Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Subculture

Thanked 1,032 Times in 436 Posts
Default Blast-Match Review

Advertise Here

I told a few folks on here that I would post a review of sorts on the Blast Match. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP223-1.html So upon taking it out of the package I thought, as other reviewers did, that the case was just cheap plastic. Soooo. I threw it on the concrete pretty damn hard and...nothing but a little scratch. Opening it was and still is a PITA. You can do it with one hand as they state if you dig your nail into the latch and pop it open. With practice, I hope to look like the pros on you tube. The rod was warped/ bowed..whatever you want to call it. I had to work it in and out(shut up pervs) about 30 times to break it in so the rod wouldn't stick in the housing. That was an indicator that it was an over hyped POS.
So. Off to getting this little jewel to make sparks. Well, it has a coating on the rod and until you get all of that out of the way, it won't spark for nuthin'. So after about 20 minutes of messing around with this thing, it sparks. It sparks good. I lit paper, cotton balls, and char-cloth. Sometimes it takes more than one strike.
Overall, it works... finally. For the money, you'd think it would work out of the box. But nope. Not this one. Will I use it? Yup. Will I recommend it? After a long winded explanation...sure. Are there better alternatives? Yup. Is there worse? Rubbing sticks and scraping magnesium.
All in all, you can do it with one hand. That alone is worth it to me from a survival standpoint. A 3 out of 5 in my book. So, that's it. My opinion/ review about the Blast-Match. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Silverlion; 08-31-2010 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Made into paragraph form by request. :)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silverlion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 6,682 Times in 2,619 Posts

Good review. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Two is one. One is none.

Good review. (Please consider using paragraphs though, that wall of text is hard to look at.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Awesomeness For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Subculture

Sorry about that I was in a hurry and wanted to get it all out while I had it all in my head. <<<<<<Run on sentence. LMAO!

I tried to indent, but when I post, it re-formats it.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 PM

Ive got one of those, there pretty handy.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Subculture

OK. So now that I've used my Blast Match quite a bit, I think it's a POS for the cash. The case separated in my back pocket last time I went camping. Looks like it was glued together with Super Glue or something. It fell apart. I re-glued it just to have the button that you push down for the striker break off. Now I just have a fancy ferro rod in a crappy plastic case that won't stay closed and I have to strike with the back of my knife. I could have bought just a ferro rod for a couple of bucks if that's what I wanted. Don't waste your money. I'm looking into warranty options.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM

We love our blast matches and use them as our primary fire starters. They have now been used 1000's of times without issue. Simple and easy to use.

The Following User Says Thank You to 2brothersadventures For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Subculture

Perhaps I got a lemon. All I know is that I won't be wasting my hard earned money on another one. It proved unreliable and unreliable doesn't go with me. Hopefully, my Bic lighter won't get wet. if it does, I'll stick to my cheap ferro and used the one hand method if need be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36YmIy4XXUM

Poor video, but the guy gets the point across.

No need to buy an overpriced gimmick.