Survivalist Forum banner

Hot wasr 10/63

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  fragout 
#1 ·
Bought a WASR 10/63 a month ago and I love it. Didn't even need to sight in the battle setting on the rear sight, as I was already posting bullseyes with my first shots. However, my last outing I put 4 boxes through it and it was unbelievably hot. I didn't bump fire and I shot the 80 rounds over about an hour and a half. My dad's AK gets pretty warm, but never so hot that it can't be handled or that it smokes just sitting there.

Is this normal and if not is there anything I can do to remedy the problem?

#5 ·
Ive seen that video and it is a shame what this guy did to that weapon. I am a gun guy like just about everyone else here. I prefer the AR, but also have an AK and like it too.

As for the OP's question about the AK getting hot. I have shot many different versions of the AK and they ALL seemed to get hot, check out the handguard on your Dad's AK, maybe it a more solid type of wood? Maybe search and see if anyone makes AK handgurds with a heat shield like on AR's.

#13 ·
Yep, just gotta suck it up and keep your hand on the handguard, and nowhere else. lol

A donkey **** grip would be good as well... I'd actually like to get one of those and chop it down to where it's similar to a Magpul AFG and try it out...

But no, there's nothing wrong with your gun thats just the nature of the beast.

#14 ·
Bought a WASR 10/63 a month ago and I love it. Didn't even need to sight in the battle setting on the rear sight, as I was already posting bullseyes with my first shots. However, my last outing I put 4 boxes through it and it was unbelievably hot. I didn't bump fire and I shot the 80 rounds over about an hour and a half. My dad's AK gets pretty warm, but never so hot that it can't be handled or that it smokes just sitting there.

Is this normal and if not is there anything I can do to remedy the problem?

As others have said, gloves, Have you tried using the magazine as a forward grip?

#17 ·
i dunno, maybe get used to it? all centerfire guns get pretty warm to hot after a few shots. my mosin gets hot enough to burn me after 15 shots. for the wasr i just learned not to touch parts not protected by a hand guard. If I dumped 20 rds thru my rifle the front sight can get hot enough to vaporize water on contact (using wet towel) and it takes more than 20 minutes to have it cool off before its only just warm to the touch.

another thing, maybe space out your shots a little? # of rounds doesn't really matter, if you don't like the gun hot then really space out the time between shots. that just slows down the amount of heat that builds up.

I also believe in excessively oiling the bore, you know most of that heat is from friction. I use a mix of petroleum jelly (20%) and lithium grease (80%) hoping to cut down the friction in the bore. I dunno if that really works. I think the gun shoots a bit cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.