Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM

Default Buckshot or slugs through a screw-in choke?

Advertise Here

I just found this advice on the internet and am wondering if it is true of all shotguns with screw-in chokes, or does it spell out such restrictions in each gun's owner's manual?
"Slugs and buckshot should not be shot through both tight (improved modified, full, or extra full) fixed chokes or any type of screw-in choke; you are likely to damage the gun."
Found this on the Mossberg site.
Maverick® and Mossberg® choke tubes are interchangeable. Both Accu-Choke™ and Accu-Mag™ tubes handle lead, steel and all other non-toxic loads. Each choke tube is marked with a shot patterning designation as a guide. Patterns can vary depending on ammunition brand, load, and shot size.
Slugs may be fired through choke tubes except those with X-Full constrictions or designated "Turkey tubes". Generally, open choke tube constrictions will produce more consistently accurate groups. The "Improved Cylinder" tube is a popular choice for slug shooting.
The Mossberg Maverick that I am interested in comes with a screw-in modified choke.
So, do I assume 00 buckshot or slugs are ok for it?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Love My Husky/Samoyed

Thanked 13,559 Times in 4,848 Posts

They actually make a screw in Rifled Choke, so I'de say a screw in Cylinder Choke would be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungleboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2010, 04:18 PM

I'll be checking with the gun shop tomorrow, before I buy the gun. Thanx
Old 09-20-2010, 04:50 PM
+

Thanked 2,895 Times in 935 Posts

The gun shop will tell you the same thing it says on Mavericks website. The Maverick will come with a modified choke that will be stamped "MOD". And as it says on their website, you can shoot birdshot, buckshot, or rifled slugs...
Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitouwadge View Post
I just found this advice on the internet and am wondering if it is true of all shotguns with screw-in chokes, or does it spell out such restrictions in each gun's owner's manual?
"Slugs and buckshot should not be shot through both tight (improved modified, full, or extra full) fixed chokes or any type of screw-in choke; you are likely to damage the gun."
Found this on the Mossberg site.
Maverick® and Mossberg® choke tubes are interchangeable. Both Accu-Choke™ and Accu-Mag™ tubes handle lead, steel and all other non-toxic loads. Each choke tube is marked with a shot patterning designation as a guide. Patterns can vary depending on ammunition brand, load, and shot size.
Slugs may be fired through choke tubes except those with X-Full constrictions or designated "Turkey tubes". Generally, open choke tube constrictions will produce more consistently accurate groups. The "Improved Cylinder" tube is a popular choice for slug shooting.
The Mossberg Maverick that I am interested in comes with a screw-in modified choke.
So, do I assume 00 buckshot or slugs are ok for it?
The traditional Forster style slugs shot through a smooth bore shotgun barrel are the type they are talking about. You shouldn't shoot any saboted slug through a non-rifled barrel. IC (Improved Cylinder) choke tubes or Cylinder bore are best for these old style slugs. There are also rifled choke tubes that add a little spin to the old style slugs but are not suited to saboted slugs. YMMV. Probably will.

If you buy a Mossberg rifled shotgun barrel you should shoot saboted slugs. Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 5,934 Times in 2,312 Posts

You can shoot anything you want through that Maverick. Just don't put an X-full turkey choke on it.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,373 Posts

Generally slugs give better accuracy out of an open smoothbore choke. "Rifled" Foster-type slugs are made to shoot through a smooth bore and do well in them, whereas sabot slugs are made to shoot through a rifled choke tube, or even a rifled barrel, and do very well through those. Use whichever applies to the ammo you're shooting.
As for buckshot, again generally more open chokes gives better patterns and tighter chokes causes uneven patterns with holes and fliers. As a rule of thumb a cylinder bore choke will give about 1" of pattern spread for every yard of range from the muzzle.
Using tight chokes for slugs or large shot, especially buckshot, creats a serious risk of having the choke tube deform in the barrel, strip the threads, bulge the barrel, or other bad things happen. I'd use nothing tighter than Imp. Cyl. for slugs and buckshot. Rifled tubes and barrels actually are cylinder bore, having no choke, and give lousy pattern with regular shot due to the centrifugal spin imparted by the rifling radically opening the pattern.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,134 Times in 963 Posts

.......no slugs or buckshot through any type of screw in choke huh? I have 8 shotguns that beg to differ. Amazing the crap you can find in print on the net. And yes you can shoot saboted slugs through a smooth bore. It's just dam expensive for no reason. Rifled choke tubes are for saboted rounds-----not the foster type. Still worthless though.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 AM

Well, thanks for the clarification and all of the good advice.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,330 Times in 3,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
You can shoot anything you want through that Maverick. Just don't put an X-full turkey choke on it.
Just make sure you at least put another, screw in choke in place or else you'll ruin your threads which is all the Cylinder tube is because choke means construction and there isn't any on a straight walled tube.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 PM
My Dixie Wrecked

Thanked 16,702 Times in 4,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
I agree, I've shot both buck and slugs with all my chokes including FULL, just don't go to super full, x-full or any of the other special type chokes.

You do want to try all your chokes for best shot pattern or accuracy using slugs. One word of advice.....when using heavy loads, whether weight of load or powder charge...do yourself a favor and check your choke and make sure it is screwed in tight.

Some tend to shoot loose!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Immortal

Thanked 1,521 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
I agree, I've shot both buck and slugs with all my chokes including FULL, just don't go to super full, x-full or any of the other special type chokes.
maybe not all chokes/guns/slugs are the same, but I have fired slugs through a full choke with no problems.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Scout Motto - Be Prepared

I was waiting for Seek Her to say that there is no such thing as cyliner choke, just cylinder bore.

I have only shot (rifled) slugs through IC and Mod chokes with decent accuracy.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Dan View Post
I was waiting for Seek Her to say that there is no such thing as cyliner choke, just cylinder bore.

I have only shot (rifled) slugs through IC and Mod chokes with decent accuracy.
Too late, me boyo, look at my post #10!

If people want to go around saying stupid things, especially with all the anti gun hysteria generated by the hoplophobes, then they have to be corrected as those errors get compounded in the media--which doesn't know its ass from any scope mounted rifle they call a sniper rifle.

Unless, you have uniformity in language--definitions nearly the same--then you open yourself wide open to ridicule by those that do and even those that don't as they can and will perpetuate the fallacies.

A cylinder is a straight walled tube, therefore there is no constriction, henceforth not a choke.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,335 Times in 1,870 Posts

Quote:
Go back to that site and tell that 13 year old sissy not to write any more posts relating to guns till he learns a little bit about them. Next time go to the shotgun forum and do a search on slugs and chokes and you will find more threads about it than you can shake a stick at.

Extra full and super full, (turkey choke) slugs are a no. If it is an old gun with an old style choke it may not be a good idea to shoot through the full choke, Question about buckshot is it depends on the gun. In my Mossberg buckshot and full choke are fine. Out of my H&R buckshot has a terrible pattern with a hole in it big enough for a raccoon to walk through but any shot up to #3 shot works well.

IM choke and slugs at 60 yards shot offhand as fast as I could shoot the gun:

Shot from a rest out to 100 yards the group is almost that tight. Yep, it's a screw in choke and it works just fine thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 PM

I have an 835 mossburg, I removed the choke and added a screw on muzzle brake and I wanted to know if there is any reason I shouldnt shoot slugs from this gun.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Moss 835 are "Overbored" do not shoot any slug in them.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckh1 View Post
Moss 835 are "Overbored" do not shoot any slug in them.
SO WHAT?

That has to do with the chamber and pattern performance (and some recoil reduction) not what goes down the barrel itself...Most shotguns today are overbored and some are backbored and have their forcing cones lengthened and polished as well.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM

Actually, "most" American shotguns are pretty consistent at a .730" bore diameter. The Mossberg 835 and a few others are overbored to .770"ish, or almost 10 gauge for recoil reduction and pattern performance of heavy 3&1/2" waterfowl loads. There are slug barrels available for the 835 that are not overbored and only chamber 3" max.

Some fear that a slug may become "cocked" in the oversized bore. Don't have any data to support that is a safety concern, but it sure can't be good for accuracy.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM

I have shot 3 inch sabot slugs out of my breach break H R single smooth bore without any trouble. Other than a bruised shoulder...lol