Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Road Trip!!!

Default how do I know if 02 absorbers are any good

Advertise Here

I am sealing flour on 8 x 12 mylar. I am putting in a 500cc absorber into each. They are a new batch of absorbers that I just opened. It has been about 10 hours and the packages still have not hardened up. I sealed up some farina last week and they hardended up faster then this. Maybe flour holds more oxygen in between and it will take longer.

Thanks
BIH
Old 09-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Prepared

I keep mine in a glass jar and if they get hard (the absorber) or get chunks in them I throw them away. Leave one out and feel the difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimp111 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 3,800 Times in 1,173 Posts

Only 20% of the air is oxygen, so if you didn't get as much air out as possible, that could be the reason it didn't harden up.
My question is, why are you sealing flour in Mylar as opposed to just vacuum sealing it ?
Flour doesn't store long term very well anyway. I would just use a vacuum sealer and save the Mylar for the grains and beans. JMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 34,043 Times in 8,315 Posts

There should be a tiny package inside the O2 bag that contains a tiny red tablet. As long as it's red, they're OK, but the tablet will turn blue if they've been exposed to oxygen and gone bad. I used to put the tablet inside whatever container I put my extra O2's.
Also, some of my stuff tightened up very quickly, while some others took till the next day. I used to also get a little freaked out when they took a while.
If you seal them in a jar, it's a good idea to put something else inside to displace the air,( something like rice works well ) because they will absorb whatever oxygen is still in the container.
Also, you're generally going to have plenty O2's left over, so I always put one or two extra inside the mylar bag, especially if the O2's were a little old and I was concerned about their condition.
But, to answer your main question, once they been opened and re-sealed, without the little red tablet, I don't think you can be sure. I've thrown old ones away a couple times just 'cause I didn't trust them. It was cheaper and less trouble than re-doing a whole load of mylar bags.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Road Trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Warrior View Post
Only 20% of the air is oxygen, so if you didn't get as much air out as possible, that could be the reason it didn't harden up.
My question is, why are you sealing flour in Mylar as opposed to just vacuum sealing it ?
Flour doesn't store long term very well anyway. I would just use a vacuum sealer and save the Mylar for the grains and beans. JMHO

That sort of deals with a question I have had. Can you reuse bags with a vacumm sealer. I went the mylar and absorber route because they seal longer and they can be reused. Also, my friend ruined his vacumm sealer by sucking in the flour.

Thanks
BIH
Old 09-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Road Trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
There should be a tiny package inside the O2 bag that contains a tiny red tablet. As long as it's red, they're OK, but the tablet will turn blue of they've been exposed to oxygen and gone bad. I used to put the tablet inside whatever container I put my extra O2's.
Also, some of my stuff tightened up very quickly, while some others took till the next day. I used to also get a little freaked out when they took a while.
If you seal them in a jar, it's a good idea to put something else inside to displace the air,( something like rice works well ) because they will absorb whatever oxygen is still in the container.
Also, you're generally going to have plenty O2's left over, so I always put one or two extra inside the mylar bag, especially if the O2's were a little old and I was concerned about their condition.
But, to answer your main question, once they been opened and re-sealed, without the little red tablet, I don't think you can be sure. I've thrown old ones away a couple times just 'cause I didn't trust them. It was cheaper and less trouble than re-doing a whole load of mylar bags.

Unless I missed it my package of absorbers didn't have this tablet.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,601 Times in 7,716 Posts

It may just take longer for them to draw tight as you may not have squeezed enough air out of the bag.

Also, the oxygen among the flour particles must migrate to the O2 absorber and that will take time. You might turn the packages over or some such. I've had some packages that took over a day to draw tight.

Another thing I thought of is whether, once you used the O2 packs last week, you sealed them in something to prevent their O2 absorption abilities from being used up.

What did you do with them last week when you used them? What did you store the extras in? I store mine in mylar; others use jars (and displacing as much air as you can when you store them is important).

When I open a bag of 50 O2 absorbers I immediately subdivide them into smaller packages. I have enough extra mylar from a few failed experiments that I just seal them in mylar bags.

And I agree that flour isn't the best thing to store in mylar. You'd be better off storing wheat berries and getting a mill.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,601 Times in 7,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandhikers View Post
Unless I missed it my package of absorbers didn't have this tablet.
Some have it, some don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 3,800 Times in 1,173 Posts

Quote:
That sort of deals with a question I have had. Can you reuse bags with a vacumm sealer. I went the mylar and absorber route because they seal longer and they can be reused. Also, my friend ruined his vacumm sealer by sucking in the flour. Thanks
BIH
I have use my vacuum sealer for flour, you just can't fill the bag to the brim, leave three to four inches extra, and get as much of the air out before you vacuum and seal.
I have used the bags more than once. When you cut the bag open to use the flour, fold the sides down a few inches so when you pour the flour out, it does not get all over the lip of the bag to interfere with resealing.
When I open a package of 50 - O2 absorbers, I divide them into packs of four and vacuum seal the smaller packs. I seal them in 4s because I use 4 - 500cc packs per 5 gal. bucket. I have not had a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,397 Times in 32,604 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I am sealing flour on 8 x 12 mylar. I am putting in a 500cc absorber into each. They are a new batch of absorbers that I just opened. It has been about 10 hours and the packages still have not hardened up. I sealed up some farina last week and they hardended up faster then this. Maybe flour holds more oxygen in between and it will take longer.

Thanks
BIH
Remember, they absorb O2, not "air". There might be more overall air in the flour pack, so while the O2 has been absorbed, the pack still has enough nitrogen in it that it won't harden. If you used enough O2 absorbers for the amount of air in the pack, it'll be protected.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: