it is just going to wash the magic dust away before it has time to work.

I know this sounds like crazy talk for all of you who saw quick clot for the first time in SHooter. And speaking of that, never get quick clot in your mouth or your in for a bit of a bad day.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,115 Times in 2,054 Posts

Remember that scene in "Shooter?" The one where he steals the FBI agent's cruiser and then cuts through the back seat while he is going through the car wash, reaches in, grabs the trauma kit, pulls out the QC, tears it open with his teeth and dumps it on both wounds - even does a little screaming to emulate the chemical burn?

What bravo sierra huh.

Then they take it even further and do the whole turkey basting needle, rubber hose and plastic bag, sugar water IV from the Napoleonic Wars bit ... whew.

Crazy stuff huh.

Hollywood just refuses to keep it simple, succinct and accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,425 Times in 4,029 Posts

First for small cuts you can get at alot of sporting goods stores you can get the gauze and sponge quick clots for around 10 dollars each. We have those we also use a powder we get from tractor supplies and other places that deal with horses. They sell powders like http://www.agri-med.com/site/255063/product/BLDSTP-16
or http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCgQ8wIwBA# We started using them for our dogs and had a problem and I needed to stop the blood they work great. It works like the old steptic powdeers .
They are sold for animals but we have been using them for over 15 years and never use them for big wounds. For that we just use the celox or quick clot. As far as the celox being washed away as Mike sugested you actually wait until you lose blood pressure before you apply it. Heres a vidio but 2 warnings it is very grafic and 2nd you have to be an adult on youtube to watch it it will ask you to prove you are over 18 if you are not already singed up as such. but it is graffic.

http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...%3DKn63UeF577Q
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rascals For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 01:58 PM

I bought mine from my vet. When it's for a dog it seems to be a lot cheaper. I don't recall what I paid but I know it was cheap.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkprink View Post
I bought mine from my vet. When it's for a dog it seems to be a lot cheaper. I don't recall what I paid but I know it was cheap.
After paying $5 for a small jar of Quikstop, my friend found out you can use powdered sulfur and it's much cheaper. I don't think this is what the OP was referring to however.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,115 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie357 View Post
After paying $5 for a small jar of Quikstop, my friend found out you can use powdered sulfur and it's much cheaper. I don't think this is what the OP was referring to however.
Not quite the same thing - but I hear what you are saying. We've used sulfur on dogs for decades. Matter of fact, as an antibiotic, if you mix sulfur and bacon grease it'll get in their system and work as a sulfur drug as well.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:37 AM

When a lot of people said they could not find QC, I bought some from EMS and REI. Both carry the gauze.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:48 AM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,832 Times in 1,714 Posts

e bay $15 for gauze
Old 09-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Crazy old man

Cool

Quik Clot is a great item, but has some inherent dangers with its use. If I remember right you have to make sure the person you're fixing to use it on does not have an allergy to shellfish, because it has ground up shellfish shells. I've been told they can't create heat can cause a severe burn if not used properly. One of my EMT buddies was trying to explain to me when I was thinking about buying some. He suggested keeping a lot of gauze around and pressure bandages. In less you're a military corpsman I think I would opt to using pressure bandages and gauze.