Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 PM
I am whatever I say I am

Default Can sizes

Advertise Here

I keep seeing people referring to the "#10 can" when talking about canned food, and it keeps me puzzled. Just how big is the #10 can? Are there other can numbers, say #1 through #9? Thanks!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:57 PM

I honestly cannot tell you the true sizes (volumes of the cans), but you should simply familiarize yourself with the #10 and #2 (or is it 2.5?). The #2 is your regular can for veggies, speggetios, manwich, soups, etc... The #10 is the 'largest coffee can you can buy' size. Don't know what else comes in that size from a regular grocery, but you can find them in SAMS and COSTCO or any other bulk food place.

A lot of folks stock the #10 cans so they can get a lot for their available space. I for one am a little different though as I don't feel that I can keep a full #10 can of corn from perishing before I and my family can eat it. I mean to say that we will only stock the smaller cans because we eat them in one meal and by only using 2-3 meals a week with the same veggie, it would take weeks before we got to the bottom of a big #10...

My SHTF solutions all include no power = little way to store open foods for weeks at a time safely. If we still have power then it certainly isn't the end of life as I know it. But I'm sure anyone could argue that...

EDIT: Size #10 volume is 105 oz. capacity, 6 2.5/16" wide by 7 15/16" tall -- (large coffee can, less than one gallon size), #12 (full gallon sized), #1 half pint can, #2 (pint sized), #2.5 approximately 4" wide x 4 10/16" tall -- 30 ounce can, and #3 Cans (quart sized).

Last edited by Wheelz; 05-07-2008 at 11:13 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Wheelz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 38,234 Times in 5,295 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

It isn't as straight forward as #1 through #10.

The two common cans for freeze-dried and dehydraded foods are the #2 1/2, which holds 3 1/2 cups, and the #10 can which holds 3 quarts. It isn't a gallon can as so many people believe.

The weight of a full can is totally dependent on what the product is. The weight can vary from a few ounces to several pounds.

If you check the contents information at www.beprepared.com and www.waltonfeed.com, you will find that the number of servings varies a great deal between the wet pack, deyhdrated, and freeze-dried versions of the same product.

Dehydrated food shrinks in size so normally has more servings per can than the freeze-dried product, when both are available.