Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-11-2008, 10:39 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,939 Times in 12,712 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default Multi-Vitamin Shelf Life

Advertise Here

I was wondering if there are and brands of multi-vitamins with a shelf life longer than one year. Actually, I already know of one but I'm wondering if there are others. I am a big fan of quality vitamin and mineral supplements considering the fact that most store bought foods are sorely lacking in good nutrition. I have several different brands sitting on my shelf right now. I looked at the "use by" dates on all of them and almost all have a 1-year shelf life...except for one. Nature's Plus Source of Life is a potent multi-vitamin and mineral complex with whole food concentrated ingredients. The "use by" date is 06/11 and I've had them for several months now. That means that they have a shelf life of about 4 years. That's not too bad.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I am His Willing Servant

Thanked 2,210 Times in 920 Posts

IMO, the longer the shelf life, the higher the possibility it has extra additives. Closely check the ingredients. Nature's Plus is the only long shelf life one that I've seen that doesn't have all that extra junk in it. Also, you can refrigerate them for a little longer on the shelf life
The Following User Says Thank You to 4giv3n1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 AM
I drink your milkshake!

I have noticed that the "family-size" containers from Costco usually have a longer expiration date than the smaller individuals bottles from the local drugstore.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:30 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,931 Times in 1,681 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

One thing to remember, is that since vitamins are not regulated (Yet, thank the Lord) that just because they have a certain percentage of a vitamin listed on the label, it does not mean that is actually the amount, in the product..

I usually look here, to check out products.>>

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/index.asp

Note, you have to subscribe to it, but we have used it for some time.

Last edited by Ammo; 05-12-2008 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: Add note
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ammo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,185 Times in 606 Posts

I stock a years worth assuming we each take one per day. In a crisis, I would back off to one every 2 or 3 days depending on how long I thing I would need them to last. The date on my bottles are a little over a year.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 AM
comfortably numb

My understanding is that they don't go "bad" after the expiration date, rather, they just loose their potency...provided they've been stored properly.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Target Shooter

Don't take vitamins just for the sake of taking vitamins. You should certainly only take them if you know (or suspect for some reason) that you are deficient in something. I thought that I would be "healthy" taking a simple multi-vitamin and ended up in the hospital with Kidney stones surgically removed. The doctor waved his finger in my face and said "NEVER TAKE VITAMINS UNLESS YOUR DOC TELLS YOU TO".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macmonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4giv3n1 View Post
IMO, the longer the shelf life, the higher the possibility it has extra additives. Closely check the ingredients. Nature's Plus is the only long shelf life one that I've seen that doesn't have all that extra junk in it. Also, you can refrigerate them for a little longer on the shelf life
I was a bit concerned that there may be a bunch of preservatives in Nature's Plus. I try to mix the various brands so that if there is any particularly toxic ingredient I won't take it on a daily basis. Flawed logic perhaps but it seems to be working so far. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I love this forum

good info ty
Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
I stock a years worth assuming we each take one per day. In a crisis, I would back off to one every 2 or 3 days depending on how long I thing I would need them to last. The date on my bottles are a little over a year.
I generally mix and match and I try to stretch out my supplies for as long as possible. I rarely take the suggested dosage only because I assume that the recommendation is for those who are sorely suffering from a vitamin defficiency. Since I do eat some fresh veggies and fruits, I feel that I can get by taking less vitamins and still get the benefits. They're too expensive these days.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 PM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 

Good information for you vitamin addicts.

Vitamin facts, not from a scholarly source but the information is still GTG.
http://www.causeof.org/vitamins.htm

Antibiotics and vitamins
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=172774
Old 05-15-2008, 10:55 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

What if a strong vitamin advocate is a Medical Doctor? I listen to a lot of AM radio and I like to listen to various talk shows including those that discuss GMO, food additives, preservatives, pesticides, herbicides, vitamins, minerals, and plethora of related topics. What if a learned Doctor (off of the grid so-to-speak) is the very source who recommends taking supplements? Since far more people in the US die as a result of doctor error than die of gunshot wounds, should I really trust an on-th-grid sort of doctor?
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 AM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
What if a strong vitamin advocate is a Medical Doctor? I listen to a lot of AM radio and I like to listen to various talk shows including those that discuss GMO, food additives, preservatives, pesticides, herbicides, vitamins, minerals, and plethora of related topics. What if a learned Doctor (off of the grid so-to-speak) is the very source who recommends taking supplements? Since far more people in the US die as a result of doctor error than die of gunshot wounds, should I really trust an on-th-grid sort of doctor?
I know doctors who strongly suggest a colonoscopy, that donít mean Iím running out to get one done.

Not all healthcare providers are created equal.

Some, I scratch my head and wonder, how the hell they made it as far as they did.

Some, are sell outs to big pharmacy/surgery/insurance.

But some, yes some are worth their weight in gold. They know why they are there; they study their field to keep up with the latest and greatest techniques. They know what works and what wont and most importantly, why it wonít or will work.

Learn the differnce between them and your life will be much easier and happier.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocYoung For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 PM

I agree that they don't go bad. I've stocked some up for 4 years at a time, and they still are good to comsume provided that they have been stored correctly
Old 06-06-2008, 06:07 AM

Most vitamins, once opened deteriorate kinda quick. B-vitamins quicker than others, the stench can be a good indicator. Off the top of my head, don't think there is anything very HARMFUL, just significant decrease in potency
G8RRPH
Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Protector

try drinking a glass of green vibrance once a day in a week you will feel amazing.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter11 View Post
I agree that they don't go bad. I've stocked some up for 4 years at a time, and they still are good to comsume provided that they have been stored correctly
If you are planning a SHTF situation, buy the longest expiration jars and buy SMALL jars. Don;t go for the JUMBO size cos it is cheaper by the hundreds. Everytime you open the lid to get a pill, more moisture gets in and robs the pills of their potency. If stored properly (and SEALED airtight) they can last a while.

Then rotate the old jar (to use) and replenish your stocks with new ones.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 AM

Well, I wouldn't think if you are taking a particular brand consistently that you would need it to last more than a year. I typically get 3 months supply of supplements at a time. I would also agree that if it has a very long shelf life, it probably has more preservatives in it. After finishing up what you already have, I would look into one brand of multi that you like and can stick with. I found a brand called Rainbow Light that makes food based multivitamins. These digest and absorb into the body more easily than the synthetic ones. I can't say what the shelf life is because I just ran out and need to order more. But they are great.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 PM
This is a great survival forum

A little advice for you vitamin takers. Unless you are taking vitamins that are time released, or that have an enteric coating you are p***ing your money away literally.

Last edited by Warmachine; 07-29-2009 at 07:07 PM..
Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,560 Times in 2,804 Posts

Vitamins and Minerals: What You Should Know

This information was developed as part of an educational program made possible by an unrestricted educational grant from McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals.

What are vitamins?

Vitamins are natural substances found in plants and animals. Your body uses these substances to stay healthy and support its many functions. There are two types of vitamins: water-soluble and fat-soluble.
Return to top

What are water-soluble vitamins?

Water-soluble vitamins are easily absorbed by your body. Unlike fat-soluble vitamins, they don’t have to be absorbed using bile acids (fluids used to digest fats). Your body doesn’t store large amounts of water-soluble vitamins. The water-soluble vitamins you don’t need are removed by your kidneys and come out in your urine. Download the PDF file below for more about water-soluble vitamins.

PDF File

Download the Water-soluble Vitamins Chart (PDF file: 2 pages / 17 KB. More about PDFs.)

Return to top

What are fat-soluble vitamins?

Your body has to use bile acids to absorb fat-soluble vitamins. Once these vitamins are absorbed, your body stores them in body fat. When you need them, your body takes them out of storage to be used. Download the PDF file below for more information about fat-soluble vitamins. Eating fats or oils that are not digested can cause shortages of fat-soluble vitamins. This includes using mineral oil frequently to treat constipation or eating the fat substitute Olestra.

PDF File

Download the Fat-soluble Vitamins Chart (PDF file: 1 page / 14 KB. More about PDFs.)

Return to top

What are minerals?

Minerals come from the earth or from water. Plants and animals absorb them to get nutrients. Download the PDF file below for a few details about the major minerals.

PDF File

Download the Minerals Chart (PDF file: 2 pages / 16 KB. More about PDFs.)

Return to top

Do I need to take vitamin and mineral pills?

The best way to get the vitamins and minerals your body needs is from the food you eat. Most people don’t need to take additional vitamin and mineral supplements. You should never take extra vitamins and minerals without talking to your doctor first. However, your doctor may suggest taking extra vitamins or minerals if you have certain health problems. You also may need more vitamins and minerals at certain times in your life, such as the following:

• If you are a woman and are trying to get pregnant, your doctor will likely suggest you take a pill that contains folic acid. Women who don't get enough folic acid during pregnancy are more likely to have a baby with neural tube defects (serious problems of the brain or spinal cord). It's important to take folic acid before becoming pregnant because these problems develop very early in pregnancy.
  • If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, your doctor may suggest that you take a prenatal mineral and vitamin pill that includes iron to protect you against anemia, calcium to keep your bones strong and folic acid.
  • If you’re a woman and are at risk of osteoporosis, your doctor may suggest that you take a calcium supplement to support the health of your bones.
  • If you eat a vegetarian or vegan diet (a diet that limits the animal products you eat), your doctor may suggest that you take a vitamin B12 supplement.
Return to top

Can vitamin and mineral pills be dangerous?

Vitamins and minerals aren’t dangerous unless you get too much of them. It would be hard to “overdose” on vitamins or minerals that you get from the foods you eat. But if you take supplements, you can easily take too much. This is even more of a risk if you take fat-soluble vitamins.

Sometimes, taking too much of a vitamin or mineral can lead to problems such as the side effects listed in the charts above (available as PDF files). Taking too much can also cause problems with some medical tests or get in the way of how some drugs work. It’s very important to talk with your doctor before you take any vitamin and mineral pills, especially if you take prescription medicines, have any health problems or are elderly.

Return to top
More Information

OTC GuideReturn to top

Printer-friendly version
Email this page
Make text bigger

Spanish / EspaŮol

Source

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff.
American Academy of Family Physicians
Reviewed/Updated: 12/06
Created: 09/04

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...cines/863.html

http://www.mamashealth.com/nutrition/vitamin.asp

once you open a bottle they will begin to lose effectiveness so if your going to stock up buy small bottles. when i buy i buy at this time of the year, at puritans prides. they have a summer special buy 1 get 2 free so i buy 1 bottle with around 100 tables and they give me 2 more bottles im set for about a year and i have watched their prices they dont raise the price when they have this sale.

i would think if they are unopened 2-3 years would be ok ,even past that would be ok, they just may slowly begin lose their effectiveness.

http://www.puritan.com/?AFID=11&SAFI...TP-5CQ8P-PRVJ2

Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 07-30-2009 at 09:01 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post: