Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Default AK47 vs SKS

Advertise Here

New to the AK and SKS and they look similar I read that some SKS can us AK mags. So what are the differences that would make one better than the other?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 PM
RKBA SNBI

There are lots of flavors of each. One nice thing about the SKS (sans bayonet) is it doesn't look like a scary assault weapon, more like a deer rifle.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,896 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

the SKS-D variant takes AK magazines, but they are few and far between. Simonov's carbine shoots a tad more accurately, but is a tad less durable. From what I've read- you should probably stick to the standard fixed magazine and NOT use duck bills. I've heard nothing but grief about them. Keep in mind than an SKS is NOT an AK.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Prepared

All I can say is that if the SKS was made to shoot AK mags, they'd be called SKS mags.

It may work, and it may work WELL even, but I dont trust it personally.

Far as the guns, the SKS is longer, the AK mas more accessories I think... Bigger standard magazine... And militaries of the world think the AK is better than the SKS. Good enough for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 PM
happiness is a warm gun

Thanked 1,109 Times in 432 Posts

I have some experience with both. Even though they (Ak and SKS) use the same cartridge they are very different guns. I believe that there are two models of SKS that accept AK magazines, the M and D. They are factory produced and many will have a thumbhole stock. The SKS has a longer barrel and is in general more accurate than the AK. (obviously this varys from gun to gun) The AK has a very short, light barrel and it heats up very quickly under long rapid fire situations. This effects accuracy and not in a good way. I have also seen AK's shoot pretty good groups and even though there not tack drivers some are more accurate than people give them credit for. In my experience they are both reliable and easy to disassemble and clean. I have read that the designer of the AK was building a "peasant gun" (No offense to AK owners which I AM one) This just meant a ultra reliable, fairly cheap to manufacture firearm that used a decent cartridge and probably would not break or require much maintenance even under heavy use. AK's are fun but if I could just buy one I would get an SKS and leave the factory 10 shot fixed magazine alone and buy some stripper clips. Hope that helps.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gun-Nut5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 PM
aka pop

I have 2 Chinese made SKS, had them almost 15 years. I have only shot 30 rd mags in both guns. Have never had a problem with either gun, very dependable guns. I replaced the stocks on both and they are a blast to shoot. Little recoil. fun gun.
I have read about problems with the detachable mags but I have had NO problems with mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gen. Ben Raines For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 04:35 AM

The detachable magazines for SKS rifles were always known to have feeding issues. That problem went away with the Tapco 20rd mags. They work flawlessly. I have many and use them on a few different guns, and I have never had a problem. Stay far away from the metal mags, especially made by ProMag.

Make sure before you install the "duckbill" mag, that you have converted enough other parts to be in compliance with 922r.
The Following User Says Thank You to PAPACHUCK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Immortal

Thanked 1,521 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun-Nut5 View Post
I have some experience with both. Even though they (Ak and SKS) use the same cartridge they are very different guns. I believe that there are two models of SKS that accept AK magazines, the M and D. They are factory produced and many will have a thumbhole stock. The SKS has a longer barrel and is in general more accurate than the AK. (obviously this varys from gun to gun) The AK has a very short, light barrel and it heats up very quickly under long rapid fire situations. This effects accuracy and not in a good way. I have also seen AK's shoot pretty good groups and even though there not tack drivers some are more accurate than people give them credit for. In my experience they are both reliable and easy to disassemble and clean. I have read that the designer of the AK was building a "peasant gun" (No offense to AK owners which I AM one) This just meant a ultra reliable, fairly cheap to manufacture firearm that used a decent cartridge and probably would not break or require much maintenance even under heavy use. AK's are fun but if I could just buy one I would get an SKS and leave the factory 10 shot fixed magazine alone and buy some stripper clips. Hope that helps.
I agree 100%

took my first deer with an AKM but will never hunt with one again. Barrel is too short and inaccurate. I have taken several deer since with SKS rifles and still own several. The advantage of the AK is the compactness and pistol grip for better handling indoors and the detachable magazines. The SKS M and D take AK mags but they are not as easy to use as in the AK.
The Following User Says Thank You to Groovy Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,772 Times in 459 Posts

If you buy an SKS, DO NOT try to "trick it out" with a bunch of accessories. It will only make it less accurate and less reliable.

The SKS, as it comes in original form is a good weapon. It will feed ammo just fine and if you practice reloading with the stripper clips, you can be about as fast as changing mags anyway.

Buy enough stripper clips so you don't have to worry about trying to retrieve them. Sure... you can pick them back up at the firing range, but in a real SHTF situation, don't bother retrieving them. The same thought goes for any mag in a real firefight. You can go back later and get them if you survive, but don't let that empty mag get you killed. Make sure you have enough to do what you need to do and then get more! ;^)

Medic73
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Medic73 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,804 Times in 31,349 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Bowhunter View Post
New to the AK and SKS and they look similar I read that some SKS can us AK mags. So what are the differences that would make one better than the other?
Depends on which you prefer, really. The AK gives you more capacity and quicker mag changes. The SKS has the feel of a more traditional rifle (which I prefer) and is a little more accurate.

The SKS that takes AK mags is the perfect compromise in my opinion. But they're very hard to find and expensive when you do. Not many made it into the country, and those who have them aren't parting with them. I had the chance to pick one up for $400 at a gunshow last year, but I was having a bad show and just couldn't spend the money. I haven't seen one since.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Historian & Archaeologist

Thanked 1,697 Times in 706 Posts

i have an sks. i have a fiberforce stock and duckbill mags. all work flawlessly. after 1000 rds of ammo put through it (cheap crap too) never once had a FTF or a FTE.
that being said, i would still love an AK
Old 09-10-2010, 06:16 PM
المتخلفين قوات

Thanked 8,351 Times in 3,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litsgt View Post
i have an sks. i have a fiberforce stock and duckbill mags. all work flawlessly. after 1000 rds of ammo put through it (cheap crap too) never once had a FTF or a FTE.
that being said, i would still love an AK
Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,941 Posts

just recently picked up a sks D monte carlo stocked peice of junk for 300.. it could take the 2 AK magazines it came with.. but nothing else.

It didnt load the magazines right.. and i had to manually push forward the bolt after every other shot. it just was terrible.

A duckbill works twice as efficiently as that crap.

So i traded it off for a AK ... innaccurate as hell and i cant get the dust cover back on.. but at least i have a ton of magazines that work fine with it right?

And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Ring the alarum-bell! Blow, wind! come, wrack!
At least we'll die with harness off our back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kroenen117 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Historian & Archaeologist

Thanked 1,697 Times in 706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Coke View Post
im not attempting to brag about them... i was just responding to ppl who say leave it stock because of reliability reasons. simply telling the op that he shouldnt be afraid to mod his SKS as long as he does it right.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:40 PM
المتخلفين قوات

Thanked 8,351 Times in 3,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litsgt View Post
im not attempting to brag about them... i was just responding to ppl who say leave it stock because of reliability reasons. simply telling the op that he shouldnt be afraid to mod his SKS as long as he does it right.
Welp....I was just schocked you'd tell the world you destroyed the classic look of your SKS.

I've had more SKS rifles than I've had pairs of shoes...they were under $100 not too long ago. And my opinion on the old metal duckbill mags are that they are a complete waste of money that will cause feeding issues in everything I've had through the years...maybe they've improved them, I got mine in the late 90s/early 00s. Now, the newer tapco mags are great imo.

Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen117 View Post
just recently picked up a sks D monte carlo stocked peice of junk for 300.. it could take the 2 AK magazines it came with.. but nothing else.

It didnt load the magazines right.. and i had to manually push forward the bolt after every other shot. it just was terrible.

A duckbill works twice as efficiently as that crap.

So i traded it off for a AK ... innaccurate as hell and i cant get the dust cover back on.. but at least i have a ton of magazines that work fine with it right?
Sounds like personal problems....

try this;
http://www.google.com/search?q=ak+si...ient=firefox-a
The Following User Says Thank You to Heckler&Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Slayer of Sacred Cows

Oh not this "Obama" again!

With all the sources of manufacture and new to used and abused conditions you can find either one in I would not hazard a blanket statment as to which (AK or SKS) is more accurate or reliable.

I've had both examples that ran from 2MOA to 6MOA at 100yds on an individual basis.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:33 PM
The Over 40 Club

Thanked 1,450 Times in 667 Posts

My SKS-M uses AK 30rd mags and feeds perfectly. I have shot both but if I could only have one I'll stick with my SKS. It has a 16 inch barrel and shoots better than an AK 47
Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Whats the opinions on the Yogo SKS? I believe one site has new ones for sale or ones that have been stored in cases and never issued.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,772 Times in 459 Posts

I had a Yugo SKS once. I loaned it to a friend who changed out the stock and while cleaning the rifle, lost the spring that holds the selector for the grenade launcher (basically making the rifle ONLY a single shot after that).

I looked for about two years for a replacement spring for that switch and just couldn't find a replacement. I ended up selling that SKS (with full disclosure) at a gun show and picked up another SKS.

IMHO, I felt the Yugo was pretty nose heavy with the extra long flash/launcher on it, but when I first bought the Yugo, it shot very well. I just wouldn't want to hump it very far.

BTW, I bought a couple of the rifle grenades that you clip a regular grenade (or can of pop, etc...) into and use SKS BLANKS ONLY to launch them. It was fun, but unless you have a bunch of those rifle grenades and blanks and the need for them, I'd rather stick with a regular SKS.

I think I've now owned 8 or 9 SKS rifles. One was one of the coveted SKS-M model that took the AK mags, but it just didn't feed well and I tried several different AK mags on it. I won't keep a rifle that isn't reliable. My life or the life of my family members may depend on it.

Medic73
Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 PM

My SKS has been a great rifle. Not the same as an AK. Both are good stuff.

I think that the SKS is a good all around survival rifle, and if I could only choose one rifle on a budget it would be it.

For all the info on SKS's that you could ever want:
www.yooperj.com/sks.htm.BAK
The Following User Says Thank You to Clay For This Useful Post: