Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum > Edible & Non-Edible Plants
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Target Shooter

Default Honeysuckles

Advertise Here

Kev's thread has some nice pics and descriptions of this plant.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=10101

Does anyone know what parts are eatable or poisonious? The nutritional value of it? Medical uses? Any thing else that a survivalist would want to know?

The only thing I know about it is you can sometimes suck the nectar out of it and it is sweet but that to me is more trouble than it is worth if you are doing it for survival purposes.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 AM
This is a great survival forum

Well, three things....

First, this picture is of a tree, the most common honeysuckle with the edible nectar is a vine.

Next, this is why the scientific name of a plant is so important. The common name for the plant Kev put up could be "wild honeysuckle" but it might be an azalea, Rhododendron canescens, a different family which is toxic (he hasn't ID it yet for us.) My guess is it is a Lonicera maackii, (bush honeysuckle or amur honeysuckle) which is not reported edible either. I personally don't know. It's sometimes hard to ID some trees from pictures because in species that have similar blossom one looks at the bark, leaf shape and location to help identification.) The honeysuckle vine (Lonicera japonica) has some edible nectar, and the Japanese use the leaves for tea. The only honeysuckle I know that has good tasting edible fruit is Lonicera villosa, which grows throughout North American. There may be more but that is the only one I know of.

Third... the honeysuckle family sits on the cusp of edibility/toxicity, the berries of some North American species are edible and others lean towards toxic. European version are usually poisonous. The bark of Lonicera however, will make you throw up if you need to and reportedly an expectorant and a laxative can be made from the Loniceras.

Last edited by Zorba; 05-12-2008 at 10:10 AM..
Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Well, three things....

First, this picture is of a tree, the most common honeysuckle with the edible nectar is a vine.

Next, this is why the scientific name of a plant is so important. The common name for the plant Kev put up could be "wild honeysuckle" but it might be an azalea, Rhododendron canescens, a different family which is toxic (he hasn't ID it yet for us.) My guess is it is a Lonicera maackii, (bush honeysuckle or amur honeysuckle) which is not reported edible either. I personally don't know. It's sometimes hard to ID some trees from pictures because in species that have similar blossom one looks at the bark, leaf shape and location to help identification.) The honeysuckle vine (Lonicera japonica) has some edible nectar, and the Japanese use the leaves for tea. The only honeysuckle I know that has good tasting edible fruit is Lonicera villosa, which grows throughout North American. There may be more but that is the only one I know of.

Third... the honeysuckle family sits on the cusp of edibility/toxicity, the berries of some North American species are edible and others lean towards toxic. European version are usually poisonous. The bark of Lonicera however, will make you throw up if you need to and reportedly an expectorant and a laxative can be made from the Loniceras.
Wow, I didn't realize they were that many different species of honeysuckles. The kind that grows in my area is the vine and I suck the nectar out of it.