Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-30-2010, 12:13 AM

Default Walmart Deer Corn? Anyone prepping this?

Advertise Here

while at wally world, passed through sportings good and out in the middle of the aisle there were huge pallets of Deer Corn, it says, Super Filtered and cleaned. 25lbs for $6.50.. Hmmm

anyone doing this?

pro's/con's

thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 01:00 AM

I wouldn't buy the corn from wal-mart unless you don't have a feed mill close to you. You can buy 100 pounds of corn at a feed mill or feed mill store for under $10. If you do this make sure you have a non electric way to mill it into corn flower. Hope that helps some.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VooDoo Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,279 Times in 485 Posts

I bought a fifty pound bag of whole corn from Walmart and plan to buy more. It was around $8 per bag. There are a number of feed places around and I've seen nothing around these parts larger than fifty pounds and certainly not cheaper.

I decided that whatever the hell might be in it (that I don't even want to know) besides the labels claim of 100% corn couldn't be any worse than all the additives, pesticides and hormones that are in most people's food anyway.

If this corn has an occasional pebble or bug in it I don't think it's a biggie and besides, in the middle ages if I went to the market and bought a bushel of corn, pebbles, bugs, what's the difference?

Starvation would be worse I think.

I need to update this post. The bag was forty pounds, not fifty.

Last edited by boomerscaboose; 08-30-2010 at 09:19 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to boomerscaboose For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,352 Times in 2,909 Posts

I have my own home grown corn drying on the stalk right now. Looks like I'll get about four to five buckets of grain off of it and that's after I picked and canned several cases of fresh.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,105 Times in 2,051 Posts

I've often wondered if that deer corn from Wally World would be any good to mash into hootchie post shtf.

We can get corn around here for about $8.00 per 100 pound bag - it's been dry filtered and run through the blowers but it is not completely clean. Still, it works fine as feed corn and, I wouldn't know, but I imagine it could be mashed into some pretty good hootchie wort ... for ethanol or whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,030 Times in 798 Posts

Sam's sells 50 lb bags of popcorn
Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 AM
What would Mal do

Thanked 4,075 Times in 1,450 Posts

1 bag good for us around here cause we use it to bring the deer into our critter cam area...so when it would come down to hunting..it'll be the best way to draw em in to us before all the other hunters take em out...
Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkeagle View Post
Ouch !! i saw those bags, if i remember right it was $$$
Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,324 Posts

Notice that that deer corn is "filtered", but not washed. Also there are many types of corn, so I'd rehydrate some to try before you stock it for personal consumption.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Thanked 3,747 Times in 1,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerscaboose View Post
I bought a fifty pound bag of whole corn from Walmart and plan to buy more. It was around $8 per bag. There are a number of feed places around and I've seen nothing around these parts larger than fifty pounds and certainly not cheaper.

I decided that whatever the hell might be in it (that I don't even want to know) besides the labels claim of 100% corn couldn't be any worse than all the additives, pesticides and hormones that are in most people's food anyway.

If this corn has an occasional pebble or bug in it I don't think it's a biggie and besides, in the middle ages if I went to the market and bought a bushel of corn, pebbles, bugs, what's the difference?

Starvation would be worse I think.
+1

I did the same thing with bags of deer corn I purchased at Tractor Supply.
They are called "Record Rack" 40lb for ~$6
The label says they are pure corn and aflatoxin free.
The contents were a bit dusty and did contain a few small pieces of cob, but were otherwise OK, so I packed it up.
I tried to contact the company to see if there were any additives, but got no reply. I really doubt it since it is cheaper to just bag corn and sell it. I also agree with the above. Deer thrive on it, so I'm not to worried about eating it an a survival situation.

I did make a loaf of cornbread with it. It was GREAT. Ground up easily and tasted good.

JMHO.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BuellerBueller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Hiker

Its far cheaper from the co-op here. I "think" its four something per 50lb. bag. I take 55 gal. drums and get em filled for feed...lots cheaper. I really dont know the price as i have a 16' trailer full of barrels that i have filled with different feeds and grains at the same time. For use as food, why not? It may not be the cleanest but neither is "do it yourself" corn till you clean it. Just use it like noraml and clean it before use. As far as stocking it for deer bait in case shtf...i would use it myself before i fed it to animals. Deer wont be hard to get once the laws dont apply....for the little while they last anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to 72shane For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=boomerscaboose;1871032]I bought a fifty pound bag of whole corn from Walmart and plan to buy more. It was around $8 per bag. There are a number of feed places around and I've seen nothing around these parts larger than fifty pounds and certainly not cheaper.
QUOTE]

Where in walmart are the 50lb bags at ?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:31 PM

[quote=RandynCindy;1871926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerscaboose View Post
QUOTE]

Where in walmart are the 50lb bags at ?

Sporting goods if yours stocks hunting supplies.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkeagle View Post
Yes. Good for storage, but you will break your arms trying to grind the stuff.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,612 Times in 28,631 Posts

I would buy wheat if they had it, but I doubt I'd buy the corn. There are too many sources of popcorn in bulk. You can get 50 lb bags of it at Sams and most everywhere else. They also have it already packed in buckets. Corn can be prone to aflatoxin. I would rather spend a few extra pennies to get a known food grade version.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Walking methane refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuellerBueller View Post
Yes. Good for storage, but you will break your arms trying to grind the stuff.
I grind it all the time. It's a little more work than wheat, but it's not that bad. I guess it depends on the mill. It sure does make great tasting corn meal though.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Enjoying Life

A couple of years ago my son who worked for wally world was told to take a couple of bug bombs and place in the storage container that held the deer corn and set them off and lock the doors! I have always wondered what effect it had on the corn.

Just a note from the Past.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiteFly22LR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,229 Times in 845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I grind it all the time. It's a little more work than wheat, but it's not that bad. I guess it depends on the mill. It sure does make great tasting corn meal though.
I've been thinking of this since the farmers have been harvesting the corn around here. Is there any other way to make this product edible except as corn meal?
I tried to rehydrate some this past weekend. Twenty-four hours in a bucket of water did not seem to effect it at all.
Does this form of corn meal have any advantages over the stuff you get at the grocery...other than price? (After factoring in the cost of a grinder, that is)
Old 08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
old hand

Thanked 6,216 Times in 2,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
I've been thinking of this since the farmers have been harvesting the corn around here. Is there any other way to make this product edible except as corn meal?
I tried to rehydrate some this past weekend. Twenty-four hours in a bucket of water did not seem to effect it at all.
Does this form of corn meal have any advantages over the stuff you get at the grocery...other than price? (After factoring in the cost of a grinder, that is)
I'm thinking you are talking about dent corn.

You won't 'rehydrate' it ... it is not dried out, it is ripe.
(sweet corn is harvested/canned/frozen/eaten before it is ripe, typically in the milk stage)

IMHO ... The best way to 'make it edible' is to feed it to an animal and eat the animal.

Incidentally, I eat a few handfulls each year when I'm combining.
The super-yielders typically taste pretty bland.

Keltgen field corn tastes the best.
Attached Thumbnails
eric 008.jpg   Jade 034.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ex-hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Walking methane refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
Dried corn doesn't rehydrate like dried sweet corn would. There's no other way I know of to use it other than grind it or make hominy. Making hominy involves a lot of boiling and soaking but the process also frees up the niacin that is locked up and unusable otherwise. The net has instructions on making your own. I've used the lye method a few times and it's a lot of work.

The advantages over store bought corn meal are mainly storage life. Dried corn will last for decades but corn meal won't. But it is also more nutritious and far better tasting. I got spoilt to it and store bought corn meal is a bland substitute in comparison.