Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
The end is near.

Thanked 1,073 Times in 452 Posts
Default Electro-fishing?

Advertise Here

OK, so this question is not for the next time my buddies and I want to go fishing for pleasure. It's for emergencies during a time when results count for everything and the method doesn't matter.

I want to know how to rig a hand-cranked generator so I can electrocute fish if I absolutely need to feed my family or just myself. How do I do it? Are there DIY plans for a device like this?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM

i've heard you can use an old fasion telephone, (think mayberry)
Stick the leads in the water and crank away.. dont think it kill's only stuns.

could be wrong.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,414 Times in 33,042 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Never done it myself (fishing with explosives is more fun!) but you can get the hand crank off the old military surplus crank phones. I know from playing around with one as a kid that they can generate quite a jolt. Works great for running earthworms to the surface for bait.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM
The end is near.

Thanked 1,073 Times in 452 Posts

Thanks, MikeK. I agree that fishing with explosives is much more fun. I just wanted a way to quietly and quickly get the fish and get out of there without announcing to every hungry person within earshot that I've got food.

I'll keep an eye out for old surplus crank phones.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,115 Times in 2,054 Posts

Funny story.

So I am working Central America in the late eighties, but when I get to come home I had bought a house on Sylvan Lake in Maywood in Olive Branch, Mississippi right across the Tennessee border from Memphis.

I was drinking too much in those days and would typically get up to some mischievousness during my short stays at home. Those were stress-filled years.

One of those day/nights/weekends included fishing Sylvan Lake while drinking (it is really more of a glorified big pond) ... and falling in the water out of the boat, swimming over to this stump pile, and laying my hand on the biggest water moccasin I had ever seen ... which probably had a lot to do with me being almost eye to eye with him and up to my chin in water trying to keep my drunk @$$ from drowning. He cut me some slack and I thanked him and he swam on ... but it gave me the eebie jeebies I can tell you that. I had already mentally accepted the fact that I was about to be bitten I was just hoping it was not going to be in the face.

Anyways ... so I finally get back to shore, because my buddy I was fishing with paddled back to shore without rowing over to pick me up once he saw the snake, his name was Mike, ... I get back to shore and I am pretty ticked-off that he had tipped the boat and caused me to fall out. But rather than stomp a mud hole in him right there, I planned my revenge.

You see, we had been planning on telephoning for fish when the sun went down - had been planning on doing it since the last time I was home.

We had gotten an old magneto type telephone, which had given us the idea in the first place, from a local antique shop in town. I had previously tried an old army crank field phone and it had not worked some months earlier ... but an old man who lived down on Old 78 (we called it Old 78, I think they call it 178 these days but it turns into Lamar as you get into Memphis), had showed us the error of our ways. His name was Spencer and I remember his wife's name was Mary and I think their last name was Wilder ... for anyone that may live in that area. A great old couple. True country folk who had lived their all their lives. Anyways ...

So later that night we had this magneto all rigged complete with fiberglass poles over each side of the jon boat and off we went ... Mike was just as blistered from smoking the mary jane and drinking, which he was notorious for doing and was the real reason I had been knocked out fo the boat earlier in the day - but once the sun went down he really cranked it up with the mary jane.

Well, we're cranking on that magneto down by the spillway and all of the sudden these fish start fluttering to the top. My intention was to dip them up with the net but if you stopped cranking they would regain their wits and swim off pretty quickly. So the plan was for me to crank in the back of the boat and Mike would reach over and net them ... but leave it to fat Mike he tries to grab one with his hand.

Over he goes, all 6'5" 300 pounds of him ... I thought I was going to have to tip the boat a little to get him in the water but he does it on his own.

Now, do I stop cranking? Heck no. I'm just laughing my @$$ off and cranking that magneto hard as I can and he is squealing like a little girl until he got out of range ... which wasn't too far, and over to the spillway where he climbs up on the rocks and out of the water panting like a wet dog that just swam in from Europe.

Justice was mine.

Later on, when we got back to the other side and on the shore, he said the shock was not unbearably painful, but that it seemed to hit him right in the gonads. Who knows why but that is what he claimed.

That's my only real experience with using a magneto to telephone for fish.

About three weeks later I caught my biggest bass in my life in Lake Managua from a little point just south of Santa Gertrudis on the other side of the lake from Managua using a survival rig, with live bait and a cane I had cut in the jungle and strung together out of boredom, while OPing in Nicaragua. I think they changed the name of the lake to Lake something else since then but I've always thought I would like to go back there and bass fish without having to worry about someone seeing me or shooting me. Or better yet, south of Managua was Lake Nicaragua and they say there is some of the finest bass fishing in the world there ... too bad the communists are everywhere down there.

Old surplus army phones do not seem to work. You need something more substantial, something with a bigger magneto in it. The magneto we were using, and it brings back memories and I wish I had managed to keep that old thing over the years, looked like a bunch of horseshoe magnets lined up with this round coil in the middle and a simple handle on the end that you cranked. The faster you cranked the more juice it turned out and it was pretty potent because I shocked myself with it accidentally out of water and it would sure as heck wake you up and make you smell burnt hairs in your nostrils.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
Funny story.

So I am working Central America in the late eighties, but when I get to come home I had bought a house on Sylvan Lake in Maywood in Olive Branch, Mississippi right across the Tennessee border from Memphis.

I was drinking too much in those days and would typically get up to some mischievousness during my short stays at home. Those were stress-filled years.

One of those day/nights/weekends included fishing Sylvan Lake while drinking (it is really more of a glorified big pond) ... and falling in the water out of the boat, swimming over to this stump pile, and laying my hand on the biggest water moccasin I had ever seen ... which probably had a lot to do with me being almost eye to eye with him and up to my chin in water trying to keep my drunk @$$ from drowning. He cut me some slack and I thanked him and he swam on ... but it gave me the eebie jeebies I can tell you that. I had already mentally accepted the fact that I was about to be bitten I was just hoping it was not going to be in the face.

Anyways ... so I finally get back to shore, because my buddy I was fishing with paddled back to shore without rowing over to pick me up once he saw the snake, his name was Mike, ... I get back to shore and I am pretty ticked-off that he had tipped the boat and caused me to fall out. But rather than stomp a mud hole in him right there, I planned my revenge.

You see, we had been planning on telephoning for fish when the sun went down - had been planning on doing it since the last time I was home.

We had gotten an old magneto type telephone, which had given us the idea in the first place, from a local antique shop in town. I had previously tried an old army crank field phone and it had not worked some months earlier ... but an old man who lived down on Old 78 (we called it Old 78, I think they call it 178 these days but it turns into Lamar as you get into Memphis), had showed us the error of our ways. His name was Spencer and I remember his wife's name was Mary and I think their last name was Wilder ... for anyone that may live in that area. A great old couple. True country folk who had lived their all their lives. Anyways ...

So later that night we had this magneto all rigged complete with fiberglass poles over each side of the jon boat and off we went ... Mike was just as blistered from smoking the mary jane and drinking, which he was notorious for doing and was the real reason I had been knocked out fo the boat earlier in the day - but once the sun went down he really cranked it up with the mary jane.

Well, we're cranking on that magneto down by the spillway and all of the sudden these fish start fluttering to the top. My intention was to dip them up with the net but if you stopped cranking they would regain their wits and swim off pretty quickly. So the plan was for me to crank in the back of the boat and Mike would reach over and net them ... but leave it to fat Mike he tries to grab one with his hand.

Over he goes, all 6'5" 300 pounds of him ... I thought I was going to have to tip the boat a little to get him in the water but he does it on his own.

Now, do I stop cranking? Heck no. I'm just laughing my @$$ off and cranking that magneto hard as I can and he is squealing like a little girl until he got out of range ... which wasn't too far, and over to the spillway where he climbs up on the rocks and out of the water panting like a wet dog that just swam in from Europe.

Justice was mine.

Later on, when we got back to the other side and on the shore, he said the shock was not unbearably painful, but that it seemed to hit him right in the gonads. Who knows why but that is what he claimed.

That's my only real experience with using a magneto to telephone for fish.

About three weeks later I caught my biggest bass in my life in Lake Managua from a little point just south of Santa Gertrudis on the other side of the lake from Managua using a survival rig, with live bait and a cane I had cut in the jungle and strung together out of boredom, while OPing in Nicaragua. I think they changed the name of the lake to Lake something else since then but I've always thought I would like to go back there and bass fish without having to worry about someone seeing me or shooting me. Or better yet, south of Managua was Lake Nicaragua and they say there is some of the finest bass fishing in the world there ... too bad the communists are everywhere down there.

Old surplus army phones do not seem to work. You need something more substantial, something with a bigger magneto in it. The magneto we were using, and it brings back memories and I wish I had managed to keep that old thing over the years, looked like a bunch of horseshoe magnets lined up with this round coil in the middle and a simple handle on the end that you cranked. The faster you cranked the more juice it turned out and it was pretty potent because I shocked myself with it accidentally out of water and it would sure as heck wake you up and make you smell burnt hairs in your nostrils.

You said........
Quote:
“once he saw the snake, his name was Mike, ... I get back to shore”
How do you know that the snake’s name was Mike?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Geronimo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning View Post
You said........

How do you know that the snake’s name was Mike?
My buddy's name was Mike, "Big Mike" we used to call him. He sold cars over on Covington Pike. I never caught the snake's name. I've always appreciated him not biting the snot out of me though. I've let many a snake go on their merry way as repayment to that snake that day ... and he was no simple water snake. He was a full fledged big brown and dark gray cottonmouth that for some reason just decided to cut me some slack that day. I think when I reached over and grabbed him on that log it surprised him as much as it did me. Still gives me the shivers when I think about it too much and I have been eyeball to eyeball with more than a few snakes over the decades in places all over the world ... been bitten by one or two mean water snakes running trot lines and drop lines - although the wasps in the bushes always seemed to give me more problems than the snakes.

But that old boy cut me some slack that day and he could have bit me right in the eyeball if he wanted to.

Every time I see that movie Kung Fu Hustle and the part where the guy gets bit in the face by the snakes ... it reminds me of that day.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,414 Times in 33,042 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
That's good to know about the army phones. I know I shocked myself a few times with one and it felt like wall current. I assumed it would be enough juice.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,286 Times in 526 Posts

It is enough. I used to use one when I was a teenager til the gamewarden caught me. He cut me alot of slack and took the field phone but did not write me a ticket. I caught more fish with that old phone than I ever did with a trot line.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,822 Times in 2,166 Posts

Got to wondering where a person could pick one up and I found this site

http://www.galaxynetradio.com/crank-magneto-2/
The Following User Says Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Geronimo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc79092 View Post
It is enough. I used to use one when I was a teenager til the gamewarden caught me. He cut me alot of slack and took the field phone but did not write me a ticket. I caught more fish with that old phone than I ever did with a trot line.
It didn't work for us. Now, I have been told that if you are going to use an army field phone then you have to have moving water, preferably with a stony bottom. No clue if that is true or not but if you do not have enough current then the body of water had to be just right ... don't ask me why, it's just what I've been told by the old boys over the years. And supposedly the old army land line field phones from WWII were the magneto type verses the 1 amp 90 watt phones we had leftover from Vietnam by the time I got in the service. Again, I'm the messenger not the prover of the theory.

I just know the army field phone did not work for us.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 22,561 Times in 9,168 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Fish biologists legally can use a system like that.

From a row boat they drop one length of chain on the port side and a second chain on the starboard side. Both chains are connected to a coil and they zap the water.

Fish will be stunned for a minute and float to the surface.

I have seen the equipment sold in scientific catalogs.