Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 AM
ranbo1213's Avatar
ranbo1213 ranbo1213 is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: south florida
Posts: 276
Thanks: 94
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default Best way to cut a shotgun barrel



Advertise Here

BEST WAY TO CUT A SHOTGUN BARREL: Whats the best method for a DIY to shorten a Remington 870 magnum express barrel down to 20".
thx
Old 09-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Waldlaeufer's Avatar
Waldlaeufer Waldlaeufer is offline
Wilddieb
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wo die wilden Kerle wohnen.
Posts: 2,249
Thanks: 1,300
Thanked 1,740 Times in 921 Posts
Default

Like it has been done for centuries: a jab saw will get the job done. Then deburr the new muzzle and perhaps blue it (some oil will do the job, also). Only do, if it is legal for you to do so.

Second choice, which I would prefer: buy a second, shorter barrel. I am sure it won't cost you a kidney (buy an used one to save some bucks)
Old 09-13-2010, 06:26 AM
SeekHer's Avatar
SeekHer SeekHer is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,483
Thanks: 35
Thanked 5,278 Times in 3,139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldlaeufer View Post
Like it has been done for centuries: a jab saw will get the job done. Then deburr the new muzzle and perhaps blue it (some oil will do the job, also). Only do, if it is legal for you to do so.

Second choice, which I would prefer: buy a second, shorter barrel. I am sure it won't cost you a kidney (buy an used one to save some bucks)
+1

Hack saw or chop saw will get it done.

But I agree with Waldlaeufer with getting a new short barrel like an 18" cylinder bore or a 20" with rifles sights...You can get a new one for around $150 and used for $50.

That is if you are referring to a "legal" chop...Going smaller to say 10 or 12 inches while "cute" don't perform well, are illegal unless you get a $200 BATF(u)E stamp for a Short Barrel gun.

There are a couple of very good barrel stores:

Barrel Exchange

Corson's Barrels
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 AM
PhotonSD's Avatar
PhotonSD PhotonSD is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,042
Thanks: 215
Thanked 533 Times in 322 Posts
Default

You can save a few dollars by buying a Mossberg barrel. They are a Rem 870 clone and will fit just fine. Keep the longer barrel for dove/duck/goose/teletubby hunting. You never know.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 AM
FarmerJohn FarmerJohn is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,302
Thanks: 6,762
Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonSD View Post
You can save a few dollars by buying a Mossberg barrel. They are a Rem 870 clone and will fit just fine. Keep the longer barrel for dove/duck/goose/teletubby hunting. You never know.
+1

i would say if your going the hack saw rout have some fine files so you can deburr the inside of the barrel after the hack saw does the job but honestly id keep the longer barrel and get a shorter one and keep longer for hunting
Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 PM
randkl's Avatar
randkl randkl is offline
Human bean of planet Urf
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,445
Thanks: 2,182
Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

"Best" is a subjective word.

Hacksaws work. They're hard to get good and straight, though. A pipe cutter works. Just use it to score the outside of the barrel for a straight line, though. If you go all the way through, it'll leave the cut end a bit crimped and you'll need to do a bit of file work to get it right. A Dremel with a simple cutoff wheel works well. Shotgun barrels are soft steel and a single emery cutoff wheel will go through it like butter. A chop saw works. Hard to get it straight, though, without some careful clamping of the barrel beforehand. A lathe works *best*. It's the only method that compensates for the barrel taper for a perfectly straight cut.

r
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Peter's Avatar
Peter Peter is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Above ground
Posts: 4,307
Thanks: 2,215
Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,466 Posts
Default

The number one best way is to buy a second barrel. You can always sell the original barrel to recoup your money. As for cutting the barrel....Unless you are willing to buy the tools to do it correctly (brownells) it will look like a hack job. I know I've seen enough of em.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:08 PM
dogsoldier0513 dogsoldier0513 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Heart of Dixie!
Posts: 91
Thanks: 1
Thanked 97 Times in 25 Posts
Default

DO NOT use a pipecutter! While it DOES score an easy 'line' to follow with a sharp hacksaw, using a pipecutter 'ONLY' tends to collapse the end of the barrel where the cut is made.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogsoldier0513 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2010, 12:49 PM
sniper.22cal sniper.22cal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: I-OWN-YA(Ionia,mi
Age: 39
Posts: 47
Thanks: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I shortened the field barrel of my Mossberg 500 with the chop saw. No problems with straightness according to a straight edge. I measured down the barrel with the breech closed, marked at 18 1/4" and cut. Used a small chain saw file to de-burr. Hit the end w rustoleum matte black to deter rust. It looks nothing like a hack job.
The Following User Says Thank You to sniper.22cal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Nimmer Nimmer is offline
Set Free
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,349
Thanks: 3,111
Thanked 870 Times in 482 Posts
Default

Why not just get a longer coat or elevator shoes if needed.

I have two barrels
1 - for birds
1 - for slugs and 00 buckshot

Maybe I will add a shorter one most likely not as it isnt a high priority to me.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM
mike in pa mike in pa is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: neP.A.
Posts: 1,454
Thanks: 1,820
Thanked 958 Times in 575 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsoldier0513 View Post
DO NOT use a pipecutter! While it DOES score an easy 'line' to follow with a sharp hacksaw, using a pipecutter 'ONLY' tends to collapse the end of the barrel where the cut is made.
That's considered a super full choke!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Peter's Avatar
Peter Peter is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Above ground
Posts: 4,307
Thanks: 2,215
Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,466 Posts
Default

I'd consider that an accident waiting to happen!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM
ranbo1213's Avatar
ranbo1213 ranbo1213 is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: south florida
Posts: 276
Thanks: 94
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

thx for the replys..
going to get a second one on GB for about 115 shipped and keep the long one.
The Following User Says Thank You to ranbo1213 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
harleyrider86's Avatar
harleyrider86 harleyrider86 is offline
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South Dakota
Age: 54
Posts: 873
Thanks: 2,763
Thanked 846 Times in 403 Posts
Default

Thanks for the info.

I need to do this too, but I can't buy another barrel for mine. A saiga barrel is not an easy thing to replace and a 26" barrel is too long to work with.

Mark
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
robertparker robertparker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 151
Thanks: 4
Thanked 170 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
+1

Hack saw or chop saw will get it done.

But I agree with Waldlaeufer with getting a new short barrel like an 18" cylinder bore or a 20" with rifles sights...You can get a new one for around $150 and used for $50.

That is if you are referring to a "legal" chop...Going smaller to say 10 or 12 inches while "cute" don't perform well, are illegal unless you get a $200 BATF(u)E stamp for a Short Barrel gun.
Short barrels perform just fine unless you need the length for goose hunting or shooting clays. For a tactical shotgun a short barrel makes a lot of sense. I am having a couple os Saigas made right now with 8" barrels, it cost a few bucks (okay, about $1200 per gun plus the $200 tax stamp) but the end result should be pretty amazing - 14 rounds of 12 gauge in a micro shotgun with folding stock.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 AM
SeekHer's Avatar
SeekHer SeekHer is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,483
Thanks: 35
Thanked 5,278 Times in 3,139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertparker View Post
Short barrels perform just fine unless you need the length for goose hunting or shooting clays. For a tactical shotgun a short barrel makes a lot of sense. I am having a couple os Saigas made right now with 8" barrels, it cost a few bucks (okay, about $1200 per gun plus the $200 tax stamp) but the end result should be pretty amazing - 14 rounds of 12 gauge in a micro shotgun with folding stock.
Besides taking out door hinges, locks or the like what would you use a 12" barrel on...Home defence would be difficult since you've eliminated any pattern that the barrel--even cylinder bore would produce beyond a couple of yards and hunting would be out of the question if you had to swing through a target.

Muzzle blast would be blinding and the extra noise (by proximity) produced would be deafening...I'd have just kept the Saiga at its 24" barrel where it is optimized for.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Hungry's Avatar
Hungry Hungry is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cackalacky
Age: 44
Posts: 6,112
Thanks: 19,565
Thanked 11,392 Times in 4,186 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I need to do this too, but I can't buy another barrel for mine. A saiga barrel is not an easy thing to replace and a 26" barrel is too long to work with.

Mark
I've read that changing the length of the barrel on a Saiga 12 can cause cycling issues. It is possible to make it work but will most likely involve adjusting the gas ports.

Good Luck
Old 09-16-2010, 03:47 PM
harleyrider86's Avatar
harleyrider86 harleyrider86 is offline
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South Dakota
Age: 54
Posts: 873
Thanks: 2,763
Thanked 846 Times in 403 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
I've read that changing the length of the barrel on a Saiga 12 can cause cycling issues. It is possible to make it work but will most likely involve adjusting the gas ports.

Good Luck
I've never heard this. The Saiga 12 is offered with shorter barrels then mine and the gas system is the same. It's just the dealer who I got mine from had only the one. It took him 2 weeks to get me some spare mags.

I've already installed a GasFixer system to it which gives me 4 settings instead of only 2...............that should handle any issues.

I'll do some more research over at the Saiga Forums before I take the dremel to it.

Mark
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Hungry's Avatar
Hungry Hungry is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cackalacky
Age: 44
Posts: 6,112
Thanks: 19,565
Thanked 11,392 Times in 4,186 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post
I've never heard this. The Saiga 12 is offered with shorter barrels then mine and the gas system is the same. It's just the dealer who I got mine from had only the one. It took him 2 weeks to get me some spare mags.

I've already installed a GasFixer system to it which gives me 4 settings instead of only 2...............that should handle any issues.

I'll do some more research over at the Saiga Forums before I take the dremel to it.

Mark
HR 86, I found this thread, it may be helpful.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=38318
The Following User Says Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 01:12 AM
SgtBooker44's Avatar
SgtBooker44 SgtBooker44 is offline
Ron Swanson 2016
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Posts: 31,867
Thanks: 4,380
Thanked 26,753 Times in 13,990 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1
Default

If I were going to cut a barrel down, I'd use a machine lathe and re-crown the end of the barrel.

That's the safest way I know of. I ran a lathe in high school. It's less than a 10 minute job.
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shotgun with rifled barrel...shotgun or rifle? lexmark Shotgun Forum 15 09-04-2013 07:54 PM
New Englander Shotgun Barrel redneckscholar Black powder 4 12-18-2011 08:43 PM
Shotgun with 6.5" Barrel ? The Saint Shotgun Forum 20 10-31-2009 11:56 AM
Shotgun Barrel? Spencer2007 Shotgun Forum 3 03-29-2009 10:44 PM
Shotgun Barrel Length? CampGearDirect Firearms General Discussion 6 05-25-2008 11:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net