Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: Your opinions on air guns for survival?
Yes, they are useful 365 81.29%
No, they are a waste 46 10.24%
Undecided 38 8.46%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2008, 06:17 PM

Question Air Gun for Survival

Advertise Here

What are your veiws on air guns for survival?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rathunter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2008, 06:36 PM
delta squad

good to have one on hand, if u have to u can make your own ammo
Old 05-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Modern Day Nessmuk

I think they are useful, Especially for younger people Like I, who without their parents, cannot purchase a Rifle. Ammo is VERY cheap. It is also useful if you can get an Airgun, if your country does not allow actual rifles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Giguere For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2008, 06:50 PM
I love this forum

i really wanna get a good one, but for 200 dollars i can get a real gun so its hard. maybe ill buy a sub-$100 air rifle for shooting birds and frogs quietly when i need food. i have an air pistol but it requires co2 canisters and they leak out if let sit, so its not of much use really. not very accurate either.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groberts76 View Post
i really wanna get a good one, but for 200 dollars i can get a real gun so its hard. maybe ill buy a sub-$100 air rifle for shooting birds and frogs quietly when i need food. i have an air pistol but it requires co2 canisters and they leak out if let sit, so its not of much use really. not very accurate either.
If I were you I would purchase a Benjamin 392. They are like $140s, and they pump action. Also they last a very long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to rathunter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Woman Hater

Thanked 1,425 Times in 491 Posts

I use an old crossman 2100. One doesn't need a fancy shooter for an air rifle. I've nailed everything from tree rats to turkeys...yes, you read that right. Such rifles are low key, produce low noise (so you don't have to worry about giving away your position), and you'll have food for the night.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BuckBall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathunter View Post
If I were you I would purchase a Benjamin 392. They are like $140s, and they pump action. Also they last a very long time.
Read my mind...

The real "good ones" cost more then a new Remington 700
Old 05-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Watchin tha world go by

Thanked 8,825 Times in 3,566 Posts

nice to have, but would be an after other needed weapons else purchase
Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Programmer @ asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
nice to have, but would be an after other needed weapons else purchase
they are a tool, not unlike the hatchet, axe, maul, etc you have, but i personally still think they are an excellent tool for the job intended.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirtyHowi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2008, 01:22 PM

Default Survival Airgun

Here is my survival airgun, already doing what it is intended to do:
Ammo is virtually unlimited, as it shoots easily cast lead ball ammo. Once you have run out of lead, it will shoot homemade darts and arrows. Combined with poisons (now illegal, but when tshtf, who cares?), you can bring down much larger game. With the dorky airpack, you can get 8 really good power shots before needing to repump. All you need to recharge is a good quality bicycle pump, preferably one that is repairable.
Barrels are easily changed, giving you a range of killing power. With the .375 barrel, it produces 60 fpe. Using a .58 cal barrel, it produces 99 fpe.
Accuracy is good within 25 yards, I havent shot any groups past that. The .375 ammo groups under 2" at that range, the .58 ammo groups under 3" at the same range. I've also used a 1" barrel for shooting 100 BBs at a time. It'll shoot 100 BBs at 350 fps, you could bring down quite a few birds at a time with that.
I wouldnt use it in place of a firearm, especially if confronting 2 legged predators. It might have its place at night, no muzzle flash, very quiet report.
I've shot this airgun hundreds of times with no reliability problems. The valve is easily rebuilt in the field, something I've never needed to do.
I've shot a couple rabbits with it, brings em down with no problem. You could bring down much larger game, but I havent had the opportunity to do so.
Hope this gives you some ideas.:D

Last edited by theairgunman; 05-12-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 AM

Some modern air rifles are more than powerful enough to take down birds, rabbits etc.

Furthermore, ammo is cheap, and you can take several 1000 pellets with you (in a couple of small boxes), in case you have to abandon your home. IŽd say a good air rifle is quite a useful tool, when it comes to shooting birds/animals that you can eat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DKWarrior For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,518 Times in 4,384 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

My Jackel 22 is plenty powerfull and its old, you cannot get this model anymore.It has no problem taking a goose,duck or a rabbit.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sticks65 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2008, 04:28 PM
I love this forum

ok i was in waldo world, and i walked by the BB gunz, i nabbed a daisy powerline 880 for 35 bux with a scope. it claims 750 fps . i bought some raptor pellets they claim it ups the fps to 900+. it is 10 pump though. are the expensive guns only one pump? i will have to test the accuracy at up to 40 yards thats the most it would be used for. just a nother tool to snipe little food critters quietly.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:09 AM
Always preparing

For those living in more urban environments, I would strongly recommend getting an air rifle for hunting smaller game - I actually eat a nice wood pigeon yesterday, shot with my air rifle in my own backyard.

Firing a real gun attracts way too much attention in some areas.

Also as mentioned by others, ammo is cheap and 1000's of rounds can easily be transported.

/Sentinel
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sentinel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,686 Posts

I have an old BSA airsporter for shtf scenarios. I need to stock up on ammo tho. Its an old .22 bird but has enough whack to put woodpigeon , rabbit and squirrel in the pot. Trouble is , around here carrying one tends to draw attention some.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paradox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2008, 09:30 AM

Default Air-Gun for survival?

So to start off with I was'nt sure where to put this thread & feel free to move it if its not in the right spot. And I know there are alot of threads kinda like mine so sorry.

I have decided I would like to purchase an airgun. I have a 25lbs draw weight bow and arrow but the arrows are just to expensive and im not a good shot with it no matter how much i try. As for the airgun i was thinking the Crosman PCP discovery .22. I already have a high pressure tank and aa scuba tank from paintball so i already have alot of air. So does anyone have suggestions? And i would use it for hunting small game (squirrles, rabits, birds, etc). I have gone hunting for small game before with my friend and his air rifle. I already have a chepo crosman (its actually pretty good but 600fps .177) but i just want to upgrade.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeftHanded04 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Communications Bunker

Thanked 1,027 Times in 432 Posts

Crossman has a comparison chart on their website that lists the suggested uses for their guns. I use a 1088 to suggest to small fur bearers that they should leave my trash can alone. I also use that same 1088 while out in the woods for the same suggestive powers. Crossman makes a good product. For survival, I would rather have a powerful spring action pellet rifle. They don't need replacement powerlets or take a lot of time being pumped up. Crossman makes a good one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KF4LNE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2008, 03:43 PM

Thumbs up

I have taken squirrels with a spring-air rifle - it certainly can be done. For larger critters, my Spanish-made (not Gamo) .177 rifle may not have the 'oomph' I really want.
For that, I'd remain with my trusty rimfires.

But if I can find a good .22 air rifle that meets my needs, I'll pick it up!

I do like my little Crossman .22 singleshot CO2 pistol - it's laser accurate up to 15 yards. It's popped a lot of mice during an infestation a few years back.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:12 PM
This is a great survival forum

here watch the video as well......you hunt and kill hogs with this baby

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/mo...id=1048898414&

Over 192 ft-lbs! That's a serious hunting gun! This stunning precharged pneumatic rifle has what every airgunner wants: accuracy backed by truly daunting power. The Dragon Slayer 50 is made by ShinSung, a Korean company that knows what hunters really want in an airgun. After all, Koreans have been hunting with airguns for decades.

The power and accuracy of the Dragon Slayer 50 would have been enough to make airgunners happy, but they added a beautiful, well-balanced hardwood ambidextrous Monte Carlo stock (right-hand sidelever). Checkering on the pistol grip and forearm are another indication of the level of detail poured into this rifle's sculpted design.

Cock the rifle with the sidelever and insert a .50 caliber bullet in the mammoth loading trough. When you're out in the field, that giant loading area will make it easy to pop in another bullet when you want to get off a finishing shot. There aren't any sights, but this combo comes with a Leaper's scope and a laser. When the Dragon Slayer 50 air rifle hits your doorstep, you'll be ready for the hunt!

The single air reservoir is located directly below the barrel and is filled with either a scuba tank, electric compressor or a hand pump. Put 3000 psi in the gun and get ready for some awesome power. With a 225-grain bullet, we got 192 ft-lbs of pummeling energy. A 200-grain bullet on a 3000 psi fill will sail downrange around 567 fps, while the tenth shot will go about 541 fps (approx. 2200 psi). Each gun is individual, and some guns may get lower velocity...or higher velocity.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 AM

I just bought the Crosman Tac 1 Extreme .22 cal and RWS Superpoint .22 cal Pellets. It will be here next Tuesday. I read a forum review from a customer on another site and he said he shot a frozen 3 liter bottle from 35 yards away and it went all the way through. I will report back and give my own feedback about the air gun.