Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 PM

Question How to start and train a Survival group

Advertise Here

I'm interested in starting my own militia or survival group, or what ever you wanna call it. Could some one help me out as to how i could find members, group requirements, and ways to train. I live in Massachusetts, I'm 18 years old, i have no prior military experience, and I'm low on funds. Any advice would be helpful.

Last edited by OLDWarrior64; 09-03-2010 at 12:41 AM..
Old 09-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Target Shooter

You're better off joining one. No offense, but at 18 years old, with no military background and seemingly little knowledge on the subject, I don't think you'll find many serious candidates. You'd probably just find some kids that want to play Army.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AK4orty7even For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Thanked 9,505 Times in 4,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK4orty7even View Post
You're better off joining one. No offense, but at 18 years old, with no military background and seemingly little knowledge on the subject, I don't think you'll find many serious candidates. You'd probably just find some kids that want to play Army.
So true. Not saying that they can't just who would watch your 6
Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 PM
This is a great survival forum

Join the military and get some first hand experience. Go combat arms and try to go as high as you can in the sf field. Then get out and try to for or join a militia.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 PM

As long as i don't do anything against the law I'm not really worried about law enforcement. I'm just trying to get a group together of like minded people who share the same concerns as i do. I know I'm young but we all have to start some where, and despite the good training right now joining the military is not an option. I would like to join a militia but there is none in MA that i know of. So i figure I'd start my own. Any vets out there that could help me out with how to train and what to train for? Or any members out there with good ideas that you could share with me? My first idea was to train in the field with air soft guns with pain markers.. sort of the same as a gun with out the dangers. does any one have more ideas? In the mean time I'll be doing plenty of reading on the subject.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 AM
planner and prepper

Well, MA isn't receptive to "gun culture" or personal rights etc. I don't see any area of that state (even in the Western part) being too fond of a militia or anything that could be called a militia. If you want to look back there I would try NH.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Who is John Galt?

Join the military they have been training fighting men for hundreds of years. Your 18 what else have you got going on, plus if your smart you can scrap together some funds.
The Following User Says Thank You to davyj0427 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 12:30 AM
ex-Infantry Iraq Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavscout11 View Post
I'm interested in starting my own militia or survival group, or what ever you wanna call it. Could some one help me out as to how i could find members, group requirements, and ways to train. I live in Massachusetts, I'm 18 years old, i have no prior military experience, and I'm low on founds. Any advice would be helpful.
There are what is known as FMs or " Field Manuals ". Its basically the instruction manual for different military aspects

Here you go, FM 7-8
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...7-8/index.html

Read everything it says for a good foundational knowledge of the military. Needless to say there are probably hundreds of FMs but this is the starting point.

Learn it, Live it, Love it
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeYasuma For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 AM
ex-Infantry Iraq Vet

Ugggh sorry for double post, make sure you go to google and search for [STATE] Gun Laws. If you attempt to start a militia without following the proper legal procedure expect a **** storm to rain down upon you.

As long as the law of the land exists, there is no reason to break it.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavscout11 View Post
As long as i don't do anything against the law I'm not really worried about law enforcement.
I'm sure your intentions are honorable but Massachusetts seems to make it challenging for a "militia" unit to form.

Quote:
The General Laws of Massachusetts - Chapter 33

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE V. MILITIA

CHAPTER 33. MILITIA

XII. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Section 129. Maintenance of armories by private organizations

Section 129. Except as provided in section one hundred and thirty, no body of men shall maintain an armory or associate together as a company or organization for drill or parade with firearms, or so drill or parade, except the armed forces of the United States, the armed forces of the commonwealth, and, the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts; provided, that any veteran association composed wholly of past members of the militia of the commonwealth may maintain an armory for the use of the organizations of the militia to which its members belonged.

Section 130. Drills or parades by armed citizens or foreign troops; conditions

Section 130. The commander-in-chief may prescribe rules and regulations under which bodies of citizens of the United States, or foreign troops to whose admission to the United States the government of the United States has consented, may drill or parade with firearms or harmless imitations thereof. He may authorize the use by any such body of any state armory or air installation for drill or training.

Section 131. Unauthorized parades by armed citizens; unlawful maintenance of armories; penalties

Section 131. Whoever violates any provision of section one hundred and twenty-nine or one hundred and thirty shall be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months, or both.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Misfit Toy

Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,034 Posts

Forget about Militias. It's a fantasy hype. The whole Red Dawn concept is for the movies. Find some like minded friends that share your interests in bushcraft and survival practices.

Then do a lot of research and field testing. It's a lot of fun to gear up, even more fun using it and becoming skilled with it. Keep it focused on the skills. Not the war-glory fantasy. The main objective of a true Survivalist, is to adapt and overcome a dangerous or life threatening situation. Gearing up for a firefight is counter-productive to the goal of Survivalism.

Remember: Adapt, Overcome, Evade, and Persevere.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Raven For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,045 Times in 2,557 Posts

join the military volunteer for survival trainning and maybe special ops...ect once you get out with an honroable discharge. then ppl might actually take you seriously and lesson to what you have to say.

its; improvise, adapt , overcome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 03:52 AM
ex-Infantry Iraq Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptkeeper View Post
join the military volunteer for survival trainning and maybe special ops...ect once you get out with an honroable discharge. then ppl might actually take you seriously and lesson to what you have to say.
Not to be a naysayer but if you join spec ops you can expect to remain on the government's radar long after you get out. If your goal is to start your own " Militia " then you really want to keep a low profile.

I don't know every state's law on this matter. Obviously in your state it is clearly illegal while in a different state they might be more accepting. If it is a life goal to lead a militia ( Who doesn't love positions of authority ) you might have to move somewhere to accomplish it.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 AM
Isaiah 40:31

Join the military, get all the training you want, and get paid for it.

If you really can't join (even though I can't think of a reasonable excuse other than some grave disability). Learn to hunt, go camping, backpacking, whatever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MooseMedic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,592 Times in 4,204 Posts

Interesting how even after the OP says the military isn't an option right now people keep suggesting he join. If he says "not an option", I'd assume it's NOT an option for health or personal reasons, and go from there.

I'd suggest forget setting up a militia, that requires a lot of organizational skills and knowledge, and can cost money. Find an established survival or recreation group, join, learn, and profit from their greater abilities and skills. DON'T try to turn the group into a milita, they probably don't want to go there, you'll be a disruptive influence, and they'll eventually boot you out. Learn how to survive and thrive first, and once you can do that, THEN consider setting up your own militia.

Although - and I'm not saying this is true, but just in case - if the point of your urge is you just want to play with guns in a group, or you've got some idea of a bunch of guys 'saving' the country, you might need to rethink your priorities.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Farmer

Thanked 20,516 Times in 8,408 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

There are already many militia groups to choose from.

My problem with many of them is how many 'leaders' they have who have no experience or leadership skills. Far too many 'armchair experts' or fantasy people.

I am career military myself, going into any of the 'militia groups' that I have looked at; I felt rather insulted.

Any goof-ball who wants to be called by an officer's rank, saluted and shown respect; yet who has never led troops in combat; is not a person that I am going to salute.

I am an NCO.

I am subject to the UCMJ.

I am not going to recognize anyone as being an 'officer' if they are not in fact an 'officer' according to the UCMJ.

If you want training, then enlist.

If you want to lead men, enlist.

If you can not enlist, then your only other option may be to join a fantasy group.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,523 Times in 4,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Forget about Militias. It's a fantasy hype. The whole Red Dawn concept is for the movies. Find some like minded friends that share your interests in bushcraft and survival practices.

Then do a lot of research and field testing. It's a lot of fun to gear up, even more fun using it and becoming skilled with it. Keep it focused on the skills. Not the war-glory fantasy. The main objective of a true Survivalist, is to adapt and overcome a dangerous or life threatening situation. Gearing up for a firefight is counter-productive to the goal of Survivalism.

Remember: Adapt, Overcome, Evade, and Persevere.
Yeah, but how many on these boards are survivalists?

To the OP:

To actively seek out people of unknown back ground, character, political views, religion, or mental deficiencies, is very unwise. While your intentions might be good, you are inviting trouble upon yourself.

I suggest you find a Forum of Militiamen, and ask them. These are survivalist boards.

*speaking loud enough for the many ATF Agents that troll here will hear me* We do not condone Militia, or ANY anti Government sentiments. We are a collective of people who's opinions are not solely expressed by the comments of others.

I suggest you join a gun club, and make friends. However your not old enough to own a pistol, let alone run a Militia group. Maybe you should just join your states Militia? Get some experience first.

I don't however suggest you join the Military.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,681 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crutch View Post
Yeah, but how many on these boards are survivalists?

To the OP:

To actively seek out people of unknown back ground, character, political views, religion, or mental deficiencies, is very unwise. While your intentions might be good, you are inviting trouble upon yourself.

I suggest you find a Forum of Militiamen, and ask them. These are survivalist boards.

*speaking loud enough for the many ATF Agents that troll here will hear me* We do not condone Militia, or ANY anti Government sentiments. We are a collective of people who's opinions are not solely expressed by the comments of others.

I suggest you join a gun club, and make friends. However your not old enough to own a pistol, let alone run a Militia group. Maybe you should just join your states Militia? Get some experience first.

I don't however suggest you join the Military.
+1

If you want training, join your state National Guard.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Were you a boy scout? When I was, many years ago, the Boy Scout Field Manual was a wealth of information on survival type skills.

Also, don't call your group a "militia". The accepted meaning (not the dictionary description) of this word has changed since the days of our Founding Fathers. Our liberal friends in the media have managed to associate the word with "ant-government", the same way they distorted the meaning of "assault weapon".

Call your group "The (city name here) Camping Club" or "The (city name here) Wilderness Explorers". Just avoid the word "militia".

Also, some people freak when they see a person wearing military style camoflaged clothing, so keep a low profile and wear civilian clothing during your "wilderness exploring" outings. Keep the camo stashed for the real thing.

Last edited by DElmer; 09-03-2010 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: incomplete
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DElmer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 09:20 AM

Like i said in the beginning JOINING THE MILITARY IS NOT AN OPTION. i don't have any "Red Dawn" fantasies or oppose my government in any way for the matter. I'm looking to start a group of survivalists proficient in bushcraft skills, and proficient with firearms and maneuvers. God forbid the SHTF i wouldn't want a couple guys with fancy guns who don't know how to use them efficiently. Maybe i worded it wrong i don't want to start a militia, i just want a group of guys who are tactically sound. and ways to train them effectively. And trust me when i say this i wouldn't want to salute no arm chair quarterback either. I hope this post clears some things up.