Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 AM

Default light set up for my ar

Advertise Here

I Currently own a Colt 6920 and of the past few weeks havve finally gotten around to buying the few excessories i found to suit my needs.
first a little back ground i am not a fan of quad rail forends and do not intend to equip my rifle with one. i find them to be to bulky and heavy for what i desire from the AR platform. i recently had a chance to handle the Magpul moe forend and fell in love with it. so i purchessed it and replaced the standerd double heat shield grip that i had previously never intended on taking off. also i am not a fan of vertical forgrips. basically i like to keep my weapons as light and simple as possible while at the same time making them as effective as possible. for those of you who know that rails can be attached to the MOE hand guard i don't wish to equip any.
so basically now i am asking advice on which light systems and how to attach them would work best. i have been seriously considering a front sight post clamp with the rails on each side as i kept the stock front sight when adding my eotech and folding rear sight. any advice and or experience would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

ThePatriot
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
ELZETTA Tactical Lighting

You may be interested in our popular Elzetta ZFH1500 Flashlight Mount which works perfectly with MOE handguards (see photo below, shown with optional ZPR1500 Rail Kit).

If you want to retain a side sling swivel, like the one on your 6920, we offer the ZSS1500 QD Side Sling Swivel Kit for the ZFH1500 that will provide a sling attachment on the side of your front sight base while adding Quick Disconnect capability (see photo below):

We also just introduced Discounted Package Deals so you can get a 235-Lumen Elzetta ZFL-M60 LED Flashlight with a ZFH1500 and save some money.

All Elzetta products are Made in the USA to the highest standards.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elzetta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Hunter

Nice looking addon there ElZ, I may have to invest in one...

Thanks for the tip.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ritepath For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Prepared

Yeaaaaa but where am I supposed to put my bayonet?

Oh nevermind, I can just put it on my pistol! (I think everyone has seen those, funky).

Seriously thats a nice setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 03:04 AM

Since you already have the MOE handguards, you may want to look into getting the MOE light kit. Add a Surefire 6P or G2 and you're money.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 PM

as far as the mount you have many many options. they make a polymer rail to fit the moe that i used for a while until i got my quad rail system. I recoment the Surefire scout for a light. that little thing is amazing. its brighter than the surefire m910a i have.and you can get a brand new one off ebay for around 150
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 PM

also heres the rail set up i had on my rifle for the Magpul MOE. i had to sell them on ebay . its very comfterable and there is more rails you can attach to the bottom or top. Elzetta has a pretty nice package i just cant use it with my block.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,685 Posts

I have a 6520 with thin handguards. I recessed a patch of handguard to accomadate a piece of picatinny rail at 1-2 o'clock, to mount my Surefire Mini-Scout light and optional tape switch at 11 o'clock to prevent "white light ND". Much like Fishead, I really like this light but they do cost $200+ no matter where you get it. The military bought a bunch so you might start seeing them around.

The El Zetta pictured above is what I had before and I have used it with Surefire 6P LED, G2, G2 LED, G3 LED and the Browning Huntmaster 400 Lumen LED and tape switch. In terms of maintaining balance and centering the gravity, the EL Zetta is the better and much cheaper option. Can do it for less than $100 including mount, switch, light.
The Following User Says Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 PM
In a pile of brass

Thanked 1,551 Times in 824 Posts

I hope you know a light works 2 ways...

When your shinning a light around, your giving your position away to anyone within visible distance who isn't blind...
Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Don't eat bowls of stupid

Thanked 4,724 Times in 2,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePatriot View Post
I Currently own a Colt 6920 and of the past few weeks havve finally gotten around to buying the few excessories i found to suit my needs.
first a little back ground i am not a fan of quad rail forends and do not intend to equip my rifle with one. i find them to be to bulky and heavy for what i desire from the AR platform. i recently had a chance to handle the Magpul moe forend and fell in love with it. so i purchessed it and replaced the standerd double heat shield grip that i had previously never intended on taking off. also i am not a fan of vertical forgrips. basically i like to keep my weapons as light and simple as possible while at the same time making them as effective as possible. for those of you who know that rails can be attached to the MOE hand guard i don't wish to equip any.
so basically now i am asking advice on which light systems and how to attach them would work best. i have been seriously considering a front sight post clamp with the rails on each side as i kept the stock front sight when adding my eotech and folding rear sight. any advice and or experience would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

ThePatriot
Well, for what it's worth, here's a few pics of my M4 with a few changes additions. I spec'd out the complete upper from MI (Midwest Industries). I've had nothing but 100% reliability with it. The taclight is a Wolfeye 260 and standard 1" rail mount I bought from www.sogarmory.com I hope this may be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
M4 with taclight and bipod 2.jpg   M4 with taclight and bipod.jpg   HorusVision Talon 1000 1x4x24 illuminated quick acclaimation scope  on M4.jpg   Wolf Eyes 260 Sniper Light.jpg   CAA bipod and flipdown front sight by MI.jpg  

Last edited by American ME!; 09-09-2010 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: another stupid typo
Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzetta View Post
You may be interested in our popular Elzetta ZFH1500 Flashlight Mount which works perfectly with MOE handguards (see photo below, shown with optional ZPR1500 Rail Kit).

If you want to retain a side sling swivel, like the one on your 6920, we offer the ZSS1500 QD Side Sling Swivel Kit for the ZFH1500 that will provide a sling attachment on the side of your front sight base while adding Quick Disconnect capability (see photo below):

We also just introduced Discounted Package Deals so you can get a 235-Lumen Elzetta ZFL-M60 LED Flashlight with a ZFH1500 and save some money.

All Elzetta products are Made in the USA to the highest standards.
Quite nice! How much is the rail set on the front sight? I have a Colt AR15 Match Target Competition HBAR that I wish to keep original while being able add a few accessories to the existing furniture therefore keeping it original. BTW, of the other rifles in my inventory, this is my deer and hog rifle.
Attached Thumbnails
Colt AR15 Match Target Competition H-BAR.jpg   Colt 3x20 scope on  Colt AR15 Match Target Competition H-BAR.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,304 Times in 896 Posts

You can also take a look at the Safariland RLS (Rapid Light System) for around $100. You can attach it to a small bayonet lug or front site rail (like the Elzetta pitcured above).

The benefit of the Safariland RLS is you can swap it to other firearms very easily. I plan on swapping mine between my AR and my CZ P01 pistol.

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum6387.php
Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Good while it lasted!

a light makes you are good target. easier for the bad guys to shoot at. they will aim for the light.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohio_patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American ME! View Post
Quite nice! How much is the rail set on the front sight? I have a Colt AR15 Match Target Competition HBAR that I wish to keep original while being able add a few accessories to the existing furniture therefore keeping it original. BTW, of the other rifles in my inventory, this is my deer and hog rifle.
Thanks! If you are referring to the price of the ZPR1500 Rail Kit that attaches to the Elzetta ZFH1500 Flashlight Mount, it is only $6.95. The ZFH1500 Mount is $29.95 for the Standard Model and $36.95 for the Quick Release Thumb Screw Model (which allows lights to be installed and removed quickly without tools). This system would work very well on your Colt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Elzetta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Take me out to the black

Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_patriot View Post
a light makes you are good target. easier for the bad guys to shoot at. they will aim for the light.
That's why you learn how to use it!

Short flash to illuminate what you need to see, fire (or not), then light off (LEDs are much better for this with their near instant shutoff), then MOVE!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nightside_Eclipse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks! If you are referring to the price of the ZPR1500 Rail Kit that attaches to the Elzetta ZFH1500 Flashlight Mount, it is only $6.95. The ZFH1500 Mount is $29.95 for the Standard Model and $36.95 for the Quick Release Thumb Screw Model (which allows lights to be installed and removed quickly without tools). This system would work very well on your Colt.

Ok, you sold me....will place an order with you ASAP. Many thanks!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightside_Eclipse View Post
That's why you learn how to use it!

Short flash to illuminate what you need to see, fire (or not), then light off (LEDs are much better for this with their near instant shutoff), then MOVE!
Very true and correct!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Next question.....would you have a combo taclight/lasersight similar to the setup you just showed me for the same rifle? Please let me know.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American ME! View Post
Next question.....would you have a combo taclight/lasersight similar to the setup you just showed me for the same rifle? Please let me know.
We do not sell lasers but we do have two Discount Combo Deals that include an Elzetta ZFH1500 Mount and a 235-lumen Elzetta ZFL-M60 LED Light: link

If you are interested in the Picatinny Rail Kit (PN ZPR1500), you could order the Basic No-Rail Lighting System and add Rail Kit for $6.95 here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elzetta For This Useful Post: